Author Topic: National Burial Index does anyone have a copy?  (Read 3105 times)

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
National Burial Index does anyone have a copy?
« on: Monday 05 April 04 16:17 BST (UK) »
does anyone have the NBI?
if yes or no, does it cover soldiers deaths in the WW1?
i know we have the commonwealth graves website, but i was just wondering.
my neice is going to France soon,to view the cemetries of WW1 soldiers and i wondered if the NBI would be of use - ie giving more info than the commonwealth graves website
jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re:National Burial Index does anyone have a copy?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 April 04 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaq,
I've got a copy of the NBI at home. As none of the counties which I am interested in are covered, I've not used it for a long while. (Anyone interested in buying?)
The CD doesn't have any burials abroad, and I don't think that the burials given are detailed enough to state whether they are military graves or not. I'll have a look this evening and get back to you.

D ap D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 04 11:58 BST (UK) »
hi and thanks for your reply.
i might be interested in buying, please send me PM with details, price etc
jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 April 04 12:11 BST (UK) »
I have the NBI and I'm pretty sure there are no war deaths on it.

The CWGC is your best bet.

The NBI has been a total waste of money to me. Some counties are so poorly represented, London not at all and Middlesex less than 11,000.

I've only found 2 burials and that was only recently.

Diane
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.