Author Topic: Durham Light Infantry  (Read 5541 times)

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Durham Light Infantry
« on: Friday 25 April 08 09:10 BST (UK) »
How do I go finding out about the service of my g.g. Uncle in the Durham Light Infantry. He allegedly served with them for 9 years prior to 1912. I know this as is stated on his WW1 service record.

His Name was either John HOGG or John Hogg SMITH. He was born in 1888 in Berwick or Berwickshire. (I'm hoping if I find some info on him in the DLI it may resolve his birth details/identity)

I see there is a regimental museum, but it says that all records are now with the Durham County records office, and Its unlikely that I am going to be able to visit.

Any tips or pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tracey

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durham Light Infantry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 April 08 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracey

The records you want will be in Kew rather than the Durham Record Office. However I cannot see how he could have served 9 years prior to 1912 given the year of his birth.

There is a John Hogg Smith on FreeBMD who was born in Co Durham in 1879. This date would fit in with a soldier with pre-WW1 service. If you have his service record that should say where/when he was born. It should also say in which battalion of the DLI he had this prior service. From this you can tell if he was a Regular or not.

Regarding surviving records these will either be in WO97 (if a regular) or WO96 (if he was a part-timer). Either way they are in alphabetical order so he will either be with the Smiths or the Hoggs. These are original documents and you or your researcher will have to visit Kew.

I would also read this: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

Ken

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 April 08 10:24 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 April 08 14:16 BST (UK) »
;D I'm on that thread ev.... but its his pre-ww1 history I'm interested in... as theres still gaps in my knowledge about him...

km1971 - it may be that he was born in 1883, but the 1888 date ties with the census record I have... also the 9 years with the DLI could have been an exageration...

Tx