Author Topic: Kendal Parish Records to buy  (Read 20409 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Kendal Parish Records to buy
« on: Friday 18 April 08 17:03 BST (UK) »
I notice that S&N have Kendal Parish Records available to buy on CD from 1596 to 1631.

Does anyone know if any later Kendal PRs are available to buy anywhere?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kendal Parish Records to buy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 April 08 18:50 BST (UK) »
I expect the Cumbria FHS would be able to tell you.    www.cumbriafhs.com/
Or the record office in Kendal?
Andrea

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 April 08 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrea,

I've already checked out the FHS website and what few publications they do have seem to be mostly MIs and censuses.

I double checked the Archives site but, as I thought, they don't seem to have anything - very few Archives/Record Offices are in the publications-selling market.

That's why I wondered if anyone had come across another company like S&N which might just have some Kendal PRs for sale.

I've hit a bloomin great big brickwall with my Troughtons of Kendal. I've even had paid research done by Kendal Archives - they're very nice people but it's very expensive and takes forever! Plus, there's a limit to what you can ask them to look up in - say - one hour. It would be nice to be able to trot along to Kendal in person but I don't live anywhere near (wish I did, it's beautiful!).

Oh well, I'll keep searching - and hopefully S & N will extend their CD coverage of Kendal PRs.  :-\

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 April 08 13:43 BST (UK) »
Surely the record office will be aware of any published transcripts?   I would hope so or they are not doing their job properly!
The look up exchange website may have someone who is prepared to help you.    That is rarely mentioned on rootschat but it is a sort of precursor to us and is region specific - even document specific.   I offer a school record in Sussex for instance.  I have not had a query for a long time but I assume it is still going.
I go up to Cumbria once or twice a year as we have relatives in the area but have just been so it would be a long wait!
Are you not near an LDS centre?   That is the obvious way forward as you can order any parish register film and search it there at your leisure.
Andrea

Offline DickieDoodle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 April 08 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It sounds like your CD is a transcript from a transcript of the PRs, available for reference only in book form at Kendal Local Studies Library.

Book III transcribed by R.N.Birley in 1952, in conjunction with CWAAS, includes baps. for 1596-9, marrs. & burs. 1591-9 and baps. 1607-31. Book IV, also transcribed by R.N.Birley in 1960 on behalf of CWAAS, covers marrs. 1606-31 and burs. from 1606-31. Both books are fully indexed.

Regards

DD

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Just to let you all know that there is a gap in the PRs for Holy Trinity from 1631 to 1679 and the Bishops Transcripts only cover 1673 to 1676 for the same period.

The good news is that I have not yet found any baptisms or marriages that ARE NOT on the family search (IGI) website, give or take the odd mispelling, although this cannot be said for the other chapels within the parish. 

The bad news is that I cannot find any other transcripts for Holy Trinity, there are very few for the chapels also, and find this as frustrating as everyone else does.

Keep plugging away!

Best Wishes

Chris

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 22:42 BST (UK) »
As far as I am aware the only register transcripts, for Kendal, available in printed form cover
Part I: 1558-1587
part II: marriages and burials and burials 1558-1587, baptisms 1591-1595
part III: baptisms, 1596-9, marriages and burials, 1591-9, baptisms 1607-31;
part IV: marriages and burials 1606-1631;
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 April 08 11:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, Guy - those are the only ones that I'm aware of.

If Chris is right and there is in fact a gap in the PRs between 1631 & 1679, then it looks as though I'm not going to be able to go any further. The furthest back I have with my Troughtons is William of Fellside who married in 1705.  It seems likely that he was baptised prior to 1679 and, anyway, it would be well nigh impossible to tie him in with earlier Troughtons when there's a near 50 year gap. Oh well!

Chris, when you say 'other chapels within the parish', am I correct in assuming you mean other denominations?

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 April 08 19:13 BST (UK) »
At the end of the 18th C, Kendal Parish included the outlying villages, which all had their own chapel. Some were improved or rebuilt and became churches in their own right by the implementation of the Parochial registers Act or Rose's Act of 1812, but these are the C.E. chapels I was refering to. I also forgot about the All Hallows chapel on Fellside which William may have gone to.

I should perhaps just clarify that whilst there are not many missing entries on the IGI for Holy Trinity (Parish Church), there are quite a lot missing from these chapels. It is also confusing due to the fact that these chapels transcribed entries annually into the Parish Records at Holy Trinity, and so a lot of IGI entries are stated as Kendal before 1813 (meaning Kendal Parish), where in actual fact the event took place in one of the villages.

I know none of this will help you get any further back Jill, but it may help if you decide to look sideways at other family members.

Chris