Author Topic: Marion Calderwood  (Read 14141 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Marion Calderwood
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 April 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
Scottish birth certificates post early 1860s show date and place of parents' marriage under parents' names.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2oldscots

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 April 09 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra, All I know is  that on my father's [John Calderwood] Marriage Certificate in the column headed Name & Maiden Name of Mother, the name Marion Calderwood is entered, NO Father & NO Maiden Name.
My parents married 29/1/1943 & in the column of Name & Maiden Name of Mother entry states Marion Calderwood  Domestic Servant  Deceased. This would mean Marion died before 1943. When I realized there was no entry for my grandfather, I rang my cousin in Annan, [I live in Australia] I queried the entry on the Marriage Certificate. This was the reply. " My mother [Maisie] told me Marion  had three children & was never married. I don't know if the children had the same father, however the father to Marion [Maisie] was a William Sinclair. Don't know who fathered the other children. The topic was never discussed again." My cousin believed that her mother Maisie was very fond of her mother & never really got over the loss of her brother.

There is a genealogy society run by volunteers, which I have joined yesterday. As I live in a rural area I will only be making the trip weekly. If I find out any futher info I will certainly pass it on.
Kindest Regards Jim

Offline 2oldscots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 April 09 01:05 BST (UK) »
Jim again, just noted that your Marion passed away in 1963. My Marion was dead when my father married 1943. Do we share the same Marion? If not why do we appear to have the same ancestors?  ???

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 April 09 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

It appears that we are not related, which is a great shame as we could have taken some of the journey 'together'.

I can only suggest that the first stage of your research needs to be reviewed ie Marions parents from which all the rest stem.

If I can help in any way let me know

Sandra
Fenn from Denham Bucks and Honeywell from Downton Wilts

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 April 09 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hello again

I have just looked on Scotlands People and for 1893 to 1897 there were only 4 Marion Calderwoods born, one in Dunbarton (My one), one in West Calder, one in Stevenston, Ayr and one in Paisley.

It is a remote possibility that we have the same Marion and that she had three children out of wedlock and then married later, but from what you say she seemed to have brought the children up herself and not 'dumped' them when she married. This seems to have happened a lot in the past, and did in fact happen to my Maternal Gran, she was brought up by her Gran when her mother remarried.

It is a pity that there are no census records etc to help us, my Nan married in 1922 and was listed as a spinster. I think you have a different Marion Calderwood, and another distinct possibility is that her middle name was Marion and that her first name is not used by anyone in the family.

Again I had this on mothers side she insisted on an Aunt Lydia and Aunt Eve who turned out to be Florence Lydia and Laura Eveline, they had been listed by their formal names in all documents - difficult to trace, so I had to literally search every birth index listing for the appropriate age range til I found them and then verified with birth certs.

Sandra

Offline 2oldscots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 April 09 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra, My Marion had no middle name. Statutory Births 496/00 0460 states
Name and Surname    Marion Calderwood   
When & Where Born  September Second [looks like]  maybe 4.15 pm ?   
Name,  Surname & Rank or Profession of Father   James Calderwood    Hairdresser     
Name & Maiden Name of Mother   Margaret Calderwood m.s McGill
Date & Place of Marriage 1875 June  20 1/2 [Age of Bride] Kilmarnoch.
It is sad there is no connection as I am the last of the Calderwood's
Kindest regards Jim

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 April 09 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

Have you tried searching for a death of a Marion Calderwood pre 1943? The only ones I am seeing so far all seem to have a second name which would imply a marriage. The only marriage I am seeing in Dunbartonshire is that of Sandra's Marion to Alexander Smith in Milngavie.

Were James, John and Marion all born in Dumbarton? I can see Marion's, daughter, there in 1916.

Sandra, have you got any addresses for your family around this period to let you compare addresses from the birth certs?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 April 09 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi both

The birth cert details that Jim has are definately for my Marion Calderwood, her children after marriage to Alexander were:

Alexander (after his father and grandfather), Agnes Gray (after fathers mother) Robert Bruce (my father no idea where his names came from) James Calderwood Vincent (after Marions father) and Margaret McGill (after marions mother).

I really believe Jim that you are mistaken in that Marion Calderwood born 2/9/1894 is also your grandmother.

My Uncle Sandy remembers tales of his grandfather James working near the docks in Glasgow, and his family moving to England in the late 1920's.

Regretably only my Uncle (aged 83) and I are interested in the family tree and at presen he is not well enough to discuss it in any great detail, he is still in touch with relatives in Milngavie

Sandra

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 April 09 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

this has all set me off looking at Scottish ancestry and I have another Marion Calderwood in my tree she was the daughter of John Calderwood and Lilian/s Cuthbertson she was born 13/06/1869, and would have been aged 40 odd when Jims Uncle was born.

I have no more information on her

Sandra