Author Topic: William Bodle - b 1810 in West Firle or Alfriston?  (Read 9725 times)

Offline posterity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Bodle - b 1810 in West Firle or Alfriston?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 July 11 10:51 BST (UK) »
I had the front bit of last post a bit wrong... I went back and checked as i had received the following which may help you..

Hi there
It is amazing that we have been able to unearth what we have about the ancestors.
I have boxes of information and details mainly in my head which I need to put in writing whilst I can remember.
My husband's side is Voller (sent out from Sussex).  Was only here a few months and was involved in the
Wairau Massacre where only a few survived. Elizabeth Voller married a Henry Miller (the German ancestor in
Nelson in 1872.  I have no information on Henry Miller (I don't believe this is his real name).  I have become
quite suspicious of those I can't trace from so little info.  The same goes for Dr Geo Bodle's mother Ann
Butler born 1826, Tipperary Ireland.  Ann and father George married in Sydney Aust in 1843.
  He came from Alfriston in England but
Dr Geo went to India from Sydney and Ann returned to Ireland where they met up again in abt 1850.
Dr George's father was in the 80th Staffordshire Vols reg which accompanied the convicts to Sydney in
abt 1838/9.  My theory is that Ann and her mother were on board.   The older Geo. was in NZ abt
1840 as a soldier, went back to Sydney married  Ann.  Their marriage cert. states "with permission of
said mother" and Ann signs with a cross.   Dr Geo. was the only child of several that was born in Australia.
Ann Bodle died in 1866 of a strangulated hernia.  The father left Ireland never to return. 
It has taken several years to find what became of him and recently found that he was murdered and his
body was found floating in the docks area in London 1873 not long after Dr Geo and Eliza Janetta arrived here.
The story goes that there falling out as he was buried in a common grave and no one seemed to care about
him.  Very sad.
Off to have my coffee fix.
cheers
Sharon
(Did you feel the latest shake?)

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 03:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Clint,
Thanks for the post.  It is helpful and isn't confusing.  It is all consistent with the information that I believe that we have previously shared (and also with Sharon).  I didn't have the information about Robert Bodle.

I can answer your question about Grace Bodle.  Her full name was Mary Ann Grace Elizabeth Bodle and was born in 1862 in Templemore, Ireland.  She was George Edward Bodle's sister.  I don't know when or why she arrived in New Zealand but one can speculate that she emigrated to New Zealand since all of her siblings had emigrated to New Zealand or had died.  In 1871, whe was living with her Uncle and Aunt (William and Priscilla Bodle).  Priscilla died in 1873 and William remarried in 1874.  Perhaps those events had something to do with her ultimate emigration to New Zealand.

Regards

Mark
Milton - Brighton, Eastbourne
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Sellens/Sellins/Sellings - Sedlescombe, Crowhurst
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Bodle - Hailsham, Alfriston
Crowhurst - Hailsham, Westham
Roods/Roads/Rhodes - Hailsham, Westham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ElaineTodd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 October 12 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

I believe you are the original reporter/investigator of the bodle family history.

I am a direct descendant of Dr. George Bodle who settled and named Alfriston (on the out skirts of Auckland) in 1875 with his family-his wife, children and mother-in-law Eliza Darroch of Gourach.

My name is Elaine Janetta Bartley and I would be delighted to communicate with you. My grandmother was his daughter. I remember hearing that 'old lady Darroch' had a maid who lived with her.  I know Dr Bodle's brother was Frank Bodle who was the manager of the Loan and Mercantile company in Auckland. I have also heard the name Nutter mentioned and reference to living in Ireland.

Our family have lost all connection with our British links and I would be most interested to find some connection. My husband and I visited Alfriston in Sussex some years ago but the only Bodles we found were all in the grave yard of the church.

The little church in Alfriston NZ is in very good repair built by Dr Bodle and other settlers during the 1870s where most of the early generation are now buried.

We speculate that there were two Bodle families of the name Edward-one from England and one from Australia.

Elaine.

Offline Mike Sandercock

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 December 14 12:48 GMT (UK) »
I work for an agricultural merchant called Bodle Brothers ltd, which was founded in a working windmill in Alfriston, Sussex in the early 1800's. The two original brothers were called Tom & Richard Bodle, flour millers. I have quite a lot of historical information about our business but not so much on the family. It may be interesting to research more.
Mike