Author Topic: Deaths in Sunderland Shipyards  (Read 23867 times)

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths in Sunderland Shipyards
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 19 November 20 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your message, I have the information concerning the death of young Robert in 1936, the accident was on the 8th June and he died two days later in the Royal Infirmary.
I do not have anything on the death of his father. Do you have any information on Robert senior's death ?
I have two photos of Robert's headstone and a copy of the burial record he was buried in Sunderland Cemetery. I would be more than pleased to forward these to you.

Ryhopelad

HAINES/HAYNES - Leicester, Northampton, Derby, Warwick
SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham
SHIPBUILDING FATALITIES & ACCIDENTS ON THE RIVER WEAR, SUNDERLAND

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 19 November 20 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Danny 61

Have just looked at the newspapers on the Find My Past site and found the inquest report regarding Robert Brewerton' death (12th July 1948). It appears he was cycling to work and collided with a lorry just before he got to Bartram's shipyard where he was employed as a labourer. A verdict of accidental death was returned, he is buried in Sunderland Cemetery.

Let me know if you also want a copy of the inquest report.

Ryhopelad

SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham

Offline Danny61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 19 November 20 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thanks very much for your reply. Its been very difficult to get the correct info on Bobby Snr's death. so thanks for shedding more light on it. I'd be very happy to receive a copy of the inquest report. My understanding, from what my mam told me when I was younger, my Nana, Mary Ann, was awarded compensation for the "children", my mam included. However it seems that what actaully happened is that my nana would take the children along to th court offices, and explain ghat the kids needed clothes etc, and she would be given a sum of money, in cash. She would then gives the kids a penny or so to get sweets, and she would then head of to the pub, where she was a well known regular. :( As for young Bobby, I accidentally came across his grave in Sunderland Cemetery just a few weeks ago. I live on St Aidans Est, and use the cemetery daily for dog walks. I took a short cut and there it was, in front of me. So thanks for the offer of a picture, but I have one already.  I also believe that Bobby snr is also buried in the same Cemetery, where my nana was buried alongside him, when she died in 1969. I have the location of the grave, which is unmarked at the moment.

Thanks again

Danny

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 20 November 20 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Danny

If you contact me by personal message with your email address I will send you the information I have.

Ryhopelad
SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 14:45 BST (UK) »
Throughout my time researching those who lost their lives while employed in the shipbuilding industry in Sunderland a number of people have been in touch with information. Would just like to say thank you to all those who have contacted me.

Also to let anyone who may be interested know that a book has been published about the research.
The Shipyard Lads. Shipbuilding Deaths in Sunderland 1830 - 1984. Priced at £4-99 with all proceeds going to Down's Syndrome North East (DSNE).

If anyone is interested please PM me.

Was unsure whether you can advertise a publication for sale on here, contacted the Support team about it but have received no reply. Have posted with the hope that it is OK if not apologies.

Ryhopelad

SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham