Author Topic: Anyone up for a Cork family challenge?  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Shalena

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Anyone up for a Cork family challenge?
« on: Saturday 10 May 08 22:17 BST (UK) »
Massive help needed with our brick wall please!

We have been trying to find details of our Grandfather and his family that was withheld from my Mother and her siblings after he left the family when they were young.  With so little detail/knowledge known it is proving impossible for us relative beginners.  Add to that the challenge of it being hard work, if not impossible, to get much from Southern Ireland and it is obvious we need help!  I'll give you what little we know:-

Grandfathers name - John Carroll, born 17th May 1893, this could be either in County Cork or Liverpool.
Parents names - Timothy Carroll and Mary (no other details known) both, as far as we are aware, born in County Cork.
Known siblings - Henry/Harry, James, Matthew and Julia, although there were probably more.

Mother recalls that the family left Cork for Liverpool (no dates known and we found nothing on censuses that match) from there they moved to Bermondsey, London and finally to Bronson Road, Raynes Park, London, SW20 in about 1912/13.  This is where we pick them up.

John married Helen Murray and after a few years left to reside again at Bronson Road.  We have not found any divorce for them.  He died in 1955.

As far as we are aware the family were not Catholic, they were never known to practice anyway, and his children were brought up CofE.

I did locate a family of the same name living in the same area of Raynes Park but on contact with them they had no idea there was a family with the same name living a few streets away!  Also other contacts I have had with 'Carroll's' all end up not knowing 'ours'.

Should anyone be able to dig up any information about John and/or his parents that we have failed to do we would be most grateful.

Regards, Shalena
Brookes - Rotherfield. Carroll - Cork S.Ireland. Campbell - Dornoch. Cunnison - Moulin,Perthshire.  Forbes - Moulin. MacKay - Sutherland,Scotland. MacGregor - Inverness. MacIntosh - Dornoch.    Mew - Buxted,East Sussex. Monro - Sutherland. Murray - Creich,
Sutherland.  Pollard - Buxted, East Sussex. Priestley - Newington.  Reid - Logierait,Perthshire. Ross - Dornoch.  Sayers - Warnham,
East Sussex. Scot - Logierait,Perthshire. Weaver - East Sussex.

Offline Shalena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone up for a Cork family challenge?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 May 08 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for responding George.

If my investigations don't pan out then I will certainly look at the site you recommended.

Regards

Shalena
Brookes - Rotherfield. Carroll - Cork S.Ireland. Campbell - Dornoch. Cunnison - Moulin,Perthshire.  Forbes - Moulin. MacKay - Sutherland,Scotland. MacGregor - Inverness. MacIntosh - Dornoch.    Mew - Buxted,East Sussex. Monro - Sutherland. Murray - Creich,
Sutherland.  Pollard - Buxted, East Sussex. Priestley - Newington.  Reid - Logierait,Perthshire. Ross - Dornoch.  Sayers - Warnham,

Offline BashfulGoldilocks

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Shalena, I hope you get this message ok as I have problems finding my way around this site  ??? and Ive not used it in this way before.  I have only answered emails sent to me before ie: .......  from Clematised (Edna) etc so here's fingers crossed .

My name is Joy and you can email me on mail address removed - please use the secure Rootschat personal message system to exchange personal email addresses - thankyou for a chat if you would like to.  I dont get onto the computer very much in the daytime, just dip in and out as time allows and most evenings I have a little look, depending on time, energy and availabitily, then I get to use this machine! 

I grew up in Bristol living in the Knowle area near Redcatch Park untill my early teens and then moved away.   I started off as a hairdresser and now I am an artist and potter/sculptor and live on the edge of the Quantocks in Somerset.  Did you use to live in Bristol or just your family?

I read a little of your 'sightings' from people that have passed on and I am facinated.  Unfortunately nothing like that has happend to me but I have met people before that have enlightend me to things that are not always easily explained.

I am away most of tomorrow but I do hope you reply and I will get back to you sometime.  look forward to meeting you so much.  Joy (Goldi)
Powell, Curral,   London, Lonnon,  Hubbard, Harris, Haynes, Herbert, Petifer,Boswell, Stratham All Warwickshire
Pottinger, Harraway, Dance, Tuxford,  All Berkshire

Offline Brookswood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 January 13 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I am also interested in a connection to the Murray family name.  There are many gaps in my family history there.  What I do know is that my Grandfather's name was James Murray, which is why I am responding to your information.  James was a Guard (Sargent I think) for the Irish Army on Spike Island, he had 3 sons, Tony, Brendan and Patrick (my father born 1938).  They lived in a small house on the south sided of Co. Cork.  I visited the site once, the represented that of a gate house to a large estate when I was there in 1989.
James married Hannah Jo McCarthy (I think this was her maiden name), I will confirm soon.  She was known as Jo, she took her 2 sons (Tony and Patrick) and moved to England, not sure what came of James, but Brendan joined the Navy and died when the ship went down, is what I am told.
They moved to Western Canada in the late 1950s.
I would love to know if James has any connection to your family tree.  Please let me know if any of the information that I have given you sounds familiar.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 13 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brookswood and welcome to RootsChat

Shalena hasn't been active on the boards since last July.
So hope that she has her 'notifications' turned on, to know that you are interested in her posts.

You won't be able to send her a private message until you have at least 3 posts, so you need to respond to this and then maybe do a third post with another snippet of information you may have.  OK?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Shalena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 January 13 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brookswood,

Thanks for getting in touch, but on looking through the information that I have regarding this family line it does not seem that your people are related to ours.

Good luck with your research.
Shalena

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 January 13 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Regarding your original post,the following shows up as the only birth in Cork 1893 on FindMyPast,do you have this now.

John Carroll  Birth Cork District 1893.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shalena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 January 13 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you for the notification Brionne.

I did not have this information as I was researching a different strand of our family lines, having left the Carroll's for the time being as rather difficult with the very limited info; we had and the common names!

Will take a look to see if relevant.

Shalena

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 February 13 00:12 GMT (UK) »
There's a tree on Ancestry have you seen it? Is it yours or someone you know? It has John born in Bermondsey, London on 17 May 1893.

Blue