Author Topic: Eston Hills  (Read 20627 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Eston Hills
« on: Thursday 01 May 08 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Someone with a better memory than mine will be able to answer this. If you walked on the Eston Hills in the 1950s, the remains of an old mining village was still very much in evidence. I remember it being on the direct route across the hills between Wilton and Guisborough but I could be wrong on this. Was this just known as Barnaby Moor or did the village have its own name. Or, and here's a very real  possibility, have I just invented it?

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Eston Hills
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 May 08 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen.

No you didn't invent it.  Barnaby moor is still there!

Here's a good website, picture of the Nab and the old mine etc:

http://www.communigate.co.uk/ne/slaggyisland/page22.phtml

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 May 08 22:59 BST (UK) »
I knew you would have the answer! So it was just called Barnaby Moor then - I could have sworn there was another name for the settlement. One sunny day ( ha!), this summer, I am going to go up there and revisit my childhood haunts.

Thanks,

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 May 08 23:01 BST (UK) »
You'll have to cross the A174 Parkway now!

But as far as I remember when we used to walk up the hills from Normanby, to the Nab, then over the top - I thought that was Barnaby Moor - we came down again by the Cross Keys Pub on the Guisborough Road - so not as far over towards Wilton/Guisborough as you thought (I think!)

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 May 08 23:08 BST (UK) »
I think I could travel the Parkway with my eyes closed at the moment. I have been going back and forth from Kendal to Lazenby at least once a week, visiting my mother, who is eighty two and extremely ill.
Last week she was moved to the Stead Hospital in Redcar, which means that I now have school bus memories to add to my journey.

Jen

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 May 08 23:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear about your mother, hope the Stead staff are taking good care of her.  I know the feeling, our car used to know its way along the Parkway & back for the same reason, though I didn't have anything like as far to travel as you.   :-\

Maps of Eston Moor, Barnaby old mine etc here

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03c9/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/03ca/

Barbara  :)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 May 08 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links. I have just done some more hunting and think I have answered my own question. The settlement I am thinking of was known as Pit-Top and is included in Craig Hornby's guided walk across the Eston Hills.

I'm still going to go and look for myself as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Jen

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 May 08 02:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links. I have just done some more hunting and think I have answered my own question. The settlement I am thinking of was known as Pit-Top and is included in Craig Hornby's guided walk across the Eston Hills.

I'm still going to go and look for myself as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Jen

Hi Jen,

You have answered your own question,  :)

The pit was Upsall Pit.

Maybe best approached from the Cross Keys pub ? There is a footpath.

Not as steep as the Eston side and perhaps nearer.

Also: -

http://vr3.tees.ac.uk/heritage/anim_eston1large.htm

Best regards George
Scan at 300 plus for restores please. Scan at larger dpi for small photos. Don't forget to crop the scanner bed out! (Them's the white bits)
Please feel free to alter any work by me for the benefit of the Poster.

Linklater - Middlesbrough/Orkney/Shetland
Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 May 08 09:10 BST (UK) »
I always thought that's why the Cross Keys was there, George, to refresh the weary walker who'd come up over the moor from Eston way  ;D ;D  ;D

Barbara

p.s - good link! Have you seen Craig Hornby's film 'A Century in Stone'?