Author Topic: Any help with Minar 1854  (Read 8041 times)

Offline GersGirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Any help with Minar 1854
« on: Sunday 20 April 08 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,
On my grandfather's birth certificate, it says that his grandfather JOHN FRANKLIN WALKER was born in Minar, Aberdeenshire on 4 Aug 1854.  I know that our family come from Inverurie.  Can anyone help me locate this village?

I would also be interested in information about his baptism, so that I can find his parents and siblings, if anyone knows what parish this village would have come under.

regards,
Christine :)
Walker (Inverurie, Scotland) Walker (Lisbon & Oporto) Smith de Menezes (Lisbon & Brazil) Patterson (Edenderry, Eire) Cope (Bromley) Cope (Hilgay NFK), Stott (Stainland, Elland & Dewsbury) Stott (Kent) Howroyd (Dewsbury) Gomersall (Dewsbury), Edwards (Kings Lynn), Easton (Middlesex & London)

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any help with Minar 1854
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 April 08 23:59 BST (UK) »
There is a Manar House just outside Inverurie, maybe that's it?

Was the information transcribed by someone else or are you reading this from the original handwriting? Depending on where the person writing it was from ( if they knew the place or not) the spelling can get quite inventive on these forms in my experience!

If this is the place, it may be the general area rather than the house itself, as seen in this description of the area: http://www.urie.demon.co.uk/genuki/ABD/Inverurie/description.html

Hope this helps

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline GersGirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 April 08 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Kirsty,

I think it must be Manar.  The birth certificate that I have is a photo copy of the original, and it says Minar, however, it was issued out of the UK, so they wouldn't have known the area.

Does this mean that Manar is within the parish of Inverurie, and that the record of his baptism would be in their records?

:)
Christine
Walker (Inverurie, Scotland) Walker (Lisbon & Oporto) Smith de Menezes (Lisbon & Brazil) Patterson (Edenderry, Eire) Cope (Bromley) Cope (Hilgay NFK), Stott (Stainland, Elland & Dewsbury) Stott (Kent) Howroyd (Dewsbury) Gomersall (Dewsbury), Edwards (Kings Lynn), Easton (Middlesex & London)

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 April 08 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine

Yes that would put Manar in Inverurie Parish. 
www.familysearch.org has a free index of Scottish BMDs for that period and shows a possible Christening in Inverurie in May 1854, also a marriage the year before in the same Episcopal Church of the (probable) parents.
I would suggest that you view the original entry on Scotlands People as it should have further details on the family and witnesses.

Good hunting

Kirsty

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 April 08 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm a local - any chance of a scan of part of the image? We've gone from Minar to Manar (well done Kirsty G - we could go elsewhere  :O)

More info would be gleaned from either a marriage or death entry of JF Walker -did he marry/die in Scotland?

Regards, Steve   :O)

Offline GersGirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 April 08 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Steve,

Here is a quick scan of the bit of my grandfather's birth certificate that has his father, and grandfather's details.  John Franklin Walker is listed as born in Minar, but I have had a look at my gt aunt's notes, and she has it down as Manar.  Also, JFW's father (also John) she has put as being from Waterside, Manar, and his elder brother Patrick as Lumphart (!?).

Have you ever heard of these places?

:)
Christine

Offline Isles

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 April 08 23:22 BST (UK) »
The Manar House mentioned by Kirsty is the ancestral home of the Gordon family.  See www.manar.co.uk

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 April 08 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine

There is a Waterside listed in Inverurie Parish.

Lumphart is in Daviot parish which is a neigbour to Chapel of Garioch (parish) which in turn is neighbouring to Inverurie Parish, so not all that far as the crow flies.

Looking at the IGI there is a candidate birth for Patrick in 1869 in Daviot, but father is listed as James not John.  ??? This matches up with the extended Walker Family in Inverurie who seem to be Episcopalian.
There does seem to be more than one Walker family in Inverurie, though they may all be related.

I just reread your post and saw that Patrick was John's elder brother so the one i found can't be him. I can't find anything on the IGI that fits for both of them.
There were 27 John Walkers born in 1854 according to Scotlands People, 3 of them in May. Only one in Inverurie.

Kirsty

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 00:06 BST (UK) »
On Scotlands People (SP) www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - a ppv site, there are 5 John Walkers born in Aberdeenshire in 1854.

One dated 25/05/1854 - was actually born on - 08/05/1854.  Although not down as John Franklin Walker - I don't seea major problem with this as I've come across cases like this before - when people - 'adopt' a name....

If you send me a pm I'll forward you a copy of the entry.

Father of this John, was a John Walker and a Margaret Walker.  A trawl of the IGI shows a marriage for this couple on 08 May 1853 at St Mary Episcopal, Inverurie, Aberdeen.

Further trawling of the IGI brings up a possible total of 9 children for the couple. The first 8 'extracted' on the IGI ch. at St Marys and only with the mothers christian name, however when I downloaded John extract it clearly gave the mothers surname as Walker.  No. 9 had the mothers surname down.  All the post 1855 births will give the mothers surname on the extracts - including her maiden name....

1.  John b. 8 May 1854 ch, 25 May 1854, St Marys Episcopal, Inverurie
2.  Agnes  ch.  27 Jan 1856
3.  Mary Hellen ch.  12 Oct 1858
4.  Isabella ch.  08 Jan 1860
5.  George  ch.  07 Jul 1861
6.  Charles Alexander  ch. 19 Apr 1863
7.  Andrew ch.  16 Oct 1864
8.  Margaret  ch.  16 June 1867
9. Henry Gordon b.  29 Jan 1869, Inverurie

What is possibly needed is a marriage or death entry for John with the Franklin in the name.

Regards,   Steve   :O)

Amendement:  Does anyone have the 1861 and 1871 census to identify where the family were?