Author Topic: Surname intrests in The Lye area  (Read 75322 times)

Offline jandap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Surname intrests in The Lye area
« Reply #36 on: Friday 16 January 09 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Vanessa,
Its typical of this game.  You spend ages getting nowhere then make a leap forward.  As far as family pictures go, I only go back to my grandparents on the Pardoe side.  Dad was the youngest and was always a bit upset not to get the family albums.  I am the only one of my generation to propogate and it would have been nice to have more pictures of my forebears to pass on to my two grandchildren.

Linell,
I am glad we cleared that one up.  We are singing from the same sheet after all!  Our relation is through the Brooks line, I have only one Yardley in my tree Jane Yardley 1760 who married Francis Wooldridge 1754 in 1781.  Though who knows, if you go back far enough the Pardoe line must converge somewhere.  Dash it all, why couldn't they keep good records. I agree about marrying your neighbours, that is a very consistant thread throughout. 
I do have a fair few Wooldridges in my tree and we may have some common ground there. Two of these are Jemima who I mentioned in my last post and Betty Wooldridge ? who married Joseph Pardoe 1814 in 1841.  She died only 2 years later, I suspect bearing her first child.  As far as I know she was not related to Jemima but there is more research to be done there.  Joseph 1814 was the son of Joseph 1793, one of the trio of Pardoe butcher brothers.  Sounds like something out of a western or a horror movie!

The young lad in the photo is my father Bill aged about 10.  Enclosed are pictures of my paternal grandparents William Pardoe 1862 and Myra Homer 1865.

Best wishes to you both
Pardoe, Pearson, Crampton, Lavender, Homer, Syner, Bellamy, Bloomer.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 16 January 09 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arlen, many thanks for the reply, how fascinating, love the pictures, Myra Homer looks very elegant, she couldn't have been born in Lye Waste!  Don't like to mention this, but I also have some Homers in my tree, not Myra, I just checked, most of mine were from Cradley Heath.

I do have a Jane Yardley born Lye 1761, but I have her death as 1762, so is that wrong, or is she the Jane who Married Francis Wooldridge, it is impossible to tell when you get back that far isn't it! 

I have lots of Wooldridges, but cannot link them up to one family line.  Have you thought that the Pardoe's could have been descended from the Hungarian Glass Makers who settled in the area in the 15th Century, is the name Pardoe only associated with Lye, I've not seen it anywhere else? 

Vanessa if you get on Ebay there are some Lye Books for sale on there, you may well find some Pardoe pictures there.  Best Wishes from linell.

Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline jandap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 17 January 09 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linell, you certainly get me thinking about things.  Myra was either born on Waste Bank (her parents were there in 1861, 4 years before her birth) or close by (they are in Bromley Street in 1871).  The photo would have been taken, I think, in the early 1900s when William had changed his profession from clay miner (hard but a regular income) to photographer (better working conditions but no guaranteed income) and they were living in Vicarage Road, Lye.

As to the origins of the surname Pardoe, you are probably close - though I suspect it was the Lorraine glassmakers rather than those from Hungary that provided the rootstock for the line. An interesting article here:

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/h/e/n/Barry-M-Henzell/FILE/0004page.html

I have two lines of Homers, Grandmother Myra was a direct line, her father was Frederick 1824 and her grandfather was John 1794. An aunt on my mothers side married a Homer - John Tye Forrest Homer 1879 whose father and grandfather were Apollos 1832 and Jesse 1797, from Cradley.  Incidently I also have a Sidaway - Aunt Floss married Arthur Sidaway 1896 in 1921.

I think the Yardley connection is too far back for certainty but the Wooldridges and Pardoes were quite common in the Waste.  Betty, mentioned before marrying Jospeh Pardoe, lived close to him only a few pages separated in the 1841 census just before they married.  Neighbours again!

Good luck with your researches

Arlen

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 18 January 09 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arlen, many thanks for the Glass Making Link, shall have to have a good read of that.  I agree Pardoe does sound rather french doesn't it :)  I see Myra Homer made a good move from Lye Waste to Vicarage Road.  Have you visited the area, not much left of the Waste now?

I did find these entries from the Old Swinford Poor Law:-
Sarah Pardoe entry 124 1761 Removed from Old Swinford to Ambelcote.  Widow of Joseph with four children Elizabeth 1746, Martha 1748, Joseph 1752, Thomas 1756, found begging in Newington Surrey.

Richare Pardoe Nailer entry 161 1770 from St Chad Shrewsbury with Ann (late Griffiths) Widow and son George born 1765.

Joseph Pardoe entry 183 1773, Vagabond from Whistons Worcs to Old Swinford.

Obviously none of our respectable french glassmakers!  Best Wishes linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 18 January 09 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vanessa there is a Lye Book for sale on Ebay at the moment, from the Britain in Old Photograph Series.  linell.

Offline jandap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 18 January 09 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linell
Well, we all have those family members we don't mention!

Came across a good description of life on the Waste here:

http://www.victorianlondon.org/publications4/strange-28.htm

It certainly puts the picture of the mud hut into context.

Another photo taken in the late 1890s of my 3 aunts with their Aston cousins.

All the best, Arlen

Offline vcsanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 18 January 09 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arlen and Linnell
I was away over the weekend (at my mums doing family history !!!!!).
I will look to see if the book is still for sale on e-bay. 
Best regards to you both
Vanessa

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 18 January 09 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arlen, that's an absolute gorgeous picture, so cute and so natural, what a treasure for you to pass on, do you know who all the girls are?

Thanks for the link, I have read it before, that is why I was shocked to hear that your very elegant Myra Homer was born there!

Just checked your surname interests, I also have Lye Astons, Pearsons and Crumptons and Bloomers from Cradley.  Will do a quick check list tomorrow.

Vanessa hope you had a fruitful weekend with your research, best wishes from linell.

Offline vcsanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 18 January 09 20:40 GMT (UK) »
me and my mum were trying to get everything written down but you soon run out of space trying to draw your family tree on a piece of A4 paper.  Don't suppose you know of a website that allows you to do this for free do you?  thanks