Author Topic: Norbiton & Buckinghamshire, Mills 1855 onwards  (Read 770 times)

Offline lorskreng

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Norbiton & Buckinghamshire, Mills 1855 onwards
« on: Monday 17 January 05 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm posting this here in the hope that someone will be able to explain this to me.
One of my relatives (George Mills) was born in 1855 - however on the Census returns I have (only back to 1881) it lists his birthplace as Norbiton, Buckinghamshire !?!!  The only other info I have is that his father is Thomas.

Having had a look on the map, I discovered that Norbiton is actually near Kingston (Surrey)...I've tried searching all birth records for a similar record but to no avail.

I'm now tearing my hair out on this one - I would appreciate any suggestions as to where to look next for any clues  ;D

thank-you.
lorskreng
Elliott - Essex, Blatchford - Devon, Mills - Buckinghamshire, Mills - Devon, Pankhurst - Kent, Marsh - Kent

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Norbiton & Buckinghamshire, Mills 1855 onwards
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 January 05 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorskreng

If your George is the one living at 28 James St, Exeter in 1901, census ref; RG13/2045 Folio 94b,  then I would say that his birthplace is actually Wolverton, Bucks.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lorskreng

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 January 05 22:29 GMT (UK) »
That's exactly the one.  You are right - it  does look like Wolverton, although the reason why I'm confused is because when I search on bmd - I can only find one George Mills born in 1853 in Eton district...there's a gap after this for a couple of years.

There are quite a few Mills in residence near Newport Pagnell though, quite near Wolverton.  One route of enquiry has been the 1871 census RG10/1479 - Residing at Wrefords Lodge Roade (172 entry). Just to confuse things there's also a George Mills residing at Hartous (near Wraysbury, nr Norbiton!)  ???

Do you think I should try for the certificate for the one at Eton, or try and look for other Mills of the same name registered in that time-frame?  Or in your experience do you think there is another path I could follow?

I'd be grateful for any advice you could give me!
Thanks.
Lorskreng.
Elliott - Essex, Blatchford - Devon, Mills - Buckinghamshire, Mills - Devon, Pankhurst - Kent, Marsh - Kent

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 January 05 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Lorskreng

Have you searched the complete GRO indexes for George's birth, or just the partial online index at FreeBMD & Ancestry?

If the latter, then you really need to search the complete indexes.  These are available at any LDS Family History Centre worldwide, and County Record Offices in the UK.  You can also search the complete indexes at 1837 online, on a pay to view basis.  http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/

Wolverton is in Pottersbury Reg District. 

As the only definite sighting of George is on the 1901, I would go with Wolverton until you are certain that there isn't a birth record for him there.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lorskreng

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 January 05 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rick.

I hold my hand up - it was on Ancestry and BMD.  I'll take a look at 1837.

Thank-you so much for your help.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Lorskreng :)