Author Topic: Kendal Parish Records to buy  (Read 20374 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Kendal Parish Records to buy
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 June 08 20:28 BST (UK) »
Gillian - that's great. Thanks for the tip! I've already emailed them, so I'll wait to see if I get an answer and ring them if I don't.

brill!  ;D

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Loganberry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 June 08 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Jill,
I too am a descendant of the Troughton’s of Kendal.

I think we have been in touch before.

From my notes taken from the parish records in Kendal;
William Troughton baptised on the 9th March 1683 {Fellside Kendal]
Son of Thomas and Agnes Troughton.
Thomas Troughton and Agnes Wilson married 1679 September 23rd in Kendal
Could this be the William Troughton married in 1705?

I have a copy of a will of my 4 x great-grandfather; John Troughton 1734 -1805.
He was a weaver, there is a great deal of info in the will, he was quite well off, he even left money to be distributed among the poor of the area; until I found John’s will I thought the Troughton’s were the poor of the area, things were very different to what I believed they were!

Cheers
Carol

Thanks, Deborah.

No, I didn't already know any of it - so thanks very much.  ;D

I'll take a look on A2A - at least one of my Troughtons was a weaver - I don't know the others' occupations yet. I doubt that they were sufficiently well off to leave wills but it's certainly worth a look. I've already found a shepherd ancestor in Oxfordshire who left a will - not that he had much but I think he was trying to sort out his children who didn't seem to get on with each other!

Jill

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 June 08 18:50 BST (UK) »
Wow, Loganberry, that's stopped me in my tracks!!  :o

Yes, I think that 1686 baptism must be the William Troughton who married Agnes Harrison in 1705. Their first son was named Thomas - presumably after William's father - and he's described as from Fellside in the marriage entry.

I'm intrigued by your 4xgreat grandfather John (1734 - 1805).

I only have 2 children of William & Agnes - Thomas (1706) and Richard (1707). My line is through Richard's son John (1750), so is your John the son of Thomas?!!  :-\

I also assumed that my Troughtons were not too well off so hadn't really pursued the possibility of any wills. If you don't mind, I'd love to know how your John is related to mine and if any of my Troughtons were mentioned in your John's will.

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 June 08 16:32 BST (UK) »
Just a quick update.

I had a very speedy reply from Cumbria Archives. They'd looked up my names and made no charge - so that's proved me wrong!  :-[

Unfortunately, none of them seem to have left a will, which is no great surprise, but a little disappointing.

With the gap in the PRs 1631-79, has anyone any ideas as to how I might get any further back?

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline TishIrwin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 July 08 14:18 BST (UK) »
Chris,

Your note that the Holy Trinity records include those of outlying chapels might help explain the trouble I have had tracking down the actual church/chapel for a marriage I found on the IGI; John Willan and Anne Shalmerdine on 24 Sept 1758 in 'Kendal'. It's not clear to me if this is a marriage at Holy Trinity or elsewhere. If anyone can help me to locate it, or has further information on either John Willan or Anne Shalmerdine, I'd be very grateful. Thanks

Tish

At the end of the 18th C, Kendal Parish included the outlying villages, which all had their own chapel. Some were improved or rebuilt and became churches in their own right by the implementation of the Parochial registers Act or Rose's Act of 1812, but these are the C.E. chapels I was refering to. I also forgot about the All Hallows chapel on Fellside which William may have gone to.

I should perhaps just clarify that whilst there are not many missing entries on the IGI for Holy Trinity (Parish Church), there are quite a lot missing from these chapels. It is also confusing due to the fact that these chapels transcribed entries annually into the Parish Records at Holy Trinity, and so a lot of IGI entries are stated as Kendal before 1813 (meaning Kendal Parish), where in actual fact the event took place in one of the villages.

I know none of this will help you get any further back Jill, but it may help if you decide to look sideways at other family members.

Chris

Offline TishIrwin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 13:16 BST (UK) »
Chris,

Thanks for your personal message to which I didn't seem to be able to reply. Thanks for offering to look the marriage up and I will do as you suggest and start a new topic (I'm very new to this!).

Tish

Offline DickieDoodle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 December 08 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Jill,

Are you still interested in Kendal Parish burials?

You may wish to check out www.southwest-familyhistory.com

View the link to South Westmorland Family History on the Resources page.

DD

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 December 08 22:20 GMT (UK) »
DD,

Thanks for your post. Yes, I'm still interested, but unfortunately, the link you give is just to a research service.

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline DickieDoodle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 December 08 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes, but they also seem to be selling Marriages & Burials, and as your topic title is Kendal Parish Records to buy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I just thought . . . . . .