Author Topic: Brains needed !  (Read 6505 times)

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Brains needed !
« on: Tuesday 18 January 05 18:12 GMT (UK) »
William Ingram Croft m. Rebecca Solomon 24.12.1859 Boston, on his marriage cert it states his father as being Ingram Croft, hairdresser, deceased, I have William Ingram and Rebecca on the 1861/71/81/91Censuses...............
BUT on the 185 Census there was:-

Mary Croft            Wid    66                          b. Scramblsby
William Ingram     Gson  15 Engine Cleaner b. Boston
John Greenfield    Uncle  77  Wid    form. Sheep salesman
                                                          b. Altram ? Lincs

Now here the brains are needed........
Is William Ingram Croft really William Ingram son of  Mary's  married daughter and if so where does the surname Croft come from?  or    was he an orphan and Mary brought him up and he took her name      or   my favourite    ALIENS DROPPED HIM OFF IN BOSTON  ( and I wish they had picked him up again!)
help needed to sort this out...my brain is dead
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline Catswhiskers

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Brains needed !
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 January 05 17:23 GMT (UK) »

WILLIAM INGRAM 
Marriages:
  Spouse:  MARY WHILEY   
  Marriage:  20 AUG 1824   Boston, Lincoln, England

William died we know that  Did Mary marry again and tthat's where the Croft comes from. Can't find Ingram on the NBI but there aren't many after 1850  When did she start calling herself Croft?  Give me a few daes to work to and I'll try and find if there's a marriage death or whatever

Adams,Bownes, Brown, Law,Linley,Pickering,Sedman,Suckley

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 January 05 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, using logic....(which is sometimes in short supply!!) on the 1841 and 1851 censuses William is named as Ingram but living with his Grandfather and grandmother John and Mary Croft. Surely that means that his mother would have had to be John and Mary's daughter who married an Ingram. But her surname at marriage would have been Croft.
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 January 05 17:40 GMT (UK) »
The strange bit is, how come William Ingram Croft ( as he is named on his marriage cert and 1861 and 1871 censuses) named his father as Ingram Croft, hairdresser, deceased.?

Offline Catswhiskers

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 January 05 18:20 GMT (UK) »
First, all the info an marriage certs insn't alweays correct. I spent a year trying to find my grandmother's birth  because the surname was mispelled on her marriage certificate and that was in 1906.

Too ecxited and stressed at the wedding, had a few before hand, vicar had a few beforehand, clerk transcriing to the GRO had a few,tired or doing it on the Monday after Christmas?

Mother Ingram not married and child brought up by grandparents and adds their name to cover it, happened in my family that has) Bastardy was a stigma in those days.

Interestingly enough, there are no Wileys in Scambleby but lots of Crofts.

It's all getting vry confusing nd I think  I need a lie down

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 January 05 18:27 GMT (UK) »
You and me, both !

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 January 05 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Further to my original posting, after sorting through numerous bits of paper, I have found a marriage that I wrote down when I last went to Lincs Archives

Maria Croft to Joseph Ingram  17.9.1835 St Boltolph, Boston

any ideas on how to find out whether Maria Croft was the daughter of John and Mary Croft (William Ingram's Grandparents) ?

Offline Catswhiskers

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 January 05 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Looks Like it

MARY CROFT 

Christening:  18 OCT 1820   Boston, Lincoln, England

Parents:
  Father:  JOHN CROFT  Family
  Mother:  MARY 

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 January 05 18:53 GMT (UK) »
I have this one, but if Mary is Maria she would have only been 15yrs of age if she had married Joseph Ingram