Author Topic: Samuel Andrews - Hatfield Broad Oak 1804  (Read 16196 times)

Offline S.J Detective

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Samuel Andrews - Hatfield Broad Oak 1804
« on: Friday 18 April 08 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I am seeking information about Samuel Andrews, his sidlings and parents.  All I know is that he was born in Hatfield Broad Oak abt 1804.

Please could someone help me trace this family, it's proving difficult to work out, and information seems sparse on the web.

I would also be interested in any Essex family history websites which might include Hatfield Broad Oak.

Also keen to hear from any other local researchers working on the Andrews family from this area.

Thanks for looking

S.J Detective
Leicestershire - Cotterill (Kegworth), Quincey (Hinckley), Abbott, Hollingworth, Hill, Kilby, Haywood, Brigstock, Neal, Howett, Broom, Marriott, Payne, Rawson, Foster, Squires
Rutland - Saddington
Notts - Hollingworth (Lenton), Stokes, Street, Henson
Northants (Wakerley) - Woodcock
Cambs (Wilbraham's, Chesterton, Fulbourn, Swaffham's) - Cross, Hancock, Ireson, Fulcher, Asplen, Isaacson, Edwards
Warks (Nuneaton) - Carter, Green
Derby - Stokes
Essex - Andrews
Suffolk (Ipswich) - Bodycot

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Andrews - Hatfield Broad Oak 1804
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 April 08 22:34 BST (UK) »
You probably already have this IGI entry but it gives Samuel jnrs middle name and also mothers maiden name

SAMUEL_GERSHOM ANDREWS  Birth:  27 JAN 1837   

Christening:  25 JUN 1837   Downing Street Or Church Of Christ-Independent, Cambridge
Father:  SAMUEL ANDREWS    Mother:  MARY BOWER 

SAMUEL ANDREWS    Spouse:  MARY BOWERS 
Marriage:  17 MAY 1835   Barnwell, Cambridge 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 April 08 22:42 BST (UK) »
Purely because Samuel jnr was christened in an Independent Church - this is on the IGI but there is no way of knowing if it's the right entry

SAMUEL ANDREWS  Birth:  10 JUL 1802  Christening:  24 FEB 1803   Independent, Bocking, Essex,

Father:  MORDECAI ANDREWS    Mother:  HANNAH LITCHFIELD 

The family in 1841 has an 18 yr old Thomas Andrews apprentice living with them - shown as not born in county
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 April 08 23:19 BST (UK) »
I've pasted below part of a message I sent in July 2007 to someone else about the Hatfield Broad Oak records:

Hatfield Broad Oak - No registers have been deposited at Essex RO. The parish guide at Essex RO gives a contact point as :
Mrs Carol Toogood, Bickmere Cottage, Dunmow Road, Bishops Stortford, CM22 7JJ

There are some transcripts for HBO available at Essex RO but they do not cover the period/type you are interested in except possibly the marriages viz:
Bishop's Transcripts of Baptisms 1800 1877  D/CR 177  Many gaps in years. Original
 Bishop's Transcripts of Burials 1800 1877  D/CR 177  Many gaps in years. Original
 Bishop's Transcripts of Marriages 1800 1852  D/CR 177  Many gaps in years. Original
 Census 1811 1811  D/P 4/18/2  Original
 Census 1821 1821  D/P 4/18/9  Original
 Transcript of marriages 1662 1753  T/R 25/1  Original

That info seems to be relevant to your request except that the baptism of Samuel Andrews may be found in D/CR 177 at Essex RO

Offline S.J Detective

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 April 08 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hello CaroleW and Clincher,

Many thanks for your posts, help and advice.

I was aware of Samuel jnrs christening details, but the street info is new  :) I'll have to look up Downing Street next time I visit Cambridge.  The marriage date and location are new, great many thanks for finding these, I just had the year.  :) :)

I am inclined to believe, until I can prove otherwise that Mordecai and Hannah Litchfield were Samuels parents.  I have a child of Samuels with the middle name Mordecai, it's not an everyday name so that's a bit of a coincidence.  :)

CaroleW could you please supply the census ref for 1841 that you mention I cannot find the family in that year, I have the rest though.

Thanks again, very useful information.

S.J Detective
Leicestershire - Cotterill (Kegworth), Quincey (Hinckley), Abbott, Hollingworth, Hill, Kilby, Haywood, Brigstock, Neal, Howett, Broom, Marriott, Payne, Rawson, Foster, Squires
Rutland - Saddington
Cambs (Wilbraham's, Chesterton, Fulbourn, Swaffham's) - Cross, Hancock, Ireson, Fulcher, Asplen, Isaacson, Edwards
Derby - Stokes
Essex - Andrews

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 April 08 23:11 BST (UK) »
CaroleW could you please supply the census ref for 1841 that you mention I cannot find the family in that year, I have the rest though.

They were in Cambridge and the ref is   HO107 Piece 85/ Book3  Folio 7 Page 8

Offline S.J Detective

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 April 08 09:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW, for the 1841 census link.

S.J Detective
Rutland - Saddington
Derby - Stokes
Essex - Andrews

Offline m123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 14:01 BST (UK) »
I have no particular knowledge of Samuel but have done some research on several generations of Mordecai Andrews.

Mordecai I  c1715-49 Brought into revive moribund independent church in Petticoat St, London as a 'young man', presumably from Bocking. Expanded congregation so much they took over bigger premises in Artillery Row. Wife Sarah, children Mordecai II, Mary and Hannah.

Mordecai II 22/12/1738 - before 1820. Became independent minister of Great Coggeshall in immediate succession to Henry Peyto (can anyone tell me more about him?), perhaps around 1770. Married Elizabeth (probably Rutt) as children were Mordecai III, George Rutt, John Rutt, Edward, Charlotte, Charles, Eliza, Harriet, Frederick.

Mordecai III 1780-1820. wife Hannah Litchfield, son Samuel who might be yours, though born Bocking. Record of death says son of late Rev Mordecai Andrews. Which of Samuel's sons had Mordecai as second name?

Hope this helps
Mike

Offline S.J Detective

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 May 08 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike,

Welcome and many thanks for posting your research on the Mordecai Andrews, very much appreciated.  The furthest back I can confirm is Mordecai III who I have married to Hannah Litchfield as well, see CaroleW earlier posting.  Very interesting to read that Mordecai I & II were Independent church Ministers.

Samuel's son Cornelius born Dec 1839 in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less had the second name Mordecai.  I have two more children that I know of born to Samuel at present they were, Samuel Gershom Andrews b.27/01/1837 and Ebenezer b.1842 both Cambridge.  I have no idea yet where the name 'Gershom' came from, but guessing a grandparent possibly from the female side of the family.

Thanks again Mike, these leads have given me a lot more to research about the interesting Andrews family.

S.J Detective
Rutland - Saddington
Derby - Stokes
Essex - Andrews