Author Topic: Industrial Schools in Brighton 1861  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Bellou

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Industrial Schools in Brighton 1861
« on: Monday 28 April 08 23:24 BST (UK) »
I have found Elizabeth Wingham b 1847 in an Industrial school, 1 Montpelier Road, Brighton in the 1861 census . (Elizabeth later emigrated to Australia and I have had contact from her descendents)

I am still looking for the whereabouts of her brother Adam Wingham b 1852 (my husbands Gr Grandfather) . In 1861 census their mother Lucy Wingham (widow) was in Brighton workhouse and it appears that some of the census records for Brighton are lost for the Palace area . Adam may have been in these records as he is not with his mother or with any older siblings .

I was wondering if anyone knows if records for the Industrial schools in Brighton still exist? Where was the equivalent Industrial School for boys in Brighton ?

Many thanks
Wingham - Brighton, Sussex ,London
Hedgecock - Sussex
Green - Kent , Sussex ,Gloucs
Wescombe - Kent , Sussex
Holloway - Oldbury, Worcs
Hixson - Oystermouth, Glamorgan
Marshall - Ashton Under Lyne,
Lee - Ashton Under Lyne
Kift - Glamorgan
Bushnell, - Oxfordshire
Munday - Hampshire , Oxfordshire
Naylor - Bakewell, Derbyshire
Bramwell - Bakewell, Derbyshire
Messenger - Oxfordshire
Allwright - Oxfordshire
Harvey - Bow and Poplar , East London .
Camebus - East London , Croydon

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Industrial Schools in Brighton 1861
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Bellou.

Here's a couple of websites about the industrial schools:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03bj/
http://www.hiddenlives.org.uk/articles/raggedschool.html

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, This is in East Sussex Records Office, I realise the dates are earlier but possibly family links? Pete

FILE - Copy of Probate of the Will of this date of ADAM WINGHAM of Brighton, carpenter decd - ref.  SAS-BR/218  - date: 24 Jan 1829
      [from Scope and Content] Robert Wingham, father of the said Adam mentioned

FILE - Assingment - ref.  SAS-BR/219  - date: 24 Mar 1830
      [from Scope and Content] By THOMAS CHAMBERS of Seaford, esq., mortgagee, and BARAK WINGHAM of Brighton, cordwainer and JOHN BROwn of the same place, breeches maker, Trustees and executors under the Will of Robert Wingham of Brighton, fisherman, decd. and the said John Brown and ANN his wife, THOMAS WINGHAM of B'ton, fisherman, and JOHN FORBES of B'ton, printer, and MARY his wife to ADAM WINGHAM and ROBERT WINGHAM of B'ton, fisherman, - for nominal consideration to the said Thos. Chambers, who had sufficient security from other premises under his Mortgage, and for £750 to the said Adam and Robert Wingham- of a piece of ground in B'ton containing 31 ft.5 in. bounding to Church St. and measuring in front on the N. side from E. to W., 26 ft. 1 in

FILE - Mortgage - ref.  SAS-BR/220  - date: 26 Mar 1830
    [from Scope and Content] By the said ADAM WINGHAM AND ROBERT WINGHAM to THOMAS HUES of Hove, labourer, - for £200 of the said land and the messuage thereon. Signatures of Mortgagors & seals

FILE - Assignment by way of Mortgage Transfer - ref.  SAS-BR/221  - date: 1 Jul 1839
      [from Scope and Content] By the said THOMAS HUES and ADAM WINGHAM and ROBERT WINGHAM to WILLIAM CATT of Brighton, brewer - for £200 to the said Hues and £10 further advanced to the said Adam & Robt. Wingham - of the said premises, subject to the existing mortgage

Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Bellou

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 July 08 23:57 BST (UK) »
I think there are family links . I will check them.

Thanks

Bellou
Wingham - Brighton, Sussex ,London
Hedgecock - Sussex
Green - Kent , Sussex ,Gloucs
Wescombe - Kent , Sussex
Holloway - Oldbury, Worcs
Hixson - Oystermouth, Glamorgan
Marshall - Ashton Under Lyne,
Lee - Ashton Under Lyne
Kift - Glamorgan
Bushnell, - Oxfordshire