Author Topic: Charlotte MORLEY b. circa 1814-1816 Barenpore Bengal  (Read 11087 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte MORLEY b. circa 1814-1816 Barenpore Bengal
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Richard,
Yes, I've had a good look at these entries for the MACNEELANCE family now.  It is possible to make a case for Charlotte MACNEELANCE being born in 1817, being part of a multiple family baptism in 1824, being married at the tender age of 17 to a William Morley on 11th June 1834.  Her father Galbraith had died the previous year at the age of 55; and although he'd been an indigo planter, he'd died a pauper.
No sign of husband William dying suddenly, but at some time Charlotte gets on a ship heading back to Ireland or England in a pregnant state, before marrying again in April 1835 in Hitchin, Herts.  Possible, but it stretches the imagination somewhat...
The other thing is, those Indian Records do contain errors, as per the example of my parents' marriage in 1945.  It's not been mistranscribed from the original card system as I've seen the originals at the British Library.  However, my mother's age is given as 29, instead of 19 (she was quite indignant when she saw that!), and my father has been given a fourth forename - Cameron - someone must have got confused with the fact that he was in the Cameron Highlanders at the time!
So, there are mistakes, and perhaps there are some incorrect dates in this MACNEELANCE story...
keith  

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 16:53 BST (UK) »
Jorose,
Hi again, and your calm voice of reason with that 1843/4 birth entry does seem to put the mockers on my fanciful theory now...
...and I think that would be a good idea to spend £7 on Mathilda's marriage certificate, though she might be coy with her real father's name, and put him down as George Izzard, or possibly leave that space blank.
keith

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 16:56 BST (UK) »
I agree with Jorose that Matilda's marriage certificate would help, although here's something else for the fanciful theory:

Here's a Mrs Morley, seemingly travelling without husband on a ship called the Malabar from Bombay to London, which left Bombay on 3 Jan 1835.

http://search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/aps_detail.php?id=476760

If this is her, she didn't take long in finding George Izzard on arrival in England.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 17:00 BST (UK) »
Richard,
Well now!  And where in the world might her daughter Mathilda be?  Think I'll go and have a quiet lie down now and consider my rational options...
keith

Offline pstockhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 June 08 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys

I have tracked down through the Bengal Presidency Indexes, the LDS-IGIs and FIBIS re the MacNeelance family.

Parents: Galbraith MacNeelance, Ship builder /Indigo Planter, & Mary Ann ?
Galbraith b. circa 1788 died 27.8.1833 a pauper m. circa 1811

Children:
Maria MacNeelance b/d 1812 Presidency of Fort William, Calcutta

Maria MacNeelance b. 20.5.1813 bap. 8.6.1813 Presidency of Fort William, Calcutta, by Rev. Dr Warde; m. 22.11.1841 John Manuel, Govt. Steam Workshops

Coote MacNeelance b. 24.10.1814 bap. 17.12.1814 Presidency of Fort William, Calcutta, by Rev Dr Warde; d. 2.11.1844 at 31 yrs 6mths; profession Writer for Holmes & Co (this company was located at 39 Cossitollah, Calcutta, and produced the Bengal Obituary!!!); buried at South Park Street Cemetery in Grave SP9 (photo of headstone available)

Harriet MacNeelance b. April 1816 bap. 6.2.1824 Presidency of Fort William, Calcutta

Charlotte MacNeelance b. September 1817, bap. 6.2.1824 Presidency of Fort William, by Thos. Thomason Jnr Chaplain.  Father's profession: Indigo Planter, Jessore; m. 11.6.1834 William MORLEY, Superintendent of Boats to Nawab of Moorshedabad.  
Their children: William Samuel Morley b. 6.7.1836 m ?  Child: William Clarendon Morley b.1865 m. Ida Blanche Stone by Banns on 14.2.1888 at Bandikui, d/o James Charles Stone.  Groom was 23, bride 27.  Witns: J Stone, G Hamilton & E S Morley
Sophia Mary Morley b. 13.9.1837 m. George Thomas Saviel by Banns on 10.1.1853 at Fort William; bride 15, groom 21, writer s/o George Saviel; Witns: J Lefever, JHB Wilkie & E S Girrikin [Jerriken]
James Galbraith Morley b. 4.7.1840 m. Constantina Lavinia Savage by Banns on 30.4.1859 at St. Andrew's Church, Calcutta.  Groom was 20, bride 17 d/o William Savage; Witns: F W Matthew, N S Morley & F H Matthew
Children: William James Morley b. Jan 1864 d. 5.5.1865 at Banares at 1yr 4mths, from Dentition and Dysentery
Grace Georgiana Morley b. ? m. Alfred Winter on 24.8.1887 at St. John's Church.  Alfred was full age, Stevedore's Asst. Witns: M Watkins & William Ord
Louisa Adeline Morley b. 10.8.1843.
Children William, Sophia and James were baptised on 5.9.1841

Amelia MacNeelance 7.1.1819 bap. 6.2.1824 Presidency of Fort William, by Thos Thomason Jnr Chaplain; Father's profession: Indigo Plnter, Jessore m. 10.10.1834 James David Daniell; died 8.2.1853 at 34yrs 2mths; buried 9.2.1853 at South Park Street Cemetery by Chap. of St. James' Church.  NOTE: sisters Amelia and Louisa (my ancestor) married brothers James and Thomas Daniell (latter my ancestor).

Robert MacNeelance b. 16.9.1820 bap. 6.2.1824 Presidency of Fort William by Thos. Thomason Jnr. Chap.  Father's prof. Indigo Planter, Jessore

Eliza MacNeelance b. 24.8.1822 bap. 6.2.1824 Presidency of Fort William by Thos. Thomason Jnr Chap; m. 18.10.1842 J Jerrican Jnr
Child: Eliza Jane Gerkin [Jerrican] b. 14.5.1853 bap. 9.12.1853 at Old Church, Fort William, Calcutta

Maria MacNeelance b. 18.12.1824 at Chandernagore bap. 6.1.1833 at Old Church, Calcutta by Richard Beth-Boyes Jnr Chap; Father's prof: formerly Assistant to the Late M Smith Esq., Shipbuilder

Louisa Matilda MacNeelance b. 4.12.1826 Calcutta, bap. 6.1.1833 at Old Church, Calcutta by Richard Beth-Boyes Jnr Chap; Father's prof: formerly Assistant to the Late M Smith Esq., Shipbuilder; m. Thomas Jeremiah (John) Daniell (b. 1820 d. 22.3.1900 at 80, from heart disease and albumina; Govt. pensioner) by Banns on 16.6.1845 at St. John's Cathedral, Calcutta, by H S FIsher Snr. Presidency Chap; Witns: J D Daniell, J G Grant & Wm. E. Branscombe.  Bride was 'under' age; groom was 25.  Louisa died 17.5.1903 at 73 from heart disease; bur. 18.5.1903 at the General Episcopal Cemeteries Circular Road & Park Street by Stuart H Clark, Chap. Old Church of England.

Anna MacNeelance b. 27.7.1829 bap. 6.1.1833 Old Church, Calcutta, by Richard Beth-Boyes; Father's prof: Formerly Assistant to the Late M Smith Esq., Shipbuilder; m. 18.8.1851 Frederick Deefholts; both residing at Collingha, Calcutta.  
Child: Richard Deefholts

NOTE:  Mary Ann was baptised with son Coote MacNeelance on 17.12.1814, at age 19.  She was wrongly mentioned as being the daughter of Galbraith McNeelance and NOT his wife.  However carefully examining her y/o/b (1814 - 19yrs = 1795).  At death Mary Ann was said to be the wife of Galbraith who was 59 when she died in 1854 (1854 - 59 = 1795).  Any researcher would recognise a mistake as was in the case of Mary Ann's baptism.

Further, a relative (possibly brother / cousin) named Thomas MacNeelance was a shipbuilder / Master / Owner of Frederick & Maria and Master / Owner of Matilda, sailing to Sydney, Shoalhaven, Derwent, Pearl Islands, Easter Islands, Canton and Port Louis.  In his will Thomas 'bequeath into my relation Glabraith Macneelance of Calcutta all my worldly effects of what nature or kind..."
Thomas was b. 1775 (Galbraith b. 1778) place unknown, d. 15.2.1820 Calcutta at 45, Captain of Country Service.

May I confirm that in the 25 years of researching my family history, I have come across heaps of (human) errors as in the case of Mary Ann being noted in the baptism record as Galbraith's daughter!!!

Hope the above is of some help to you Keith.  In turn can you fill me in with the details you have on Charlotte's second marriage etc ???

Pam

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 June 08 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam, and welcome to Rootschat!
Have only just this minute arrived home from a 10-day holiday in Denmark, so apologies for not replying sooner to your amazing post on the MACNEELANCE family.  By a strange coincidence I was supposed to be meeting this Saturday the friend whose query about Charlotte MORLEY started this thread, but at the last moment she was unable to travel from Copenhagen to Als, where I was staying in a summer house.
Will need a little time to digest all the incredible detail you have come up with here, but as soon as I do, I'll be in touch again. 
This post is simply an acknowledgement of your previous post, and to explain why I hadn't replied sooner!
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline pstockhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 June 08 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

Thanks for the warm welcome.  Found RootsChat by chance as a result of the discussion on MacNeelances. :)  Hope the info is of help. 

There were heaps of Morleys in India so the uncertainty exists whether it was Charlotte leaving Bombay for London on 3 Jan 1835.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.  Appreciate receiving your comments.

Kind regards
Pam

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 08:09 BST (UK) »
Pam,
Funny how a bit of a break away from Rootschat confuses the memory somewhat, but I do recollect that someone on here, either by PM or on another thread gave me the info that Mathilda gave her father's name as John MORLEY at one of her marriages, the second one I think.
Though it is entirely possible that she never knew him and might have been guessing or going on hearsay...
keith

Offline pstockhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 02:20 BST (UK) »
Keith

FIBIS has John Morley marrying Elizabeth King in 1852 at Madras, the LDS has two Charlotte Morleys born in 1843 & 1865.

I get the feeling Charlotte MacNeelance & William Morley to be a different family.

Pam