Author Topic: What were they up to in 1904  (Read 2869 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
What were they up to in 1904
« on: Tuesday 22 April 08 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone help me out with what the South Wales Borderers would have been up to in South Africa 1903-1904 im researching a lad that spent that time in SA then went to India with the Regiment til 1906.

Ta

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
Re: What were they up to in 1904
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 12:03 BST (UK) »
Ooh I have some stuff at home on this...wait out, Ady... :D
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 12:30 BST (UK) »
Roger your last

Thanks

Ady ;D
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Taidquest

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 April 08 03:43 BST (UK) »
hi,I  would also be interested to know what was happening in south africa
between 1904 and 1907.my grandfather served there with the
 northumberland fusiliers(3rd) during this time according to his army record
but does'nt state what part of s.africa.
                                                             Anne
<br />UK Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchive

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 April 08 05:56 BST (UK) »
taid and Ady...
there is a book called "The Forlorn Hope" can't tell you the author's name- sorry- and it gives year by year exactly where different Regiments were stationed.  I traced the 82nd Foot between 1808-1925 and got a list of the places they were and it checked out when I got the Attestation Papers from Kew.

I think the book was published in Salt Lake City and I was consulting it about 10 yrs ago. Sorry to vague but it was excellent source of info and detail and might be worth you seeing if you can find it on google.
charlotte

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 April 08 06:05 BST (UK) »
 Just searched by google using "The Forlorn Hope" and got the result below which is the full name of the book and author's name.
Abe books might have it for sale if you library of interlibrary loan can't produce it- inter-L loan if how I got the use of it I think.

charlotte

~~~~~~~~

In Search of The Forlorn Hope
Type Non-Fiction
Author John M Kitzmiller II
Originally published 1988
Original publisher Manuscript Publishing
ISBN 0961926058
   -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an essential tool for the military or genealogical researcher. These two volumes (plus a supplement) tells you exactly which regiment was posted where from 1640 to 1914. In fact, the book does this in reverse, you need to look up the name of a town, place or campaign and the book will tell you which regiments were there and for how long they were posted there. The fact that there are over 3,000 pages should illustrate the comprehensiveness of the work. Unfortunately, I can't help but feel that this information would be much more useful on a CD ROM or as a database. You would then be able to do all sorts of interesting concordancing and analysing. As it is, I would almost prefer to have this book do the opposite of what it does. I would prefer a listing of the regiments and then have the book tell me exactly where they were posted to over this time period. In order to do this, I would have to sit down with pencil and paper and do a lot of flicking around the pages in order to track down the movements of a particular regiment. The way it is set out is more to help the genealogist than the military researcher, but it can still be an invaluable tool for the latter.

In addition to the two volumes, there is an interesting supplement that helps you with research that you might want to conduct with the official War Office Records. Again, this is mainly for genealogists but can still be invaluable for the military historian. Also, the supplement provides information on the dates of creation of all the regiments of the British Army and the complicated issues of amalgamation and name changes. There is also a list of the names of the Colonel's of each regiment (upto 1881).

If you buy these books, you must be aware that they do not provide a bedtime read. There is no narrative as such, it is more a collection of tables and data. But, if you need to know who was posted in a particular town or garrison at a particular point in time then this is the book for you.

~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 April 08 07:54 BST (UK) »
Charlotte thanks seems like just what we are looking for.

If any Rootschatters has access to this publication i would be obliged if i could have a look up Please

Thanks
Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 April 08 08:58 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid that book has a "reputation" in military history circles....

It is known as unreliable, wrong and virtually complete tosh...

It renames Regts, puts them in places they never were and makes a lot up...

It also misleads, and makes up "facts" to put you on completely the wrong track...

I think the name was chosen as that is what one would feel one had in finding the truth...Forlorn Hope??

No Hope

I would not touch this with a barge pole....I commend you all to do the same

Ady

I'm afraid that I've packed up much of my library ready for re decoration, I thought the book required was left out ...it was not...

Now as for South Africa apres Boer War, from memory, there was a period of reconstruction, and "peacekeeping" duties...

Do not forget that the "bitter enders" as they were known were keen to carry  on the war....

Don't forget such a good job was done that they fought with us in x2 world wars and one of the strongest "bitter enders" became a General in the British Army and later Prime Minister...Jan Christian Smuts...

Also there was a rebellion in 1914 called the Maritz after the boer leader who hopped over the border to join the Germans in German South West Africa...
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 April 08 10:10 BST (UK) »
Cheers Scrimnet..Have fun decorating!! ;D
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)