Author Topic: SNELL & MILLER South Australia  (Read 22186 times)

Offline jeenie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Snell & Miller South Australia
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 May 08 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, Livia.   And Others.

Jeenie's OH here.  Jeeni's gone to bed.

John Snell and Sarah Elizabeth nee Miller are Jeenie's ancestors too.

Not signing on that much any more, your posting has been mist until now.

John Snell and Sarah Elizabeth nee Miller are Jeenie's ancestors too, and have several pages of their descendaents, and ancestors, and can answer most questions, re lineage.  Unfortunately, for technical reasons, can't print out the most up to date, only photocopy from printout last May 06.  Perhaps you can pm Jeenie.

But your Volunteer helpers have provided info also that Jeenie does not have, and it is a happy circumstance.  (As an aside, pls refer to http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=290688.new;topicseen#new

.....dee has picked up that there are actually 2 x John Snell who have the same year of birth, the 1918 death is correct, as she says.  (refer prev para)

I wouldn't necessarily say that eg John Train's DoD as the 28th is necessarily a typing error.  Another ancestor Samuel Pearce' DoB is recorded in many places as 3 Nov 1824 (ie, obviously originally from his Tombstone, and carried on), but I have found his Baptism in 3 places in England as 3 Nov 1822, and looking closely at the Headstone, in Greens Plains Cemetary, it may be read as 1821! - which last matches his age on the 1841 census!  Also, Samuel's father is recorded on IGI as Andrew, when this should be Alexander!

Also after much searching, and after many many months, and using many wild cards, and variations, and rechecking BISA etc, trying much lateral thinking, we eventaully found mother Sarah Elizabeth's death of 23 May 1881 recorded under Saull!  Jeenie has the Death Certificate.  (John's too, and etc, etc.)

It is noted that her mother Ann's 28 May 1870 Death Certificate says age 77, (which possibly means 77th year), so, if correct, she was born in 1792 or 3, or 1794 - which "matches" the range from the 1841 census.  These details were provided by the daughter-in-Law, not the son [John] (although there was probably no family difficulties (?) because they had 16 children from 1857 [another John], regularly, ranging from every 11 months to start until 21 months in 1881, when she died, of puerperal fever.)

For us both, the Train family is unusual, inasmuch neither of us usually records more than the immediate family (usually just parents) of one who is not a blood relative, but marries one (ie, James Hay Train is not), but he arrived with his sister Mary and parents James and Agnes on the Epaminondas in 1852.  Mary subsequently married George Clifton whose daughter Agnes married Arthur Elliott Pearce, another blood relative of Jeenie's.

We both started investigating each our own family trees (mine are basically European and a couple of Irish, but Jeenie's are or were all UK, but both with numerous generations in SA), many many years ago, before internet, and well before computerized SA BDM records, in order to see who we are related to.

It used to be said that everyone in SA was related in one way or another, and RootsChat seems to be proving it.  Maybe as a futher suggestion, after reading the next postings I am going to put on before I eventually bed myself, perhaps you might like to pm Cando, and maybe .....dee also.

It is obvious that you have all put in considerable work to help Livia, so I was trying to complete, coming up 4 am, and post this before you all start again in the morning.

JOH.

Harvie -  Dunbartonshire 1864
Tait     -   Maybole 1858

Offline jeenie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 May 08 19:22 BST (UK) »
In 1841 John SNELL, Copper Miner, and his wife Ann and 3 of their children Elizabeth, Susan, and John, and their grandson Edwin Saunders SNELL, were living in Bodmin Cornwall.

According to records in the State Library, John SNELL and his wife and these 3 children emigrated to Tasmania on the Sir Charles Napier in 1843, and then to South Australia in 1845 on the Schooner Timbo, arriving 30 Aug.

John SNELL the son 22 married Sarah Elizabeth MILLER 18 from the Orkney Islands on 26 Mar 1856 in the Residence of the Revd John GARDNER Rundle St according to the Rites of the Free Presbyterian Church.

The SNELL ancestry in England has been determined with much complicated logic after obtaining all relevant, and irrelevant, documentation eg of births, and etc, names, census details, where people lived, and when, with whom, determining the relevant, and/by eliminating the irrelevant.

Farmer John, the father, died age 76 of “Old Age” at Mount Barker Springs 23Jan 1863.  His wife Ann died 28 May 1870 age 77 of Bronchitis, also at Mount Barker Springs.

Farmer John the son died age 84 of Morbus Cordis in the Adelaide Hospital 9 Jun 1918 after his wife Sarah Elizabeth died 23 May 1881 age 42 of Puerperal Fever in Greens Plains East. 

John and Sarah Elizabeth had 16 children in Mt Barker Creek/Mt Gambier/Mt Barker Springs, then Greens Plains/Cocoa Nut between 1856 and 1881 (including Ada Grace in 1869 who married Alexander Laurence PEARCE 30 Mar 1889 in Thomas Plains).

(It appears that at least 2 more of John and Ann’s children, Eliza Ann and Mary Ann, emigrated and married in South Australia as did their grandson Edwin Saunders SNELL, the son of their daughter Jane.)

Offline jeenie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 May 08 19:23 BST (UK) »
In 1851 Farmer John MILLER and his wife Euphemia were living with their 4 children Sarah, Jane, Barbra, and Robina at Rumbles OKI (Orkney Islands).

John MILLER, Agr Labourer, and his wife Euphemia and the 4 children emigrated on the Charlotte Jane from London & Plymouth 8 Oct 1851, arriving 14 Jan 1852.

We have a copy of their Marriage record from the Orkney Islands (very) north Scotland.

Apparently before their 19 Nov 1841 Marriage Euphemia had been a Straw Platter, living with her parents in Aicres OKI, and her father was a Fisherman.  John’s parentage is inconclusive.

You must remember that Scots differed from English in having several forms of Marriage;  the formal ceremony in Church was just one form legally accepted.  And apparently there were no resident clergy in the Orkney Islands, until infrequent visits.

Farmer John 74 died 17 Jan 1889 of “Senile Decay” at his Residence Lily St Goodwood, and Euphemia died 22 Oct 1865 age 51 of Heart Disease at Macclesfield Springs.

Their daughter Sarah Elizabeth married John SNELL, from Cornwall, 26 Mar 1856.

Offline jeenie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 May 08 19:31 BST (UK) »
Samuel (Isaac ? – the name appearing on one of his children’s birth records) PEARCE emigrated from London via Plymouth 17 Jun 1848 on the Santipore arriving 15 Oct 1848.

He married Elizabeth Sarah CHAPMAN 6 Aug 1851 in St Johns Church Adelaide.

His DOB of 3 Nov 1824 recorded from his Grave is apparently a furphy, and has successfully thrown everybody off the scent.  In 1841 he is recorded as being age 20.    His Baptism is recorded as 3 Nov 1822, parents Alexander and Honor (sic).

He is recorded in Illogen Cornwall as being a Copper Miner, and a miner at Kapunda before obtaining the Licence to an Hotel in Houghton and becoming a Wine Producer.

He is also recorded as a Contractor, and donated land in Houghton for the building of a Methodist Church.

Samuel and Elizabeth Sarah had 13 children between 1852 and 1873 in Houghton, including Alexander Laurence born 1861 who married Ada Grace SNELL 30 Mar 1889.  Arthur Elliott who married Agnes nee Clifton (refer the Train family) was Alexander Laurence' brother.

Farmer Samuel died Sunday 10 Aug 1884 age 60 (?) of Organic Disease of the spleen & kidneys at Thomas Plains, and Elizabeth died of Spasm of the heart or serious Apoplexy 16 Nov 1876 age 45 also at Thomas Plains, and they are buried at Greens Plains.

It appears Samuel’s father Alexander, another Farmer, was living with his wife Honor in Illogen Cornwall in 1851, and with his son (another) Alexander in 1861, so he died between 1861 and 1871, and his wife Honor died between 1851 and 1861.

(Samuel’s nephew (another) Samuel (also) died in a railway accident 3 Jul 1884, in Eng.)                 

Offline jeenie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 10 May 08 23:20 BST (UK) »
It is noted that Cando says she has traced Samuel's ancestry back to 1733.  You might like to ask her about that, Livia.

Offline livia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 May 08 02:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you all. This is a bit overwhelming, much more information than I had expected but I there seems to be enough to answer my questions. I will look at every detail closely over the next week or two and follow up the various suggestions. I am most grateful to everyone for prompt replies and for filling these gaps in our family tree.
Livia
Gilbertson (Burnley Lancs)
Maddison (Durham)
Snell (Cornwall)
Lamb (Nottinghamshire)
Simpson (Glasgow)
Topliss (Isle of Man)
Clonan (or Cloonan), Bennett (or Bent) (Westmeath Ireland)
all migrated to South Australia between 1836 and 1890s

Offline jeenie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 May 08 04:43 BST (UK) »
Although not seemingly adding much to Livia’s overall quest, the following may be thought of interest.

Augustus Frederick Skipworth came out with his wife Susan Johnson from Cornwall on the Baboo in 1840.  At least 4 of their children, including Eliza and Daniel, were born in South Australia.

Eliza married Philip Barbary and their daughter Beatrice Barbary married William Henry Pearce, 2nd youngest son of Samuel Pearce.

Daniel married Susan Barbary and their son Alfred Skipworth married Edith Eleanor Pearce, youngest daughter of Samuel Pearce.

So William Henry Pearce and Edith Eleanor Pearce were brother and sister of Alexander Lawrance Pearce and (see above) Arthur Elliott Pearce, 4 of the 13 children of Samuel Isaac Pearce – and their descendants are of course all related.

Although Jeenie is one, these descendants could be considered more remote and obscure to Livia’s overall quest.

It also appears that John Snell and Sarah Elizabeth had one, or two, more children, making the total 17, or 18.

There was Jessie Robina born 4 Jun 1876 at Cocoanut to John Snell and Sarah Elizabeth

and there was a William Sell born to John and Elizabeth 29 Apr 1855 at Para Plains.

But this last couldn’t be right.  Besides John and Sarah were not married until Mar 1856 when she was 18.

There is no record if Sarah Elizabeth ever went barefoot.

It is again stressed we only know details of lineage, of relationships, but not personal details of the Snell family in order to help Livia.

JOH.

Offline livia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 May 08 11:24 BST (UK) »
Some interesting snippets there, thank you. Another RootsChatter sent me a list of offspring which included Jessie Robina, but the speculation about 'Sell' is interesting. With that many children, perhaps many in the Snell family went barefoot.
Livia
Gilbertson (Burnley Lancs)
Maddison (Durham)
Snell (Cornwall)
Lamb (Nottinghamshire)
Simpson (Glasgow)
Topliss (Isle of Man)
Clonan (or Cloonan), Bennett (or Bent) (Westmeath Ireland)
all migrated to South Australia between 1836 and 1890s

Offline Dave and Barb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: W A Long South Australia
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 26 July 08 02:11 BST (UK) »
Jeenie       Like you were we are new to this. Computers, not the family tree bit. WE are direct descedants of William Augustus Long. earlier this month we loacated his arrival in Adelaide South Australia on the Moffatt, arriving 19 12 1839. If we are talking about the same W A Long would love to hear from you and provide you with more information.