Author Topic: Anyone Looking For Cunningham And Swales In Yorks?  (Read 105258 times)

Offline Jan58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Looking For Cunningham And Swales In Yorks?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 August 09 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I know what you mean about the families marrying into each other. My grandfather was William Swales from kirby Moorside who married Margaret Adams.  Keep up the good work with your research, great to hear from you all,
Jan

Offline manishen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 September 09 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a Hannah Swales (b.1800 Kirkbymoorside Yorks) married to Isaac Morrison (b.1799 dalton lancs). Hannah's parents were Francis swales (b.1780 Durham) and Christina Stevenson.
Varey, Cunningham, Young, Swales, Forest, Morrison, Ross, Miller: travellers and earthenware dealers across lancs, Cumbria, Westmorland, Yorkshire, Durham, Northumberland

Offline manishen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 28 September 09 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, I also have a web of Forrests, Swailes, Morrisons, Cunninghams, Vareys, Millers marrying each other, around Northumberland, Yorkshire and Lancs area, all hawkers/earthenware/horse dealers/travellers. They include a Swailes Forrest (b.1771) brother of Hannibal, married to Christian Millar (1770) daughter of Jacob.
Varey, Cunningham, Young, Swales, Forest, Morrison, Ross, Miller: travellers and earthenware dealers across lancs, Cumbria, Westmorland, Yorkshire, Durham, Northumberland

Offline tracybsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 18:27 GMT (UK) »
My father was Joseph Cunningham born in Leeds 1926 died 2001.  His parents were Joseph Cunningham born 1904 died 1951 and Violet Edeson born c1907 died 1962.

My paternal great grandparents were Joseph Cunningham born 1884 died 1914 and Nancy Maguire.   Nancy's parents were John Maguire 1855 and Ann Watson 1861.  John Maguire's parents were Bridget and Daniel 1821.   Nancy's sister Janey 1881 married Joseph's brother William 1878.  Joseph and William's parents were Richard Cunningham 1858 and Elizabeth Morrison 1861.  Elizabeth's parents were Joseph Morrison 1803 and Marth born c1807.  Richard was the son of William Cunningham 1824 and Martha Jackson 1834.  William Cunningham was the son of Richard Cunningham c1790 and Mary Miller c1792.  This Richard Cunningham was the brother of Grace Cunningham who married John Wilson c1795 and appears in my grandmother's tree also.  Grace and Richard's father was  John Cunningham c1770.

Violet's parents were Jeremiah Edeson  born 1869 and Annie Stranack/Stronach born c1872.  Jeremiah's parents were Charles Edeson and Mary Ann Swales.  Charles was the son of John Edeson his mother was Hannah.  Mary Ann was the daughter of Jeremiah Swales c1815 and Elizabeth Wilson c1817.  Elizabeth Wilson was the daughter of John Wilson c1795 and Grace Cunningham c1793. Jeremiah Swales was the son of James Swales c1786 and Esther Sowden c1792.  James' parents were Thomas Swales c1765 and Elizabeth Moon c1765. Esther Sowden's parents were Jeremiah Sowden c1765 and his wife Jane.

Can anyone add to this or offer any other information.  Thanks

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tracey

I come down James Swales 1816 Kirkbymoorside line, he was the brother of Jeremiah 1814.  If you go onto familysearch you will find the Swales back to the 1600s in batch P012131.   You will also find the Swales in Crayke are connected to the Swales in Kilburn.   

There are a number of Trees on A....try that have these families in them.  If your not confused when you start you certainly will be when you finish.  My mother told me this intermarrying carried on into the 1900s.  Her grandmother was Christiana Swales born Pickering 1871.  In the 1891 census she is described as a hawker.

Good luck with your research.

Val  ::) ::)
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 11:34 GMT (UK) »
1901 Census Attercliffe *** Darnall Yorkshire *  All in caravans*
: RG13; Piece: 4385; Folio: 147; Page: 21.

George Booth............49 b 1852 Ashover Derbyshire -pedlar/Hawker
Elizabeth.....................33 b1868 Lincolinshire
Henery.........................17 b 1884 Brightside yorkshire-Pedlar/Hawker
George.........................14 b 1887 Sheffield
Lavina...........................12 b 1889 Sheffield
Isabella........................ 9 b 1892 Sheffield
Samuel.........................7 b 1894 Sheffield
John...............................1 b 1900 Sheffield
+
more families
Albert Stacey............26 b 1875 Sheffield -hawker
Charlotte..................21 b 1880 Sheffield
Eva...........................17 b 1884 Sheffield
Annie..........................2 b1899 Sheffield
+
William Swales...........36 b 1865 Kirkmoorside yorkshire -hawker
Margaret....................35 b 1866 Earingwold Yorkshire
Elizabeth....................12 b1889 Pickering Yorkshire
Mable..........................10 b 1891 Pickering
Margaret ..............3wks b 1901 Attercliffe
+
William Graham...........62 b 1839 Spilly moore Cumberland -Steam Cran Driver
Mary............................64 b1837 Leeds Yorkshire
+
William Graham...........31 b 1870 Leeds.........Wood joiner* Carpenter*
Kate.............................26 b 1875 Sheffield
Barbara........................7 b 1894 Sheffield
Albert...........................2 b Sheffield

can anyone help here? I am trying to figure out the link to the families above
 I put it here because of Swales link
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 13 February 10 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

My ggggrandparents were Alexander Stephenson 1821 Rievaulx yorkshire and Mary Stewart 1825 Gateshead Durham.   Mary Stewart's parents were Hugh Stewart and Mary Patterson born 1801 Gateshead,  Mary Patterson's parents were Thomas Patterson b. 1769 Gateshead and Isabella Cunningham.  Have hit a brick wall with Isabella Cunningham and can't find a marriage for her either on IGI.   

Thought maybe someone who is researching these families may be able to help.

Thanks Val
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.

Offline EML

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 19 February 10 15:50 GMT (UK) »
My mother is a swales and my father is a Cunningham

My Fathers ggggrandad James born18.10 came from paisley Scotland he married Mary ? who's son John born Scarborough 1836 married Margaret Emma Wilkinson born Middlesbrough 1842, who also had a son called john born 1861 who went on to have 21 children to his wife Elizabeth Ann Whelan born 1865.

I have posted a picture of Richard Swales with his wife Elisabeth who also was born a swales and their children, Richard was the son of Hannibal Swales and Christiana Stephenson.
My ggrandather is Zachariah sat on the left with a flat cap, He married Frances Calvert who went on to have around 11 children.

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 20 February 10 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi EML,

That's very interesting.   Have had a look at all you put and think we have a connection.  Christiana Stephenson born abt 1809, baptised Pickering 1812.  Think she is the sister of Alexander Stephenson born 1822 Reivaulx.  He doesn't come up on IGI for his birth, but I have his marriage certificate and father is Edward. 

Was wondering if you have access to 1891 census.  If so, you will see your Richard and Elizabeth and their children in Guisborough.  Also you will see a lot of other Swales and Stephensons.  You will note James Harker and his wife Christiana (nee Swales born 1871 Pickering)  They are my great grandparents.   Think your great grandfather Zachariah, could be my mother's uncle Zac.

Would be interested in your thoughts on this.

Val