Author Topic: Public House - Clay Way, Newnham  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Public House - Clay Way, Newnham
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 July 08 19:43 BST (UK) »
CB 1964,
Rather puzzled by this thread...I see that your ancestor was married in Ely - there is a Newnham Street there, and at one time, in Edwardian times there were as many as 70 pubs or drinking places in the city.  Unbelievable, but true.  There used to be a pub called The Woolpack in Newnham Street - you can still see the impression of where its gable end used to be on the adjoining building.
There's also a Clay STREET in Soham, which is about 6 miles from Ely.  The only pub I know about in Newnham is the Golden Lion, I think.
Probably none of this rambling is of any use to you whatsoever, but thought I'd put a pennyworth of local knowledge into the mix...!
keith
And whoopee! just become a Marquessate with this post - does this entitle me to free seats at the men's final at Wimbledon Centre Court tomorrow!

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 July 08 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Keith.
A fascinating insight into Ely in years gone by - 700 drinking places!!! An awful lot considering how big it is.
Many congratulations on becoming a Marquessate, too.
Paulene :)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 July 08 23:21 BST (UK) »
Paulene,
I'm sure I mentioned only seventy rather than seven hundred watering holes!  Actually, on the same level, it doesn't feel like 3000 posts since I started on here nearly 4 years ago, more like 300...
The reason I remember about the pubs is that I did a lot of local research about it when I was teaching in Ely before I designed a walkabout with map and notes for my class of primary school children based on Ely public meeting places (including a few chapels, I might add), on what Ely had been like 80 years previously.  An awful number of those buildings which had been pubs were still standing as private homes or businesses.
Hope you don't feel we've stolen your thread, CB 1964, but perhaps there might be something in the possibility of a pub in Newnham Street, Ely, and your ancestor being the landlord there for a while...
Regards,
keith

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 July 08 23:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Keith - read the thread and answered some messages in between - the image that stuck in  my mind was that there were a lot for it's size, but obviously got carried away :-[
I remember that when I moved to my own village I was surprised at how many there were here - and not that many decades ago either.
The school trip sounds as if it was very interesting, Keith.
Paulene :)

Offline cb1964

• RootsChat Member
  • My GGGGG GF would have been a City fan....probably
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 July 08 10:18 BST (UK) »
No problem with hijacking my thread at all  ;D

Thanks for the insight.

Regards

CB1964

p.s. Congrats on becoming a Marquessate. I need to make one or two more posts to join you.  ;)
<b>Burfoot</b> - Gloucestershire (Bristol & Randwick)
<b>Selwood</b> - Gloucestershire (Bristol)
<b>Sharpe</b> - Gloucestershire (Bristol); Cambridgeshire (Ely); Suffolk (Wickhambrook)

Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 July 08 11:45 BST (UK) »
cb1964,
I've probably been not much help this time with your query, but do PM me if you think there might be something I could quickly look up for you next time I'm up at the Cambs County Record Office...
Regards,
keith