Author Topic: Anthony Campbell b. 1786 Balmaghie  (Read 22554 times)

Offline p1pangy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Campbell b. 1786 Balmaghie
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 24 January 09 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Think I've found Anthony[b.1786 Balmaghie]'s parents - David Campbell & Janet McNish - & siblings - from DC's will 14June1816 [found via scotlandspeople]. DC d.1821 & widow ca.1825 [I think]. DC was tailor in Laurieston, as was son David who appears in censuses there. Youngest son James [b.ca1800] was successful draper in Gatehouse - was nephew [my] Robert trained by him? [R became draper in Yorkshire].  Other sons, William & Anthony [Robert's dad], were small farmers/farm servants/ag.labs [from censuses]. Also 4 daughters Margaret, Mary, Jean & Janet. I'm almost convinced on this but not yet 100%.
Hope this v. brief summary clear to you all!
Would welcome any comments on this or my previous post.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 24 January 09 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi pangy

As Tiana hasn't replied (and hasn't been online since 2 Dec) , I feel that I ought to.  My role was to help Tiana with her research rather than having any personal  interest in the family. I'm therefore rusty on the details.

It is a long time since we investigated this family and I'm sure that your Robert is part of  the family. As you can see, we concentrated on going backwards with this family and didn't investigate Robert.

I am ill at the moment but I'll re-look at the full details when I'm feeling more fit.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 24 January 09 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi again pangy

Before jumping to any conclusions, please read this message:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,297608.0.html

It will be best to keep your observations to this thread though  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline p1pangy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello to you all.
Thanks for the links Gadget! Hope you will feel better soon.
I have spent rather too much time recently 'up my tree in Balmaghie' and now have quite a lot of info about Anthony's offspring, siblings & parents which I will send Gadget - & anyone else who asks - offline.
re the 1861 census [earlier posting]  - nephew George Anthony Campbell was staying with unmarried uncle James Campbell who had obviously taken over his father's farm at Whimpark.
I would very much appreciate Gadget's expert advice on a number of points, but no hurry:
Do you know if IGI & OPR [on scotlandspeople] are the only available sources of parish records? - those seem a bit patchy for baptisms & marriages, & absent for pre-1855 deaths.
Do you have any of the Balmaghie family on your MIs? Death cert. of David Campbell [1782-1857] says he was buried in 'churchyard' - might there be a family plot?
Can you advise where Kirk Sessions Minutes might be found - Edinburgh or [hopefully] Dumfries? - I hope to enjoy 'site visit' sometime this year.
Can you see any obvious bloopers in what I've found? [see offline attachments]
Any other useful 'wrinkles' on tracing Scottish forebears?
re Tiana's tree - I wonder whether she links to John Campbell / Mary Shaw - yes another Mary Shaw - of Kirkpatrick Durham who appear in OPR as parents twice ca.1800 but not producing Robert there in 1809.
I think I'm now about to begin the really difficult part of this exercise! Just where did David Campbell & Janet McNish [married ca 1781] come from?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi pangy

I have received your information. It will take me a long time to read it and get back to you. Please note that I am an amateur genealogist with an interest in Kircudbrightshire because some of  my ancestors came from there. Because of this, I have learnt a lot about the area and have visited on a number of occasions. I can't give the time at the moment to read through everything that you've sent and it would need considerable checking (and use of units on SP).

At the end of the day, we have to go through our own findings systemmatically and do various checks and tests to check if we have arrived at the correct  interpretation.

I would very much appreciate Gadget's expert advice on a number of points, but no hurry:
Do you know if IGI & OPR [on scotlandspeople] are the only available sources of parish records? - those seem a bit patchy for baptisms & marriages, & absent for pre-1855 deaths. They are the only systemmatically availale records. Some recordsare available for non-C of Scotland but these are patchy. Kirk Sessions records are worth investigating
Do you have any of the Balmaghie family on your MIs? Death cert. of David Campbell [1782-1857] says he was buried in 'churchyard' - might there be a family plot?  I do have and will look later
Can you advise where Kirk Sessions Minutes might be found - Edinburgh or [hopefully] Dumfries? - I hope to enjoy 'site visit' sometime this year. The records are all in Edinburgh. I have spent many hours going through them to find only a few entries for my ancestors. It is tedious but interesting. SP are planning to put them online in the near future. I'm not sure if the Ewart have them all.
Can you see any obvious bloopers in what I've found? [see offline attachments]  It will take me a long time to read through what you've sent
Any other useful 'wrinkles' on tracing Scottish forebears? No more than any where else

Regards

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi again pangy

It is not really acceptable on Rootschat  for lots of information to be sent via private PMs because it inhibits the  free sharing of information and discussion about it (lots of statements from Mods about this).

Could I suggest that you start a new thread, either on this Kircudbrightshire board or on the Scotland- General board, staing the information that you have sent me and asking for people to go through it and check your logic. You might have more and faster  response  that way :)

Regards

Gadget 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 30 January 09 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi pangy

Nothing in the Balmaghie MIs on David (d. 1857) but there is this:

David Campbell, d. Lauriston 21 Dec 1821 aged 65
wife Janet McNish d. 28 May 1834 aged 78
Children -  James, draper in Gatehouse d 9 Oct 1849 aged 50 (int. Girthon)
               Margaret d. Laurieston 9 Oct 1852, aged 71
               Jean Campbell d. Delaware City, US 13 Nov 1853, aged 65 (husband James Colvin)   
               Mary Campbell d. Laurieston 24 Feb 1887 aged 88 (husband Joseph Fraser)

Gadget

corrected  :)

Offline p1pangy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 02 February 09 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget - I'm sure they're mine. But could you please look again at Jean Campbell Colvin's age at death?
Nothing in the Balmaghie MIs on David (d. 1857) but there is this:
David Campbell, d. Lauriston 21 Dec 1821 aged 65
wife Janet McNish d. 28 May 1834 aged 78
Children -  James, draper in Gatehouse d 9 Oct 1849 aged 50 (int. Girthon)
               Margaret d. Laurieston 9 Oct 1852, aged 71
               Jean Campbell d. Delaware City, US 13 Nov 1853, aged 1853 (husband James Colvin)   
               Mary Campbell d. Laurieston 24 Feb 1887 aged 88 (husband Joseph Fraser)
I wonder why just these 4 [of 8 children] were on MI - parents' favourites perhaps? Certainly Anthony [d. likely early 1850s], David [d.1857], & William [d.1864] predeceased Mary [d.1887]. Could it be they had 'grass graves' - as no one around was able/willing to pay for stone with inscription? I'd like to find MIs for the other children and, particularly, the MIs [or other records of death, if any] for Anthony [1786-early1850s], his wife Mary Shaw [d.between 1841 & 1851 - or ran away from census then], daughter Mary [1824-1844, d. of typhus at Whimpark, Balmaghie par.].
Also I'd like to find proper marriage entry for Anthony & Mary - IGI shows "c.1807 in , , Kirkcudbrightshire" & scotlandspeople ignores them.
Again, thank you Gadget for yr disinterested help/advice - it's much appreciated.  ATB to all - is anyone else chasing this line?
p1pangy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 02 February 09 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Told you I had Ozzie flu, pangy - she was ever so old wasn't she  ;D ;D ;D

I'll go check up later

Kirkcudbright OPRs are a law to themselves - I'd love to have them all in regimental order. It would help sort all mine out.

Gadget