Author Topic: Question Re Birth Entry Prior to 1837  (Read 2806 times)

Offline atth2o

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Question Re Birth Entry Prior to 1837
« on: Friday 09 May 08 00:46 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of a birth entry from Gillingham in 1815.  My question is:  If twins are born, do they each have a line in the entry log?

Or

Do they write something like "Charlotte & Maria" and have two births written in one line?

The reason I ask is that I have not been able to find any information on "Maria", yet I have found that Charlotte's middle name is Maria in the marriage register on FreeBMD.

If I examine the birth registration, it looks like the curate started to write a "D" for daughter under Charlotte but didn't quite finish the "D".  Maria is then written below this "D".

Charlotte
(D or &)
Maria

What is your opinion?  Am I tracing a child that probably didn't exist?

Thanks,

Nancy 
Attwater - Kent & London England (All spelling variations)
Goodwin - Kent & London England
Cronin - Ontario & Ireland
Clancy - Peter Robinson Expedition - Ontario, Canada & Rockmills, Cork, Ireland
Kenneally - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Redmond - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Shepley - Ontario, Canada & Lancashire, England

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Question Re Birth Entry Prior to 1837
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 May 08 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Nancy,

Would you like to post a pic of that part of the entry?

I have seen twin baptisms entered both ways, but maybe it's just a mistake after her first name, then her middle name

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 May 08 07:49 BST (UK) »
I, too, have seen baptisms of twins entered both ways in the register.

Assuming it is this entry, first impressions would be that it is two children ie. Charlotte & Maria http://www.rootschat.com/links/03dz/

I wonder if it's a mistake in the register if Charlotte later had the second name of Maria :-\

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 May 08 09:26 BST (UK) »
That's great, and to me definitely looks like their way of writing &, going by the way they've entered all the parents' names on the same page, George & Sophia, etc., so I'd agree with Casalguidi, definitely looks like two children, pity a note wasn't made, and no birth date given.

Just thought, two children could have been baptised on the same day, not necessarily twins, I've seen several instances of whole families being baptised together, all different ages. 

I'd still keep looking for an early death for Maria, maybe Charlotte later took her name in memory of her  :-\

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline atth2o

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 May 08 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Again,

Wow, casalguidi, you are good!  Yes, that is indeed the birth entry under Goodwin.

Other children born before and after these two twins are too close to be another birth, so they would be twins if there is two of them.  I shall continue to keep Maria active based on all of your replies.

Thank you for your opinions,

Nancy
Attwater - Kent & London England (All spelling variations)
Goodwin - Kent & London England
Cronin - Ontario & Ireland
Clancy - Peter Robinson Expedition - Ontario, Canada & Rockmills, Cork, Ireland
Kenneally - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Redmond - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Shepley - Ontario, Canada & Lancashire, England