Author Topic: Tottenham Cemetary  (Read 22228 times)

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
  • I shall have to go back through the looking-glass
    • View Profile
Re: Tottenham Cemetary
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 July 11 17:07 BST (UK) »
My grandparents are buried in the Northern Section of Tottenham Cemetery too, but they do not have a headstone there-so be prepared, especially as you all live so far away, and is quite some journey, it would be awful if you get there expecting to find a stone and there is nothing, as happened in our case, and is quite common.
You feel somehow so desolate looking at open ground !

Good luck, and I hope that you find what you are looking for.
Hello,
Thank you for responding with your information.
Yes it can be difficult living so far away and not being able to take extended trips to find the actual site. My Uncle was buried there in 1953. I have vague memories visiting the grave at one time with my grandmother before we came to the US. There was a curb stone and a headstone. So I would assume that there should be something left unless it has been vandalised, fallen over or in an area that is not maintained or abandoned.

Did your grandparents ever have a head stone was it removed or moved? How many years ago was that? I know in some of the very old cemeteries unfortunately there has been much vandalism or reconstruction. Sad! In some very old cemeteries head stones have deteriorated to the point of no recognition. This is all very disappointing! However I have hope that Tottenham is somewhat still an active cemetery and what I have read it is set up as a park. On another note my grandparents are buried at the Eastern Necropolis and Janefield in Glasgow, Scotland. I have no hope of going there to visit my traveling days are over due to severe arthritis. I have read that the cemetery at the Eastern Necropolis  is run down  which has the Celtic stadium next to it. From photos I see that it is a shame.

My cousin who's father is buried at Tottenham will go there sometime in the future. We have searched for years just to find which cemetery that he was buried in. In some ways just knowing where he is is a comfort for the time being.

Thank you again for your input.
K
P.S. I just reread this thread and realized I did not include the grave site information: Tottenham Cemetery White Hart Lane Northern Section Grave #10814 Arthur John Robin (20 Mar 1915-24 Apr 1953) British Merchant Navy
Robin  =O:> Glasgow, Scotland and England
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
       Buchanan Gilkerson [of Kentucky],
               Meikljohn, Eltze.
Walter Robin 1719-1784 & Isabel Gardner 1724-1769

...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures! .

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 July 11 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there K,
Sadly my grandparents never had a headstone on the grave in the first place, family issues as to who would do it I think, and they never ended up getting one at all ! I am currently investigating who the registered owner of the grave is, if I can take legal ownership of it, then I can begin the necessary steps to get a headstone put on there for them.
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 July 11 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there K,
Sadly my grandparents never had a headstone on the grave in the first place, family issues as to who would do it I think, and they never ended up getting one at all ! I am currently investigating who the registered owner of the grave is, if I can take legal ownership of it, then I can begin the necessary steps to get a headstone put on there for them.

Good luck. This researching is a daunting venture.  Not to be negative but be fore warned about any untoward expenses that might have accrued over the years. I read one story of some one who were charged high costs to upkeep or restore a headstone that was not even their family's lot. Not sure where you are located. It is hard to deal with transactions from overseas. Although I did have good luck in some cases but it has taken 'time' just to find out this information . Like my cousin said to me some six months ago "I can't wait for records to be released I'll be dead by then!"  He is about six years older than me.  I live in California and he lives in Brisbane, Queensland, AU. My cousin never really knew his father since his father and mother separated then he died and his mother died in 1960. Too many miles apart and the last time we met was over 40 years ago!  Well all families have stories to tell. ::)
Keep in touch! If I find any new information I will post here. I have met many interesting people in this search for ancestors. My son thinks it is silly but he will one day see what becomes important and interesting as you get older. I have compiled a nice family tree so when his future someday children ask him about family he will have all my searches.  :)
Karola

Here is a sweet poem I found online:

* * * * * * Your Headstone stands among the rest,
* * * * * * Neglected and alone
* * * * * * The name and date are chiseled out
* * * * * * On polished, marble stone.

* * * * * * It reaches out to all who care
* * * * * * It is to late to mourn.
* * * * * * You did not know that I exist
* * * * * * You died and I was born.

* * * * * * Yet each of us are cells of you
* * * * * * In flesh, in blood, in bone.
* * * * * * Our hearts contract and beats a pulse
* * * * * * Entirely not are own.

* * * * * * Dear ancestor the place you filled
* * * * * * One hundred years ago
* * * * * * Spreads out among the ones you left
* * * * * * Who would have loved you so.

* * * * * * I wonder if you lived and loved,
* * * * * * I wonder if you knew
* * * * * * That someday i would find this spot
* * * * * * And come to pay my respects to you.

Author Unknown.*
* * * *Monumental Inscriptions: A Beautiful Poem* found on the Merchant Navy rootschat 2005* *
               Meikljohn, Eltze.

...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures! .

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 July 11 18:13 BST (UK) »
Also be prepared for more disappointment with regards to ownership  :-\

A lot of people think that graves are purchased freehold and 'in perpetuity' (for ever) but this is often not the case. 50, 75 or 100 years are the usual leaseholds on a plot.

A lot of cemeteries nowadays are planning to reuse plots that still have space in them, that haven't been opened for so many years (75 or 100) and no trace of the occupiers or plot owners families can be made. Many plots were purchased and over the years the ownership details have not been updated with changes of address.

The lease on my great grandparents grave has expired, and the local authority didn't know who to contact when it did. So even though I have come along at a much later date, had my current contact details put on file should they need to contact me, there is nothing further I can do with regards to the plot.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 July 11 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Dawn,

Yes, I have heard of such happenings.  I was thinking that if the grave is over a certain age or time factor that it is or can be reclaimed by the 'cemetery'. Especially if there are no relatives etc.  Your information although sad is a sobering thought.  :(

Thanks for your contribution,
K
Robin  =O:> Glasgow, Scotland and England
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.

Offline solveman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 July 15 22:07 BST (UK) »
I was extremely interested by this thread, as I am trying to find the whereabouts of my grandad's grave. I know it was definitely in North London. I emailed Enfield cemeteries (re Enfield, Tottenham and Wood Green) and Abney Park but he isn't in any of those. The only person still living that might have a clue as to whice cemetery he is in had the feeling it was 'Grove somethingorother'.  By process of elimination we have come to the deduction that it must be Edmonton, as the cortege would have gone from Shoreditch, North along Kingsland High Road, Stoke Newington High Road, Bruce Grove, A10, Edmonton Cemetery. A long shot, I know. Anyway, I have emailed them and the undertaker that conducted the funeral. Fingers crossed, eh?

My main reason for responding to this rather old thread was to state that all of the cemeteries have been extremely helpful and responded within 24 hours. Also, you can find some graves on here: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gs& This database has been, and is still being, compiled by well meaning amateurs so there are many grave not listed. I have found it useful nevertheless.

All the best
Rich

Offline solveman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 July 15 22:21 BST (UK) »
Also be prepared for more disappointment with regards to ownership  :-\

A lot of people think that graves are purchased freehold and 'in perpetuity' (for ever) but this is often not the case. 50, 75 or 100 years are the usual leaseholds on a plot.

A lot of cemeteries nowadays are planning to reuse plots that still have space in them, that haven't been opened for so many years (75 or 100) and no trace of the occupiers or plot owners families can be made. Many plots were purchased and over the years the ownership details have not been updated with changes of address.

The lease on my great grandparents grave has expired, and the local authority didn't know who to contact when it did. So even though I have come along at a much later date, had my current contact details put on file should they need to contact me, there is nothing further I can do with regards to the plot.

Dawn

Dawn,

I would seek legal advice on this. We had an issue with plot deeds. My mum was joint owner for my uncle's plot and we thought she changed her dad's plot as part of the will when he died but she didn't. When she died we did nothing about the plots at that time. However, when my father passed 5 months later we laid mum and dad together in a plot, which was put in my brother's name. We decided, at that point, to transfer the others, as we thought they were in mums name, but found a bit of a messy mine field. However, we passed copies everything we had to our solicitor and they are now all in my brother's name. It isn't cheap but certainly worth it.

So my point is, it's always worth a chat to a solicitor.

Rich

Offline darren456

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 July 15 22:41 BST (UK) »
From memory there is a £20 Pound fee
Regards
Darren

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 20:35 BST (UK) »
This is slightly off the thread but - I wonder if any Tottenham local knows the history of Tottenham Cemetery, before it became a cemetery in the 1850's.  (NOT Tottenham Park Cemetery)

Was it a large house and garden/estate?

Any help please?

Pam