Author Topic: Fasti Eccliase  (Read 1990 times)

Offline i love paisley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fasti Eccliase
« on: Saturday 26 April 08 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Does anyone out there know of a church record comparable to the Fasti Eccliaese, that would list the names of the ministers of the Church of Scotland in the 17th century?

Thank you.
Kathy

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Fasti Eccliase
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 April 08 18:24 BST (UK) »
As far as I'm aware the Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae is the primary (if not only record) from the 16th Century onwards.

There are different volumes for different areas however if he was not of the main Church of Scotland but was presbyterian from the dissenting churches , they created their own records.

Offline i love paisley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 April 08 04:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Falkryn,
Thanks for the reply.  I did find my ancestor, William Reid, in the Fasti Ecclesaie, however I already had the information that I found  there .
I was hoping it would give me the names of his parents, or at least his birthplace, but no luck.  The information in the Fasti was taken from his tombstone.
Kathy

Offline Roncac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
As far as I'm aware the Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae is the primary (if not only record) from the 16th Century onwards.

There are different volumes for different areas however if he was not of the main Church of Scotland but was presbyterian from the dissenting churches , they created their own records.

There is an Index of Scottish Presbyterian ministers which includes not only the ministers in the Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae but also the ministers from other smaller Presbyterian Churches such as the Reformed Presbyterian Church, the Free Church of Scotland and the United Presbyterian Church. Information about the Index is given at http://ecclegen.com/general-index-introduction/ and the Index itself at http://ecclegen.com/general-index-general-index/

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 June 18 23:06 BST (UK) »
The majority of Ministers attended University/College.  I have 6 in my family 4 attended Glasgow and can be found here: https://www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk/search  One attended Edinburgh the other St. Andrews which you can email the respective archives.

The earlier records contain a host of information including letters of recombination, parents, occupations, etc.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.