Author Topic: 2nd West Yorks Militia circa 1811  (Read 6382 times)

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd West Yorks Militia circa 1811
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 13:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ermin!

This is an amazing history lesson and I will add this information to my tree.

I so appreciate your help and will keep you posted if I learn anything new. Maybe our ancestors crossed paths! Thank you, best wishes, Barbara
Scotland: Baxter,Paterson,Brown, Hunter, Main, Grant, Fraser, Bain, Sharp,
Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley
Sheffield,England: Rollinson, Platts, Crofts

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 14:47 BST (UK) »
There were two types of Militia - Regular and Local. The Local only served in their own county and was raised just for the wars with France. Regular Militia such as the 2nd West Yorks served many miles away, usually on the coast. They often spent three years away. Many took their families with them, or married girls were they were stationed.

Ken

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ken!

I really know nothing about militia so every little bit helps! Thank you for helping me to piece this all together. Barbara Baxter
Scotland: Baxter,Paterson,Brown, Hunter, Main, Grant, Fraser, Bain, Sharp,
Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley
Sheffield,England: Rollinson, Platts, Crofts

Offline Lct333

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 October 21 20:40 BST (UK) »
Ken and Ermin, thank you both so much for your informative replies. I’m trying to track down my 5G grandfather who was in the 2nd West York militia, Simon Strong. He arrived in Edinburgh in 1806 and shortly after married Charlotte Johnstone. My question is, did the permanent militias only get recruits from the county in their name? Or might he have been a resident of a different county but joined the 2nd West York?

I wish I could come to Kew and look at the muster rolls but, but like Barbara I’m in the US.

Do any of you have access to the history of where the 2nd West York was stationed over time? I would love to track Simon and Charlotte who seem to disappear off and on until 1825.

Kind regards,
Lori