Author Topic: changing surname  (Read 4834 times)

Offline Helen1955

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: changing surname
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 July 08 17:57 BST (UK) »
Well, all the children born before they married were registered with the surname Croxall and all those after with the surname Cross.

Except Walter! and although I have searched through all the indexes on Ancestory and indeed the FHC when it was open, I cannot find him listed as either Croxall or Cross and what is more I can't find any name that comes even close. That includes buying certificates for any that I thought likely.

It looks like Walter Croxall/ Cross born 1886 is going to be my brickwall. So, he can go on the backburner for now as he is a sibling of my great grandfather and I will concentrate on other family members.

Helen
Crow - Redditch/Tardebigge Worcs
Cross - Redditch/Ipsley Worcs and Winsham, Somerset.
Croxall - Redditch/Walton-on-Trent, Staffordshire/Derbyshire
Walford - Norton juxta Kempsey, Worcs
Johnson - Redditch Worcs
Smith - Oxfordshire/Studley Warks
Woodyatt - Hereford/Gloucester/Birmingham
Porter - Birmingham
Washbrook/Washbourne - Spernal/Studley/Warwickshire(Catholics)
Ancorn/Ankorn - Spernal/Haslor Warwickshire

Offline GEORGE SAINT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 July 08 18:10 BST (UK) »
well Ellen hes not going any where you can always dig him up later ;D once they decide to bury :P them selfs,  there hard to find. its like someone as spirited away there records ;) they some times pop up like a skeleton in a cupboard when you least expect it
perry, tolson, stable(s), hendley,ashburner,woollands, guest,humphreys

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 July 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
It might be worth taking a look at
It is also possible that he was "adopted/fostered " by your family and was actually another family's child.

It might be worth having a look at any young unmarried female siblings of Maria's - it may be that her 'son' Walter was her nephew perhaps  ...... my great grandmother had several children.  This increased by one when she officially adopted her daughters' daughter.  If I recall correctly, the child's surname was that of the absent father, rather than the unmarried name of her mother.  Just a thought, this sort of thing keeps us guessing :D

Lass x

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 07:59 BST (UK) »
I  have to agrre that it is necessary to work outside the square when you come to a dead end.

One fellow researcher thought he had dotted all his "i"s and crossed all his "t"s documenting his grand parents family, their lives, children etc, the whole catastrophe.  Many years of work documenting events, photographing graves etc. He eventually published his results and distributed them among his family.

Several years later, his son travelled from Australia to the village that the family had emigrated from to photogrph the family graves for his father. He found his greatgrandparents grave and all the details matched the information gathered years before  EXCEPT:

There was ONE EXTRA CHILD listed in the names of the children!!!!!!!

Definintely not recorded in parish records ore GRO!!! He is still trying to work out where this EXTRA came from and what happened to him.

Strange things happen.

regards

Robyn in Australia
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline Gary Croxall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi helen1955

Could you please help with some details on all of Maria's children. I read in your post you have the info on all 11 but not Walter.  I know my Frank was born in 1885 http://www.ritter.demon.co.uk/Genealogy/wga18.html#I3674