Author Topic: 1891 lookup Please CARLTON  (Read 482 times)

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
1891 lookup Please CARLTON
« on: Wednesday 07 May 08 14:00 BST (UK) »
Could someone kindly have a look for Charles A Carlton a clerk or Customs Officer, known to be at Newhaven 1886, not there in '81. Nothing else known. Can anyone find him in '91? This ties in to my posting yesterday" 1891 look up Eaton". Carlton attempted to save Eaton and was awarded the RHS  Bronze medal 25/10/1886   Thanks Pete
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 lookup Please CARLTON
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 14:20 BST (UK) »
Do you have anthing else to help us, date of birth, place, etc?
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 14:42 BST (UK) »

Hi Pete

www.royalhumanesociety.org.uk

They have a history and record section on their website going back to 1774.

They might help you find him!
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 15:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks  both, nothing else is known about either of the men, Eaton wasn't local as the only 2 Sussex ones in 1881 were both alive in 1891. Carlton doesn't show in the 1881 in Sussex and none seem old enough nationally. I have checked the RHSsite and sod's law this is too early by 2 years for the on line citations and I'm not paying out £35 for a copy that might tell me nothing!!
The Times has details of the award but only that CAC (a clerk)was awarded a Bronze Medal for an attempted rescue at Newhaven 1/10/1886. The owner of the Medal believes he was a Customs Officer  but knows nothing more. P
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)