Author Topic: Joseph & Mary CORFE interred Salisbury Cathedral  (Read 16140 times)

Offline Minimoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph & Mary CORFE interred Salisbury Cathedral
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder about that,I have no idea what it means.

Offline Haan3232

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 26 September 15 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hello, my name is Adrienne Corfe and I live in New Zealand.  I am just starting out on my quest to know more of my family background as the result of coming into possession of some beautiful letters that have been held in storage for many years.  They are written by Rev. Arthur Thomas Corfe, Rector, Stockton, Wilts, 1868, and then Principal, at Elizabeth College, Guernsey.  Arthur married Margaret Rivare Maingay.  These letters are written to Margaret when they first starting courting.  This has me so excited and the family here would like to know more.  Rev. Arthur Thomas has a son called Charles Carteret.  Charles had five sons, one of them being my great grandfather Charles Reginald.  Charles Reginald had one son, Charles Carteret, my grandfather.  My Grandfather had two children, Anthony Carteret, my Dad, and a sister Dianne.  Anthony has four children, myself, two sisters, Sonia and Christine, and we have one brother, John Carteret.  I would so like to hear back from you.  This has opened up a whole new world for the family.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 26 September 15 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrienne

I also received an email from you - I will reply by email - hopefully I'll have a little bit of information for you  ;)

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Haan3232

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 21 January 18 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am a descendant of Robert Corfe 1645 to 1707, who married Barbara.  Is there any information preceding 1645 on the Corfe family. I am from the Salisbury Corfe's.  I am keen to know the origins of the Corfe surname.  I have also in my possession two love letters written in french from Arthur Thomas to Margaret Maingay.  These were found in my late father's possessions, Anthony Carteret Corfe, who passed away on February 11th 2017, here in New Zealand.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 21 January 18 09:01 GMT (UK) »
I see we have communicated before, though 3 years ago!

I can only go one generation beyond the Robert CORFE you mention. These are my scant notes 

Whitfield CORFE - estimated b. early 1600's.

Only details recorded of him are found in grandson's 1743's Will (John CORFE d.28/4/1743) -  ".........books legacy of my grandfather Whitfield CORFE of Amesbury". Two of John's children have the name Whitfield.

Records that far back are very far and few between........and not that reliable  ;D
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Welshdragon29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I have a Margaret louisa corfe born 1907 - dies 1941 in my fathers side of the family partner robert lyon pearson born 1892- dies 1959  and they where parents of my grandmother june pearson born 1941- died 1974 if that is any resemblance?

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 18 March 21 06:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a Margaret louisa corfe born 1907 - dies 1941 in my fathers side of the family partner robert lyon pearson born 1892- dies 1959  and they where parents of my grandmother june pearson born 1941- died 1974 if that is any resemblance?

Sorry, I can't help you with your inquiry. I've only dealt with my direct blood CORFE ancestors, and their siblings, and siblings' immediate familes. I think your Corfe people just fall out of my criteria guidelines.  :(

Regards

Les

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 18 March 21 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Welshdragon29.

At this stage I cannot see any connection to the Corfes mentioned earlier in this post.
Margaret Lousia's Parents were James Pinnington Corfe and Fanny Lousa Morris
She was born Liverpool, Lancs
James born Cheshire and Fanny born Linchgate, Shropshire

James birth reg GRO;
CORFE, JAMES  PINNINGTON Mothers maiden name PINNINGTON** 
GRO Reference: 1870  J Quarter in BIRKENHEAD  Volume 08A  Page 447

1881 mistranscribed;
Joseph Coyle 57 Head Mar General Labourer born Burton
Ellen Coyle 55 born Liverpool, Lancashire
John Coyle   20
Elizth.Ellen Coyle 15
JAMES Coyle 11 born Birkenhead****

1871 they are under ;
Joseph Coope 46 born Bidstone***
Ellen Coope 43
Robert Coope 18
Joseph Coope 13
John Coope 10
Elizabeth E Coope 6
James P Coope   1***

1891 they are under Coope also.

1861 Census
Joseph Corf 34
Ellen Corf   32
Robert Corf 6
Joseph Corf 3
John Corf   0

F/S Bapt;
Joseph CORFE 4 September 1825 Bidstone, Cheshire to JOSEPH/MARGT

So mostly Cheshire for the Familys roots.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)