Author Topic: Corlea, Drumlish  (Read 27103 times)

Offline Michael Heslin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Corlea, Drumlish
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 July 11 04:07 BST (UK) »
The name sounds familiar but let me reach out to an aunt who is down in Bantry now but stays in touch with people in the area.  My mother's maiden name was Reynolds.  My grandfather was Michael Francis Reynolds.  My father's family was in Ohill just on the other side of the bog.  His last name is Carolan. 
I'm wondering if my grandfather and your grandfather were colleagues during the War of Independence? My grandfather, Michael Francis Heslin was the Adjutant/Intelligence Officer of the Longford Brigade and I have just been reading the Witness Statement of Michael Francis Reynolds of Corlea, Longford and a fascinating historical document it is too? Just curious as I have recently been in contact with another grandchild of one of the 'old brigade' and am wondering if I have found one more.
Kind regards,
MJ Heslin ('Mik')
:-)

Offline runningmom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 July 11 17:45 BST (UK) »
Good morning, Mik,

Thank you so much for your note.  It just warmed the cockles of my heart. 

Yes, indeed that would be my grandfather, Michael Francis Reynolds who was an officer in the Longford Brigade as well.  He is considered a hero along with his brother-in-law, David Sheeran, in the Battle of Ballinalee. 

My family moved back to Ireland in the mid-1960s and I remember very well going to the pub after church on Sundays and my grandmother (Kathleen Reynolds) telling people we were her grandchildren.  They would always say, "oh, you are Michael Francis' grandchildren."  I didn't understand then but now I think back and am honored to be his grandchild as I am sure you are too being the grandchild of Michael Francis Heslin.  Do you have pictures?  I wonder if our grandfathers are in any photos together?  Also, I'd love to see the documents you referenced if you can point me in the direction of them. 

I have aunts who would be thrilled to know what you've shared with me.  All the best, Kathleen

Offline runningmom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 July 11 17:56 BST (UK) »
Here is a link the ambush my grandfather was involved in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonfin_Ambush

Also, his brother-in-law was Jim Sheeran.  David Sheeran was his son.   :)

Offline Michael Heslin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 July 11 18:14 BST (UK) »

I actually added the names of the combatants to this article! If you send me your email address, I'll send you a pdf copy of your grandfather's statement. Glad to meet you Kathleen and look forward to further chats about our roots. My email: *

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Michael Heslin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 July 11 18:32 BST (UK) »

I actually added the names of the combatants to this article! If you send me your email address, I'll send you a pdf copy of your grandfather's statement. Glad to meet you Kathleen and look forward to further chats about our roots. My email: *

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
My apologies. I didn't see a link to send a PM! Hopefully this third post will mean I can use the facility.  :-)

Offline Michael Heslin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 July 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
Good morning, Mik,

Thank you so much for your note.  It just warmed the cockles of my heart. 

Yes, indeed that would be my grandfather, Michael Francis Reynolds who was an officer in the Longford Brigade as well.  He is considered a hero along with his brother-in-law, David Sheeran, in the Battle of Ballinalee. 

My family moved back to Ireland in the mid-1960s and I remember very well going to the pub after church on Sundays and my grandmother (Kathleen Reynolds) telling people we were her grandchildren.  They would always say, "oh, you are Michael Francis' grandchildren."  I didn't understand then but now I think back and am honored to be his grandchild as I am sure you are too being the grandchild of Michael Francis Heslin.  Do you have pictures?  I wonder if our grandfathers are in any photos together?  Also, I'd love to see the documents you referenced if you can point me in the direction of them. 

I have aunts who would be thrilled to know what you've shared with me.  All the best, Kathleen
You'll find both of out grandfathers here: http://alturl.com/j3gn5

Offline runningmom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 July 11 18:59 BST (UK) »
Oh, it is a great picture.  You know, I think I've seen it before somewhere.  I know there are pictures of the whole brigade.  I'll need to find out who has them as I am not sure my mother had any, however, she did have pictures of her dad in uniform. 

Offline mo4536

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm new to this sort of thing so please excuse me. I'm fascinated in family trees especially mine. I'm 3 quarters Irish and the rest of me is English. I was Googling my Grandfathers name which was James Sheeran (known as Jim) who lived at Crieve and was married to Elizabeth. They had 3 children David, Margaret and Elizabeth (otherwise known as Pat who was my mum).
I would like to find out more about my grandparents/relatives but don't know how to go about it. As far as I know my aunt Margaret is the last surviving relative I have on my mums side apart from cousins who I've lost contact with over the many years.
Thank you for your help.

Offline mo4536

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm new to this sort of thing so please excuse me. I'm fascinated in family trees especially mine. I'm 3 quarters Irish and the rest of me is English. I was Googling my Grandfathers name which was James Sheeran (known as Jim) who lived at Crieve and was married to Elizabeth. They had 3 children David, Margaret and Elizabeth (otherwise known as Pat who was my mum).
I would like to find out more about my grandparents/relatives but don't know how to go about it. As far as I know my aunt Margaret is the last surviving relative I have on my mums side apart from cousins who I've lost contact with over the many years.
Thank you for your help.