Author Topic: Surname intrests in The Lye area  (Read 75130 times)

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Surname intrests in The Lye area
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I am helping a friend to trace her LYE ancestors. Heads of households in the censuses are as follows:
1841 Thomas Pardoe, Age given 30(?), Nailer, Old Swinford. Wife Susannah.
        Children: Elijah, Obadiah, Jeremiah, Ann, Myrah, Sarah, Selra(?).
1851 Elijah PARDOE, born abt 1827 Lye Waste, Nailer, resident: Wollescote, Wife Emma (Nailer).
1861 Elijah PARDOE, children: Enoch, Major, Matilda, Ann M, Caroline.
1871 as above (Major now a Nail Forger)
1881 Major PARDOE, born abt 1853 in Lye, Blacksmith, Resident: Beefeater Field, Lye. Wife Mona
1891 Major PARDOE, Nail Manufacturer, Union Street, Lye.
        Children: Howard Hugh Bourne, Maud, Cyril, Theresa, Ann M, Morris.
1901 Major PARDOE Frost Screw Maker, Wife Sarah.
1911 Major PARDOE has moved to Middlesborough and is a respected Cabinet Maker!
        Children: Iris Hermione, Arnold, Cicely, Cressida.
If anyone has any knowledge of, or connection to, any of the above I would very much like to hear from you!
Adkins, Alford, Alfred, Allford, Armitt, Atkins, Atkinson, Berry, Blackberry. Blackbury, BLAND, Boaden, Boardman, Bowden, Carpenter, Lister, Malsbury, Mason, McAra, Mawle, Mery, Mold, Newth, Pargitter, Park, Pritchard, Quiney, Quinney, Rawlinson, Rollinson, Rowlinson, Rowledge, Sprute, Stuart, Sugden, Tyler

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I am looking for more information about an ancestor Martha Wright, maiden name as yet unknown, who gives her place of birth as Lye or Oldswinford and birth year as 1795.

In 1851 census for Lye she is staying, as a visitor, with George Wood, aged 55, unmarried.  The place I think is Hambridge Road, and there is a servant in the house and another relation aged 80.  He is a manufacturer of chains.  Although she is recorded as Married, I believe she may be widowed.

I appeal to those with a better knowledge of Lye history to help me fill out this picture.  I have read a bit about the dreadful conditions around Lye and the metal-working.  However this household looks a bit more like a boss than a worker. What do you think? Have I got the right road name, and if so where was/is it?

I am also curious as to why Martha is visiting, although having Lye area as her place of birth, she has been living in London, at least around the 1820-1834 period.  Has she returned to stay with her brother??  Later on she moves to Birmingham to stay with her son and family, and then to Broseley where she dies.

Did Martha marry - perhaps around 1820 - locally? Her husband was Edward Wright - but as yet I know nothing about him.

Any help most welcome,

Pam

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Pam
      Marriage 22nd Oct.1816 St Mary, Lambeth,Surrey
Edward Wright + Martha Bourne

Baptism 25 Nov 1793 Oldswinford-Martha Bourne -Parents John+ Mary.

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks, that looks very likely.  I have found the marriage register online at Ancestry.

How does a girl from Lye get to marry in Lambeth?  Certainly fits where their children are baptised and where Edward works in 1820-34.  I think the Wright family might have been quite well positioned in life.  If only there were more info on the marriage certificate, looks as if the same people witnessed most marriages at that Church.  Looks as if both Edward and Martha were literate and certainly could sign their names.

Do you know if the baptism register is online, or would I need to visit Archives to see any more detail?  What church do you think that would have been - was there more than one in Old Swinford?

Is Bourne a known name in the Lye area?  John and Mary certainly had other children.

Pam

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Friday 25 November 16 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Jackie, I am so excited!! 

I have followed up on your lead about Martha Bourne - and find that one of her grandchildren is baptised Martha Bourne Wright in 1845 in Birmingham.

Proof indeed.

Thank you,  Pam

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to earlier help I have now been able to add Martha Bourne to our family tree.

....... Baptism 25 Nov 1793 Oldswinford-Martha Bourne -Parents John+ Mary.

I am interested in this family; daughter Martha marries (quite well) in 1816 in Lambeth, Surrey (London), so how had Martha met up with a Londoner??  Was she a servant?  Or was she part of the Social scene?

Does anyone have any info on John & Mary Bourne of Oldswinford?  Poss marriage around 1780-90?  Other town/village records?

Thanks...

Pam

Offline Malvernite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am researching Benjamin Chance ( my great grandfather ) born 7th Nov. 1844 at the Lye, Worcestershire. His father`s name was given as Eli.

He had  at least two offspring, Sarah who moved to Scotland and married in 1908, Eli who moved to Bolton.

Any help , and any possible links to the Benjamin Chance born in the 18th century and emigrated to America, would be most useful

Thank you

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Monday 19 February 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello
The Gro reg for Benjamin Chance in 1844 gives a mother Miss Cole.
There is a marriage for Eli Chance and Ann Cole 25 Mar 1843 Old Swinford
The 1841 census for Careless Green
Benjamin Chance 55 nailor y
Sarah 50
Sarah 30
Eli 15
Lidia 15
Abigail 10
Amelia 5
Ira 5

Eli bapt 1.6.1823 to Benjamin and Sarah at Old Swinford.

It looks like Eli died Dec 1845 age 23.
Which explains why there are no more children.
I can't see any sign of Ann Cole/Chance after that.

1851 Dark lane Stourbridge
Benjamin Chance 68 nailor widower  and Chelsea pensioner Lye
Abigail daughter 20 nailor Lye

Benjamin had joined up  Oxfordshire light infantry (43rd foot)
Discharged 6 Oct 1807 after 2 years due to almost total loss of sight.
Age 24 5ft 5' brown hair dark complexion

He came back to Old Swinforrd and married Sarah Taylor 1.8.1809.
Children -Catherine 22.1.1809,Sarah 6.5.1810,Elizabeth 21.3.1813,Stephen 18.6.1814,Jeremiah 21.1.1816 bapt 29.10.1820,Benjamin 15.2.1818,Hannah 27.8.1820,Hannah 15.7.1821,Eli 1.6.1823,Lydia 3.7.1825,Jesse 29.7.1827,Sylvia 1.3.1829 bapt25.1.1832 and  Abigail 27.3.1831

He was buried at Lye 31.3.1858 age 76 years

Ciderdrinker

Offline Malvernite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Friday 23 February 18 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ciderdrinker! The Chelsea Pensioner detail was fascinating.

We have just been to the Oldswinford graveyard but alas headstones illegible.

We have also had our first trip to nearby Hive in Worcester - very helpful staff - and are returning to see if Benjamin Chance born 1787 was born to Robert Chance, thus hopefully taking me back to Peter Chance of 1615.

The Dudley Borough historical online maps are very useful , indicating Careless Green and also Dark Lane, ( now Engine Lane ).The houses are not shown on the 1880 map so may have disappeared before the advent of local photographical interest

I have an 1888 copy of my great-grandfather`s birth certificate ( Benjamin`s grandson, also Benjamin) born 7th Nov. 1844, showing  mother`s name as formerly Cole, not as Miss Cole.

What I want to ascertain is were there any employment or other reasons in Lye which prompted him to move  in about to 1880 Bolton Lancashire where my grandmother Sarah was born.