Author Topic: David Balharry - Scotland to Chile  (Read 17488 times)

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: David Balharry - Scotland to Chile
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 May 08 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi AMBLY   :)

I got no more than a mere couple of minutes, literally, talking with Chile last night.  The grandson still maintains that his grandfather was not born in Chile so I'm going to keep looking to see if I can maybe find his birth here, before David and Margaret left.  It turns out that my cousins have a portrait of David snr which in my opinion reasserts his presence in Chile.  Maria (my cousin) tells me that she's tried to research David jnr but as he 'was not born in Chile' they have no records  -  also, unfortunately this David is not going to make it easy for us -  he apparently was killed in an accident ......... at sea! 

I have tried every variation in spelling that I can think of for the 1841 census but just can't track them down.   That said, I also can't find any record of Adam's birth, but I really do think that if he was living with his Aunt (presumed) at the time of the cenus, it was because his parents weren't around.  If that's the case, I do wonder why the didn't take him with them.....

Have you any ideas on the likely route that would have been taken to get from Scotland to Chile? Hmm just had a thought, I wonder if they moved down south prior to leaving Britain, I didn't think to check census records other than Scotland...... sorry, I'm thinking aloud now!!  ;D  I hope I'm making my ponderings clear as it seems we are now talking about 2 different Davids!!

I assume that the northern region of Chile where the wine is grown is referred to as Burdeos since the wine originated from Burdeos, France, but I'll need to get more info from Maria I think.

Ok, off to check more records and watch the F1 racing at the same time...... think maybe I should make a pot of coffee first!

Lass x

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 May 08 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi again Lass,

Going back to basics ...

The only linked paper trail we have is (I think):

* a Benjamin Franklin BALHARRY, aged 21 (ie b ca 1849), born Chile, died in Montrose, Angus in May 1870, parents given as David BALHARRY (occupation not stated) & Margaret  JAFFREY; Benjamin had been boarding in the family of a schoolmaster in Forfar, Angus in 1861.

* a David BALHAREY & a Margaret JAFFREY married in Dundee, Angus in 1833.

(Of course, there might even have been two couples called David BALHARRY & Margaret JAFFREY - but I think that would be too much of a co-incidence!)

If at all possible, it would be good to find out whether the Chilean rells can research the birth of Benjamin in Chile ... and perhaps thus find out more about his parents?

Perhaps I've missed something but I don't recall that we've seen anything which definitely identifies David B & Margaret JAFFREY who m in Angus in 1833, to the David B who married Benigna Nunez in Chile and had children with her.

The baptism of a son, Jose David BALHARRY, to David B & Benigna in 1878 in San Isidro, Santiago, Chile is in the IGI - perhaps that actual record might reveal something (occupation of that David B, godparents, etc?).  I guess the film/fiche could be ordered in to your local LDS Family History centre.

I can't recall whether you've obtained the OPR entry for the marriage of David B & Margaret JAFFREY?  Probably no further clues but ...

JAP

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 May 08 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP

Yes, you are correct about the paper trail we have - so far  ;)

I have the OPR marriage for David Balharey and Margaret Jaffrey, m. 20/04/1855 Dundee
Margaret is detailed as the daughter of Tho. Jaffrey, Shoemaker

Stat Death of Benjamin Franklin Balharry d. 31/05/1870 aged 21 Montrose, Forfar.
Parents detailed as David Balharry & Margaret Jaffrey

1841 Census for Forfar, showing Benjamin Franklin Batharry aged 12, born in Chile.

1841 Census for Dundee, showing Adam Balhary, aged 7, born in Angus, living with Jean Jaffrey.

I really don't believe it's too much of a leap to assume these are all linked but I do wish I could find something more on David and Margaret.

I need to get Maria to try to research as you suggest JAP - this probably hasn't occurred to them because they've always assumed a generation further on. 

Re the 'link' between David and Margaret Jaffrey and the David who married Benigna Nunez - the only thing this is based on is the assertion from my cousin that 'her' David's mothers' maiden name was Jeffers or similar (she was unsure about spelling and of course it's probably contorted slightly over the years).  Again it is understood the father of David, who married Benigna, was also David.

I am aware of the IGI for Jose David Balharry, but frustrated by the fact that I can't trace any other records for baptisms prior to that, for Benjamin Franklin for example.

Is it just me or are all these Davids confusing????

Lass x

Note: I've just realised that, unlike the other entries on the same page as David and Margaret's marriage, there is no occupation noted for David.

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 May 08 14:50 BST (UK) »
I'm just thinking aloud now, and putting this in here in case I forget the thought!!

It's possible the David and his sister who are asserted to have arrived in Chile and started that line, actually were born in Scotland, but arrived in Chile with their parents.  If David B and Margaret Jaffrey were married in 1833 they had plenty time to have kids before their possible arrival in Chile in c.1850.  Although Adam (if connected) was born 1834, it is possibly more likely that their first child would have been named David (I know, huge assumption, but still....). 

Also, I'm wondering what happened to Adam - if he was still alive when Jean Jaffrey died about 6 years after he appears on the census with her - was he already dead, and if not, where did he go? 

Like I say, just setting my thoughts down, don't pay too much attention to my ramblings!!

Lass x

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 11 May 08 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again Lass,

Yes, I've still been mulling over it too  :D

It certainly would be good if the Chilean descendants could follow up on paper trails at their end.  Things are going back a fair way (1849 at least - Benjamin Franklin's estimated birthdate - in Chile).  Also, with all the various people called David etc it's quite possible that family stories are not absolutely correct, or that generations might have been mixed up - it's happened to nearly all of us!

I'm also wondering about British consular records and similar.  I'm sure I recall threads on RC where people found such records for births overseas.  Does the 1861 census image describe Benjamin as a British Subject?  If so, one would think there might have been a consular record.

Another thing that struck me is whether the Chilean descendants have found any Monumental Inscriptions which might include family information.

Similarly whether you have looked into MIs in Angus.  I've come across some in Fife where a family monument has had very useful information added to it re people who have died overseas.

JAP

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 May 08 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP

The 1861 census for Benjamin is the document that advises he was born in Chile so I'm not sure how much documentation would be availble to us via consular records, but it's worth the hunt!  I also didn't think about MI's although I'm not sure my ancestors had the money for that  ;)  Still, it's another avenue to check, so thank you for the suggestion  :)

I've just fired off an email to Maria outlining our latest belief that David jnr was not the first David over there and asking her to see what she can find on the Chile end.  I know that there's a fairly well-known burial monument in Chile that is connected to Rosa, the daughter of  David B and Benigna Nunez  - not yet sure whether it originated from Rosa's husband's family or not, but it's another clue for the cousins to check.

I've trawled the 1841 English census but can't find David and Margaret there either so I think I'll head back to the emigration passenger records for a while.  Or try to hunt down some more information on Adam...... or ....... or ........  ;D

Lass x

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 May 08 15:48 BST (UK) »
Just another quick comment re info given in earlier posts.

Margaret J who married in 1833 was recorded at her marriage as daughter of Thomas J, a Shoemaker

Jean J who died in 1846 was recorded at her marriage as daughter of Thomas J, a Farmer

JAP

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 May 08 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Lass and JAP

Me just thinking out loud too.....some scearios:
if David B and Margaret J married 1833 and if Adam was theirs  and if naming patterns were followed  -it might be that David's father would be Adam and so named the first born after him..... or that they had children quickly and Adam was the 2nd born named after Margaret's father. But then, it appears Margaret's father was Thomas the shoemaker*

Adam was theirs. but his first name was not Adam  (ie Adam was a to-name or middle-name)
Adam was hers but not his
Adam was theirs but born before marriage
Adam was Jean's son - but Jean is Margaret's sister and they both got involved with BALHARRY lads!
Jean is related to Margaret but not as sisters.

So, I would also searching for Adam as a J*FF*R*Y - JEFF*R*Y baptism / death.

Re the Chilean records - I would definitely try to find the name and location of any Church  where any earliest possible event was recorded.  And more about that accident at sea for David Jnr. - would there be a newspaper article about it, perhaps.

cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 11 May 08 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hellooooooooooo

Just when I was starting to be disheartened for the day, with no progress at all, I've found the following IGI records -

Christening 08/01/1878  Milton Bryant, Bedford, England

Rosa Eloisa Balharry

Parents David Balharry and Benigna Nunez

Christening 09/07/1878  Milton Bryant, Bedford, England

Jose David Balharry

Christening 14/07/1878  Milton Bryant, Bedford, England

Josefa Elena Balharry

;D   I was going to head over to SP but this is a christening record which of course won't be on there, dammit.  I'll see if English census might be able to shed more light, but I had to share!!   ;D ;D ;D

My 16 year old son has just asked me why I'm grinning at him like a fool!!!   ;D  Sorry, it's just the sense of victory, small though it may be - I know you all share that feeling, but I'm going to wallow in it for a wee while!

Lass x