Author Topic: missing father  (Read 2923 times)

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
missing father
« on: Thursday 15 May 08 10:57 BST (UK) »
hi

i have a birth cert of a mary strickland (deceased) born 1921 and her mother on cert is Ellen Strickland and no father.  obviously there is no way i can find the father but i am trying to find the mother.
I have found an ellen strickland born 1898 in blackpool, fylde which is the right location and i don't think any of the other are either the right age or place.

I have found this ellen on 1901 census with her family.

does anyone agree that this sounds right and how can i clarify it is the right person?

any advice would be appreciated.
regards
sara

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: missing father
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 May 08 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sara

Whilst it may be the correct one, I would look  a bit deeper.

You should have a residential address on the birth certificate so you could check a Kelly's (or similar) Directory for the occupier about that time, also check the Electoral Roll. With a bit of luck it will be the family home.
Do you have Mary's marriage certificate? If so, who has she named as her father?  If you can track down a marriage for Ellen then you could check her fathers name against the 1901 census.

Andy

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 May 08 12:18 BST (UK) »
Sara,

Andy has some good suggestions.

It might also be worthwhile to try to find a baptismal record for Mary in case it gives any clues about Ellen.  You could check the records forward for any other children of the same mother (it would be helpful if you first checked for a later possible marriage date and location for Ellen).

I would be wary of relying on information from Mary's marriage certificate (if she married).  If she was illegitimate, she might have made up a father's name, and that would only confuse matters.  Just something to keep in mind.  One of my husband's ancestors was illegitimate.  Her stepfather's name was given as her father's with her own surname appended to his.  Luckily, I was able to track them in the census and figure it out (with the help of a Rootschatter).

If Mary was born in a hospital for unwed mothers or if she was given up for adoption, you could find out if the place has kept its records and if/how you can access them.

The local library, archives or family history society might be a good place to inquire.  They might have marriage and/or death indexes for the area that they could check for you.  They could also tell you what other resources are available (school records, for example).

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 May 08 16:18 BST (UK) »
thanks Andy and Josephine for your replies,  they have certainly given me more to think about.

Mary was adopted and therefore married under her adopted name, and hence her father was her adopted father.  I also think (hearsay) that she was not adopted until age 8.

I will check electoral rolls.  The address on Mary's birth cert is Ward Street Blackpool which is only a couple of miles from Wildman street where the 1901 family i suspect to be the correct one were living. 

thanks
sara

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 May 08 18:49 BST (UK) »
could anyone put a link on here where i can look at the electoral roll for 1921?

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 May 08 19:11 BST (UK) »
Won't be online.  Personal visit to a local (to the event) library would be necessary.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 May 08 23:13 BST (UK) »
You're welcome, Sara.   :)

Check this out:

http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Services/G-L/LibrariesLocalandFamilyHistory/Home.htm

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 May 08 18:19 BST (UK) »
thanks very much,
i will keep on searching...... ;D