Author Topic: Benjamin Jones Michaelstone Super Avon - Birth/Christening 1870's  (Read 586 times)

Offline skeletonkeys

• RootsChat Member
  • I've become nuts on genealogy
    • View Profile
Benjamin Jones Michaelstone Super Avon - Birth/Christening 1870's
« on: Wednesday 07 May 08 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've been researching a Benajamin Jones born around 1874 in Michaelstone Super Avon (Cwmavon) and believed his parents were William and Margaret Jones. William was an engine driver and born around 1837-1840 in Carmarthenshire.

The census for 1881 has them residing at 20 Miners Row with another son John (17) and daughter Elizabeth (13), Benjamin is 7.  [The 1891 census has the parents still residing with Benjamn (17) and daughter Margaret].

I ordered what I thought was the correct birth certificate for Benjamin only to find  that the parents were listed as William Jones and Hannah Jones formally Isaac.  The occupation of the father was also Engine driver. This Benjamin was born on 13 April 1873 at 24 Tymaen Street, Michaelstone Super Avon.

Request:I would be very grateful if someone could look up the births/christenings in Michaelstone Super Avon for any Benjamin Jones around 1873/4. 

Note: I had wondered if his father might have remarried in the 10 years from 1871 census to 1881 but the children listed on various census records dont match that well. For instance one that I found with William Jones and wife Hannah have the children William, Mary, Martha and Elizabeth. Its conceivable all of the children bar Elizabeth may have left home by 1881 if William had remarried but Elizabeth's age in 1871 is 6 not 3. Still possible I suppose but I'd rather know if there are more Benjamin Jones's residing in the village born around 1873 so any help would be very welcome.

Walford - York, London,Stratford St Mary, Great Wilbraham
Cantle - Maesteg, Bitton, Keynsham
Hawker - Bradford Peverel, Mosterton,Thorncombe
Phillips & Rees - Pembrokeshire
Davies - Glamorganshire
Jones - Cwmavon
Hind & Lowe - Whitwell, Derbyshire
Sanderson - York
Leitch - Pittessie, Collessie,
McWilliam - Port Glasgow
Beck - Dumfries, Port Glasgow
Birkett - Collessie, Abdie

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Jones Michaelstone Super Avon - Birth/Christening 1870's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 16:20 BST (UK) »
If you do not get a reply.... I have used this look up exchange for this area and both Ron and Mary are very helpful.  scroll to Michaelstone

http://home.clara.net/daibevan/LookupExch/GLA.html

Hope this helps

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland