Author Topic: In search of the Evans family (Ieuan Glan Geirionydd)  (Read 6678 times)

Offline DdraigGoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
In search of the Evans family (Ieuan Glan Geirionydd)
« on: Monday 28 April 08 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help me in my research on the Evans family from Tan Y Celyn Trefriw. I will tell you what I have so far.

16 Nov 1787 Robert Evans a shipwright from Dyffryn Arudwy married Elizabeth Pritchard of Tan Y Celyn

They had 5 children:
Catherine Baptised: 22 Feb 1789 - Buried: 26 Apr 1864
Mary Baptised: 12 Dec 1790
Hannah Baptised: 2 Jun 1793 - Buried: 17 Apr 1794
Evan Baptised: 26 Apr 1795 - Buried 26 Jan 1855
John Baptised: 17 Sept 1797 - Buried: 25 Dec 1797

Robert Evans was Buried on 11 Jan 1850 and his wife Elizabeth 18 Apr 1831 both at Ty Ucha Trefriw.

Catherine (who I am descended from) went on to marry John Roberts from Tyddyn Gwylim, Llanrhychwyn. John went on to found the Chapel in Ardda. They had a child called William John Roberts (Gwylim Cowlyd)

Evan (Ieuan Glan Geirionydd) went on to marry a lady called Sarah UNKNOWN, and became quite famous in his time.

If you do a search on google for Ieuan Glan Geirionydd or Gwylim Cowlyd you will find loads of information on them.

The problem I am having is with the sister Mary. I have been told that she is the mother of the learned man Geirionydd. But am afraid I can not find any information on this person.

The only information I have on Mary upto now is that I believe she may have married a David Davies on 28 Aug 1809 in St Marys Church Trefriw. Also I believe they may have had a daughter called Elizabeth in abt 1810/11

If anybody out there has any information on this Geirionydd person I would be most greatfull.

Thanks in advance

Haydn

Offline trefriw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: In search of the Evans family (Ieuan Glan Geirionydd)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 May 08 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Hadyn

I'm not sure if this is the Mary you are looking for, but in the 1851 census HO/107/2508-97-14 Wernfawr Eglwysbach

David Davies     65  Farmer of 8 acres        b. Llanrwst
Mary Davies       60  farmer's wife               b. Trefriw
Hannah Davies  18  daughter                     b. Eglwysbach

I'll try and get in touch with the secretary of our (Trefriw) Historical Society, he might be able to help.

Regards

Francine
Taylor: Whitley/Thornhill,Yorkshire
Bean: Helpston,Northamptonshire/Yorkshire
Denton: Thornhill/Thornhill Lees,Yorkshire
Grason: Thornhill/Thornhill Lees,Yorkshire
Hill: Ufford,Northamptonshire/Yorkshire
Kaye: Lepton/Whitley,Yorkshire
Sykes: Lepton, Yorkshire

Offline DdraigGoch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 May 08 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Francine

Thank you very much for getting back to me. Yes this is the right family. I was also contacted on Rootsweb the other day by a gentleman that gave me many good leads, and have managed to trace most of the family through the census.

I have found that the Man Geirionydd was called Evan Evans Davies, who was born in Eglwysbach, and settled in London House Conwy. His occupation was as a Draper. From the Newspaper adverts etc I have found for him up to now he sold Silks and Cotton products etc, and also Gold wedding rings. By the look of it he was fairly big in Conway on Councils and committees etc. I have only found one article up to now where it mentions his name as Geirionydd, it is in an Article for the EISTEDDFOD CONWY Baner ac Amserau Cymru (Denbigh, Wales), Wednesday, August 21, 1861; Issue 234. Also found his name linked to Ieuan Glan Geirionydd and  Gwylim Cowlyd in his Obituary in Baner ac Amserau Cymru (Denbigh, Wales), Wednesday, April 13, 1881; Issue 1259. I am afraid my Welsh is not 100% so I have emailed these articles to my Mother in law to translate for me (she has her uses LOL)

Here is a copy of the memorials I was sent by the Gentleman on Rootsweb, if it was not for him I would not have know where to start:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
here are two memorial inscriptions at St Martin's, Eglwysbach which are bound to be of interest to you.

E091  In memory of HANNAH JONES, the beloved wife of JOHN JONES, Abbey, Conway, who died September 12th 1862 aged 30 years. Also WILLIAM DAVIES, brother of the above HANNAH JONES, and son of DAVID DAVIES, Wern fawr, who died February 26th 1863 aged 28 years. Also MARY DAVIES, their sister who died March 28th 1891 aged 75 years.

E092  In memory of CATHERINE MARY, Grandaughter of DAVID DAVIES, Wern fawr, who died May the 1st 1856 aged 7 years. Also the said DAVID DAVIES, who died the 18th day of July 1858 aged 75. Also ROBERT EVAN HUGHES, Grandson of the above DAVID DAVIES, who died the 30th day of April 1862 aged 17 years. Also MARY DAVIES, beloved wife of the above DAVID DAVIES, Wern fawr, who died the 29th day of May 1862 aged 71 years.

Also to be found at St Agnes, Conwy is

E033  In affectionate memory of E.E. DAVIES, London House, Conwy. Born April 9, 1827. Died April 6, 1881. "Thy will be done"""
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

My next step is to try to trace E.E.Davies older sister Elizabeth. On the sale of the Gwydyr Estates for 1896 for Trefriw it had the following:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Lot 74

TY UCHAF

Held under the lease, dated 30th November 1815, granted to the late Mr. Robert Evans for and during the lives of Mr. Evan Evans, Miss Elizabeth Roberts, and Miss Elizabeth Davies, aged at date of lease 20, 5, and 5 years respectively, at a ground rent of £3 3s. per annum.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I believe TY Ucha to be the house on the first crossroads on the big hill in Trefriw. Now called Gwyndy

Now I know Evan Evans is Ieuan Glan Geirionydd the son of Robert Evans
Elizabeth Roberts is the Older sister of Gwylim Cowlyd. Robert Evans Grandchild
So I am guessing that Elizabeth Davies is E.E.Davies older sister.

Looking through the census for Ty Ucha there is an Ann Roberts there which is one of Gwylim Cowlyds other sisters.

Looking through the census for Wern Fawr and also on the grave I have found some Hughes from Trefriw. So am guessing that Elizabeth Davies married a Hughes.

This will be the next root I try to follow once I have five minutes to spare lol.

Anyway thanks for getting back to me and I hope I have not waffled to much

Haydn

Offline trefriw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 May 08 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Haydn

Have you written to Capel Peniel in Trefriw? The chapel at Ardda came under Capel Peniel I believe. The story is that the minister would preach in Peniel in the morning, walk up to Ardda for a service (he had more puff than I have!) and then walk back down to Peniel for the evening service. It's a pity that David Ffrancon Williams died last year as he would probably have been able to help you.

Good hunting

Francine
Taylor: Whitley/Thornhill,Yorkshire
Bean: Helpston,Northamptonshire/Yorkshire
Denton: Thornhill/Thornhill Lees,Yorkshire
Grason: Thornhill/Thornhill Lees,Yorkshire
Hill: Ufford,Northamptonshire/Yorkshire
Kaye: Lepton/Whitley,Yorkshire
Sykes: Lepton, Yorkshire

Offline DdraigGoch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 May 08 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Francine

No I have not, but it is a good idea.

If you are right in what you say then I think you will find that the minister that did this was called John Roberts of Tyddyn Gwylim. He is my G x 4 Grandfather, and is the person that founded Ardda Chapel. Found a lot of information on him from his Obituary in 1879.

John Roberts is the father of Gwylim Cowlyd (Think I have already said that somewhere sorry if I am repeating myself)

Now I know that some of his children where baptized in Peniel chapel. Found them in one of the books that where made by the Gwynedd family history society. But these records only date from 1813 to 1837.

It would be great to see more records for the chapels. I think my Grandmothers Chapel was the Ebenezer one on the Hill, and then her Husbands side must have been the Penial chapel and Ardda chapel. I believe Ardda Chapel came to an end when John Roberts died in 1879.

I can not find any records for these chapels in the Archives. You do not happen to know if there are any, or are they still all with the chapels.

It would be great to see them as I believe I would get one hell of a lot of information from them.

Haydn

Offline CoryJR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 August 08 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Does anyone know the names of children that Evan Evans (Ieuan Glan Geirionydd) & his wife Sarah had? My family ancestry may link me to him but I need to know if they had any children. One in particular born around 1817 named Robert Evans?

Offline DdraigGoch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 August 08 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

As far as I am aware. Evan Evans and his wife Sarah did not have any children, but if anybody knows diffrent I would love to know more. I have managed to trace quite a bit of information on his 2 sisters families, but nothing on any descendants of Evan.

I am descended from Evans sister Catherine who married a John Roberts. She is buried in the same grave in Trefriw as Evan and their Parents Robert and Elizabeth.

If you would like anymore information that I have just ask.

Haydn

Offline CoryJR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 August 08 22:35 BST (UK) »
Oh Ok, I will keep searching then just to make sure. I have come across several family charts of my ancestry that link me back to an Evan Evans born in 1795 in North Wales (we never knew the exact location) but he married a Sarah and had a child Robert Evans in 1817 (a blood relative of mine going back 6 generations). Could be just a coincidence though?

Another coincidence is that my last name is Roberts as well but that family line goes back to Wolverhampton then Birmingham, England.

Keep in touch,

Cory

Offline DdraigGoch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Cory

Very interesting. I would love to know more on your connection.

The only thing that worries me is that I received an email from someone a few months ago, who had researched a Biography of Evan Evans that was written soon after his death.

In there he says it stated that Evan married a Miss Wilson of Vicars Cross on 5th May 1829.

But I must admit the only evidence I have to go on at the moment on their marriage is this email.

Haydn