Author Topic: Joseph & Mary CORFE interred Salisbury Cathedral  (Read 16154 times)

Offline BLANK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph & Mary CORFE interred Salisbury Cathedral
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 November 10 11:33 GMT (UK) »
b

Offline AnneK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 November 10 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joni

I can heartily recommend the record office in Winchester as I have spent a few happy hours there on two separate visits and I have no doubt there is more Corfe info to be dredged up. As my husband is descended from one of the sons who moved to Salisbury I have not concentrated on the Winchester branch to the same extent. Much of the Hampshire record office catalogue is online. Have you seen it?

Having rechecked I see that my information on Robert's parentage came from the IGI when it says that he was baptised in St Swithun over Kingsgate on 19th April 1786 and gives sisters Maria and Rachael. The fact that this is the correct Robert is confirmed by his having a sister Maria of the right age living with him on one of the censuses. It is certainly the case that John and Ann had an Edward (see settlement certificate 1760) but I'm assuming that your informant has other confirmation that that is the right Edward.

My own ancestry is largely Scottish but from further South than the Orkneys (or here for that matter) though I do have some German and Irish thrown in for good measure. Have you visited Orkney. It is a lovely place though probably not just now.

BTW I love the picture illustrating your name. Where is it?

Anne

Offline BLANK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 November 10 12:15 GMT (UK) »
b

Offline AnneK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 November 10 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Warm sounds good to me just now!

As I recall you can ask for copies from the website but would guess that going there actually to read the originals and search through the parish records would if poss be the way forward. The record office also has a search service for a fee (if this has not all been devastated by the current cut backs).

There is a will of Edward Corfe, mercer, in 1855 catalogued which might well be worth looking at as could be your Edward senior or possibly a brother of Robert. He would have to have lived to a grand old age for it to be Robert's father though Robert himself made old bones. It might be worth getting a copy of that. From the various documents in the record office it seems that the Corfes did have property.

I am reasonably adept with Scottish records so if I can help in any way with your Orcadians or other Scots drop me a line.

Anne

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jonni and Anne

Welcome to RootsChat, a great way to receive help in researching, and give some help too.
Most of my CORFE lines comes from Salisbury, with only a token mention of Winchester. I mainly deal with direct blood ancestors, and their sibblings, and to a lesser extent their sibblings' families.

I'm descended from Robert CORFE (Winchester) and his wife Barbara, then John CORFE (Winchester) and Joanne, then Joseph CORFE (Salisbury) and Anne, then Joseph CORFE (Salisbury) and Mary BERNARD. My CORFE line stops here after their daughter, Mary Bernard CORFE married my ggg grandfather Chalres Henry (Harry) BELIN in 1789.

If you would like some information on those CORFE members (and their sibblings) let me know, and I would be glad to help out.

Yes, Anne, I am interested in the house of Joseph CORFE being For Sale on the internet. I like to obtain that sort of information for my records, to give the ancestors some "blood & bone". I'll be checking out that site as soon as I am finished here  ;D

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline BLANK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 10:11 GMT (UK) »
b

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joni

I'll send you a PM.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Minimoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 17:03 GMT (UK) »
I am very late joining this thread.having just returned to my "tree work " after a long break.

I have a Corfe "twig " on my tree. My Gt.Gt.Aunt Barbara Ashton was married to George M Wilson, son of Richard Wilson and Emma Corfe who was one of the 14 children of Arthur Thomas Corfe,the organist at Salisbury Cathedral.

Offline Bagpuss_Janet

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry (Harry) Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 18:56 GMT (UK) »
What has happened to Joni's posts?  I can only see a letter 'b' in them?   ???
BALL - Kent (and a bit of Essex!)
BELL - Suffolk
BENDALL - Somerset
DARTNELL - Kent
DOWNING - Yorks
DRIVER - Kent
GROVE - Staffs
LIVERMORE - Kent (and a bit of Essex!)
LOVELL - Kent, Somerset
MINDHAM - Yorks
MOON - Berkshire, Cumbria, Kent, Lancs, Somerset, Staffs
MORELAND - Ireland, Liverpool, Essex