Author Topic: William Veitch Wilson (Sea Captain )  (Read 6261 times)

Offline HarbourDog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Veitch Wilson (Sea Captain )
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 December 18 16:54 GMT (UK) »
From the Honour Roll of the Fleetwood Salvation Army I have reason to believe William Veitch Wilson was on the ship the Duke of Albany ( an Armed Boarding Steamer) during WW1 when it was sunk by a torpedoe from a German submarine (UB27) on the 2/10/1914 20 miles of the Pentland Skerries. There were 24 men killed but William survived. Can any one tell me any more about this incident? How the other were rescued etc. Even whether William would have been concidered to be in the Royal Navy or it they stayed in the Merchant Navy when their ships were requisitioned.
Thanks Virginia

Hello, I can tell you just about all you wish to know about the Duke of Albany and the sinking. My grandmother's brother was one of those killed when. I went to the NationalArchives when I was in London last year, and photographed every page of the inquiry into the sinking. I don't have them on this computer as I'm in the middle of switching between my old laptop and my new one (my Xmas to myself!) but I will have a look this afternoon.
GREEN, FITZGERALD, & BUCKINGHHAM-London
ALLEN- Worcester & Yeovil
GRAHAM & REGAN-Liverpool & County Mayo
FAGAN-Northumberland

Offline Virginia M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Veitch Wilson (Sea Captain )
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 December 18 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Oh Wow. It was really great to hear from you.
I couldn’t remember when I had asked for information but by the looks it was 8 yrs ago so I can’t tell you how pleased I was & that you are willing to share what you have found out with me.
I know my Great Grandfather William Veitch Wilson was on the “Duke of Albany” as I have a photo of him with the name on his hat. I don’t know when it was but I believe he was on the ship during the war as the Salvation Army at Floeetwood have a Honour Roll & on that list it says  R.N.R “Duke of Albany” next to his name. Also he was given the Mercantile Marine Ribbon issued 3/12/19 & the  Mercantile Marine Medal issued 8/7/24. I haven’t been able to prove he was actually on the ship at the time of the Torpedoing but it seems very likely. And so I would love to know more about the incident. I have tried to get information of him in the Merchant Navy as I thought that may tell me when he was on the ship but as yet haven’t found anything. I’m in Australia & so don’t even know how or where to look except on the internet. I will really appreciate anything you can tell me. Thanks Virginia