Author Topic: Anyone Looking For Cunningham And Swales In Yorks?  (Read 105344 times)

Offline magpie28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Looking For Cunningham And Swales In Yorks?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 15 January 09 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I also have Cunninghams and Swales in my family,they traveled around Yorkshire and the north east,and some of them [my grandmothers family]ended up in Scotland and as you say married into travelers from Scotland,also the Forrests and Varey.The familys seemed to marry into the same familys over the generations, Ive came across a few pattisons,morrisons and Burnsides,but it is a nightmare trying to find them on census returns. magpie28
Paton,Clark, Campbell,Mitchell,Anderson. Ayrshire.
Clark,McGowan,Ruddoch[Riddock]Ayrshire,Ireland
Croan Edinburgh
Swales,Robertson,Cunningham,Varey,Forrest,Knowles,Young,Gordon.
Travelers England and Scotland

Offline whpool

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 February 09 04:56 GMT (UK) »
To Kirky,

have just sent a pm

whpool
Atkinson/Campbell - Sunderland area
Davison - Hartlepool [old side]
Ward - Ireland, Whitby, West Hartlepool
Ross - Bishop Auckland
Rogers - Stirling, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall
Hocking - Cornwall
Pattison - Scotland, north England, [travellers]
Welsh - Ireland, Co Durham [travellers]

Offline Jan58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My grandmother was Mabel Swales born at Pickering, I believe her dad was William Swales and her mother possibly Margaret Adams from Middlesborough? I know my Swales family has strong links with kirby Moorside and Pickering. I believe I have grandparents born at Kirby Moorside. My grandmother Mabel married James Hall, they lived alot at Knaresborough, they had children Elizabeth Hall, Jane Hall, James Hall and William Hall. I know my grandmother had sisters,  Violet who lived at Malton, Margaret who lived at York, can't remember other names. Sorry if I seem abit unsure it is my first time on this site.  :)

Offline carrie-ann

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 March 09 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have members of the 'Swales' family in my tree.  Through Ann Davey b. 1828  -  N.Cave.
Ann  married Robert Swales b.1826 - Kirkbymoorside.

Does anyone know if the Ann came from a 'travelling family' ??

Offline Jan58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 March 09 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
not sure if Robert is related. My grandmother Mabel swales was born at Pickering, I have recieved information her father was William Swales and her mother was Margaret Adams. William swales dad was James Swales and his mother Mabel Busfield. Margaret Adams Mother is John Adams and mother is Christiana (maiden name not known). My Swales family are from Pickering and Kirby Moorside and where ever else they moved to,
Regards Janice

Offline Makayla77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 June 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
hi i see you are related to hannibal swales who married christiana stephenson. i am related to them 2 . i come down from their son richard born 1850.i dont suppose you have any idea where the family was in 1841. i have looked for days and days and had no  luck in finding them.

many thanks
makayla
Douglas and Ellis: Yorkshire
Craggs: Durham/yorkshire
Bailey:Yorkshire/notts/shropshire
Clavering: Durham
Bradford: Yorkshire
Buttery: Shropshire/notts
Robinson: Durham
Golightly: Durham

Steele: Yorkshire
Atkinson: Yorkshire
Paskin: Yorkshire
Yarrow: Yorkshire

Offline Jan58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 August 09 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,
1851 census
 Hannibal Swales age 41 hawker, Christiana wife, Lovinah age 14, living 8 flag Row?, Thornaby.
1661 census
 Hannibal an earthenwear dealer, Christiana wife, Hannah daughter, Richard, Isabella and James (niece and nephew). All living at Walkers Build?, Guisborough.
1871 census
Hannibal, Christiana, age 72. Issac Morrison age 40 and Mary Morrison age 7 lodging with them. Living 71 Church Street.
1891 census
Hannibal and Christiana age 85, living 10 Old Chapel Road, Guisborough (Pedlar/Hawker John their grandson was living with them age 13.

Sorry have no info. regarding 1841 census for Hannibal, quite hard to find anything.
Regards Jan :D

Offline Jan58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 20 August 09 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
1851 census
 Hannibal Swales age 41 hawker, Christiana wife, Lovinah age 14, living 8 flag Row?, Thornaby.
1661 census
 Hannibal an earthenwear dealer, Christiana wife, Hannah daughter, Richard, Isabella and James (niece and nephew). All living at Walkers Build?, Guisborough.
1871 census
Hannibal, Christiana, age 72. Issac Morrison age 40 and Mary Morrison age 7 lodging with them. Living 71 Church Street.
1891 census
Hannibal and Christiana age 85, living 10 Old Chapel Road, Guisborough (Pedlar/Hawker John their grandson was living with them age 13.

Sorry have no info. regarding 1841 census for Hannibal, quite hard to find anything.
Regards Jan :D

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 22 August 09 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Just googled for Swales family history and come across these posts.   My great grandmother was Christiana Swales born in Pickering 1871 the daugher of Mark Swales and Elizabeth Stephenson.  Mark's parents were James  Swales and Mabel Busfield.  Am currently doing this line in my Tree on Ancestry and trying to sort out the two James Swales born Kirkby Moorside 1816 and 1817.  The Swales seem to have all been hawkers, potters or earthenware dealers and intermarried amongst themselves together with the Busfield, Adams and obviously a few other families.  I find this

line absolutely intriguing and mind boggling when trying to put them all together.

Val ::)
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London