Author Topic: GRO - Backlog  (Read 10844 times)

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRO - Backlog
« Reply #99 on: Monday 09 June 08 13:03 BST (UK) »
i ordered some today and the despatch date is the 29th. wonder how long after that they will arrive

2 of the 5 arrived today im hoping the rest are not too far behind

perth :)

the rest arrived today all correct

perth :) :)
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 09 June 08 13:31 BST (UK) »
I want to order some more, but will wait until I get a reply from my e-mails to them.  I may order from the individual record offices instead, I'm sure it would be better and so would the checking.

Lizzie

Offline Bellejazz

• I have turned off my notifications
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Monday 09 June 08 13:33 BST (UK) »
The GRO sounds pretty good!

NSW births deaths and marriages in Australia is currently taking 8 weeks to process certificate orders. I am going through a transcription agent instead, I don't have the patience to wait 8 weeks, she "only" takes 2.

- Belinda.
Boake Carter: Dublin Ire. - Williamstown VIC Corbet(t): Northern Ire. - Creswick VIC Croak/Croke/Croker: Kilkenny Ire. - Creswick Hob(b)el: Salzgitter Germany - Talbot VIC Mulford: London UK - Williamstown VIC Mitchell: Kildare Ire. - Lilydale VIC Orenshaw: Uttoxeter UK - Creswick Rischmuller: Gottingen Germany - Ballarat VIC Smedley: Derbyshire UK - Kilmore VIC Wassmann: Salzgitter Ward: Tipperary Ire - Creswick VIC.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 10:20 BST (UK) »
But do you get the right certs, Belinda?  It seems that one of the current issues with the GRO is that they have been sending people the wrong certs - not good!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 12:01 BST (UK) »
iv only had 1 wrong cert sent to me. when i told them about they where very helpful and sent the correct one within 2 days

yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 13:32 BST (UK) »
I sent an e-mail to GRO on 31 May and didn't receive any reply, so I sent another on on 6 June and received a reply today 17 June. 

I complained that I had ordered 3 death certificates and asked that they be checked to see if the deceased lady was the widow of Richard.  I have only received 2 certificates and neither had been checked, one doesn't show the lady as being anyone's widow and the other was for a 14 month old girl!

The e-mail I received today, asks me to return the wrong certificates - is that a good idea in the light of the incompetence of the department?  I may end up with no certificates and no refund.

Lizzie

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 13:45 BST (UK) »
just to show the difference, i found an entry in victoria australia records. i paid 99c to see the record and about $18 to down load the image. all up about 1 minute. it can be done if someone has the will to do it

yorkshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
it can be done if someone has the will to do it

Not if the UK Govt. has anything to do with it.  Anything computerised that they touch turns to stone - well almost.

Lizzie

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 07:04 BST (UK) »

The e-mail I received today, asks me to return the wrong certificates - is that a good idea in the light of the incompetence of the department?  I may end up with no certificates and no refund.

Lizzie

Trouble is, the wrong certs aren't much use to you, are they, Lizzie?

Perth is right - I got a marriage record from Victoria - quite reasonably priced and instant!  I ask, if the National Archives can digitise the PCC wills and make them instantly available, as they have, what is the major stumbling block with the GRO and the civil registration records?

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland