Author Topic: 1901 Census Help Please  (Read 13969 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census Help Please
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 01 May 08 16:46 BST (UK) »
It lists his father, John Bowman born Rochester, New York and mother May Heffernan, Marden, Ontario (I knew that)  The informant is my gr grandmother, May Heffernan/Bowman, surely to god she would know where her husband was born wouldn't she ???  She's also put "Scotch" for racial orgin.  She also has her son as a maker of shoes
Well, Goodness knows we'll like "Scotch"  ::) ...Guess she gave in and conformed to the norm...When in Rome and all that...
  Odd that she would put Rochester as place of birth...Might he have been born in the states, but registered in Canada? You do have a mixed bag of answers to sort through, don't you/

Hey, Our roots, worked perfectly for me just now....
I imagine you know most of what's in here, as you have so much family history on the family in Ontario...but I know you will want to read it anyway,  if you haven't already, as it is so interesting. Bowman surname mentioned...the author's middle name is Bowman as well...
The Camden colony, or, The seed of the righteous : a story of the United Empire Loyalists (with genealogical tables for the Miller family )
http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=2880

J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 02 May 08 02:02 BST (UK) »
I can never get Our roots to work for me  ::)  I did at one point think my Bowman's could be UEL, they settled in the Morrisburg area of Ontario which had a huge UEL presence.  I went to Upper Canada Village a couple of years ago, was really neat.  I also went to see the woman who has done a ton or work on the UEL.  She actually helps you apply for UEL status, getting all your birth certificates in order and everything, quite impressive really.  She had lots of information on my Bowman's, but of course had nothing on Benjamin (just my luck) I guess cause he had moved away, but all his siblings had stayed in the area.

As for putting her husband being born in Rochester, I don't know what she was thinking.  Mind you, on my grandmother's marriage certificate she has her father being born in Smiths Falls instead of Fenelon Falls.  There is one more birth certificate for a son of theirs that was born um, 1910 I think, hopefully there might be some information on it.  My grandmother's birth was never registered and if you look it up on ancestry, it is a delayed statement of birth that my grandma filled out in 1971. 

My mum knew nothing of her uncle being a shoe maker LOL, she said he owned a camera store, go figure  ;D.  He was in the sanitorium for 3 years. 

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 02 May 08 16:57 BST (UK) »
I can never get Our roots to work for me
Sneak up on it one day when you don't really need it and it may work for you!
Ha! That's what happened yesterday, just tried it for the heck of it, and put in a few surnames, and there you go...
I still never got the one Janice gave you though...
Janice, your computer seems to like the contankerous databases.... ;D

As you know, Boot & Shoemakers, saddlers, rein & harness makers etc. all work in leathers...so there may have been another ancestor who taught them the trade...
Although an HBC voyageur all his young life, Hubby's ancestor took up Ferry work, then boot & shoe making...His sons took up ferry & also working with leather...
  The just a few years ago we found out that his father in Quebec was working as a bootmaker
 ;D I find the occupations so interesting as well...Your bunch were quite versatile, it seems...
( also sorry, I know you were researching UER at one time, and thought they were...)
J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 16 May 08 02:39 BST (UK) »
Well I have Sophia in the 1891 Census now living with her daughter Alice McDougall and son in law Finlay in Fenelon Falls.  She is listed as a married.

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 16 May 08 02:44 BST (UK) »
In the 1901 she is a widow and still with the McDougall's, but she is down as Mary Bowman and not Sophia, but it's definatly her.

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 17 May 08 02:33 BST (UK) »
Of course she used a different name  ;D  :P  ;D
Wow, I'm sorry I never found her...I looked until my eyes were sore and even went through al the fenelon falls listings? How'd I miss it? ::)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 17 May 08 03:15 BST (UK) »
I still really have no idea where this 1901 came from, a lady just sent it to me yesterday  ???  ???

Maybe there's a secret place for the Fenelon Falls census  ;D

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England