Author Topic: My ancestors living in Woodsville, Blackfordby  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Carino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
My ancestors living in Woodsville, Blackfordby
« on: Friday 16 May 08 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I'm after a bit of knowledge on the above area,  my ancestor Caroline Midden ( surname maybe wrong as siblings have different variations )  was born there in 18 Feb 1881,  her mothers name was Elizabeth Ellison and the father was called Arthur, he was a Railway Labourer,  not knowing the area personally  could anyone tell me a bit about the place and if there was a railway line near by that was being built at that time,  would there be any records that are kept that I may search for my ancestor,  just to confirm the spelling of his name.

Any help given will be brilliant.

Thank you

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: My ancestors living in Woodsville, Blackfordby
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 May 08 11:03 BST (UK) »
Have you located Caroline on the 1881 / 91 and 1901 census ?

PS. Whats the source of Elizabeths maiden name ? Cant see a marraige Ellison to an Arthur X as yet !
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 May 08 11:10 BST (UK) »
1881 - RG11; Piece: 3138; Folio: 13; Page: 20 - Blackfordby parish
Thorne Street, Woodville

Arthur Maden 31  Head Clay Miner born Dorchester, Dorset
Elizabeth Maden 26  Wife Lancs, Wigan
William Maden 7  son York
Elizabeth Maden 5  dau Leics, Ashby Z
Robert Maden 3  son Rutland, Oakham
Caroline Maden    dau  Ashby DelaZouche

William Wilbed 20  Boarder Clay Miner
Frederick Brittain 19  do
John Chappe 25  do
Robinson Crosue 30  do

Offline Carino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 May 08 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Newfster,

Thank you for replying to my e-mail,   I have the 1881 census  and they state their surname is Maden.

On their first son's birth certificate up in Settle, York,  1874 their surname was Maden, again it is Maden on Robert's certificate in Rutland then on Caroline's it is Midden and  on their last daughter's  Jane who is not in the 1881 census is Meyden,  by the time of the 1891 census they are living in Lower Coity Bridgend South Wales and are now going by Maiden,  Arthur the father is no where to be found  and he is still alive as he dies in 1893.

I haven't got the daughter Elizabeth's birth certificate just yet,  but there is one born about this time in Melton M 1876 under Elizabeth E Maiden.

I know this family moved around a lot and I can't seam to find a fixed family for them,  even though I have their places of living at the time of the certificates but I don't know where when it comes to the census,  so I am hoping that the information on Caroline's  certificate may help me find out who these really are.

I know going by the certificates and the census in 1881 Arthur occupation was also a Miner,  I have  a marriage certificate for him but again I'm not 100% sure if it is the right one as the surname is different,  Arthur Needham of full age  & Elizabeth Ellison age 18  were married  30th Nov 1873 Chapel le Dale, York,  the parents names were George Needham Labourer and Richard Ellison Labourer  both living and I can't make out the place.  Bleamoor Tunnel,  but  I don't know.

Thank you in responding.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 May 08 11:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, saw all the Ellison marriages, but as I couldnt match an Arthur, I erred on the side of asking how you knew Elizbeths Maiden name - I assume the birth Certs you do have confirm it as Ellison ?

Have you sought Arthur in Dorchester under 'Needham' ?

Offline Carino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 May 08 11:47 BST (UK) »
The name Ellison was on all the birth certificates  but there is a spanner in the works here,  Arthur Maiden dies in 1893 Maesteg, South Wales,  a few months later Elizabeth remarries to a Patrick Clark,  both husbands were Sinkers and lived near one another,  but on her marriage certificate Elizabeth's father is now called William Thompson,  strange !  but it is the same Elizabeth as in 1901 this copuple is now living in 13 Gertrude Street, Abercynon,  near MOuntain Ash  and even though I can't find the children in the census a few years later on their marriage certifictes,  one of the daughter is living in the same house while the other lives two doors away,  I havent been able to figure this one out.

Arthur Needham's marriage to Elizabeth Elison  was the closet I could fine,  they were married in Settle  1873  and one year later their son Arthur William now known as Maden  was born in Settle in 1874.

Needham  is the closet I can get to what may sound like the variations of Maiden, Meaden and so on.

I have looked for Arthur's birth in 1850 in Dorset but it is proving difficulty to find,  as I don't have an actual name as it changes so much.

Thank you

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 May 08 12:05 BST (UK) »
an interesting one !

Elizabeth states she was born in Wigan, and indeed in 1871, a likely lass is in Service there - so I guess the domestic market took her across to York 2 years later.

I've really had a good tinker around with Arthur's in Dorset, to no avail - the later years sound even more complex !

Good luck with that !
 :)

Offline Carino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 May 08 12:33 BST (UK) »
That is intersting to find Elizabeth in service,  I will take a look at the census see if I can find her,  would she be under Ellison or Thompson ?

Thank you  I need all the luck on this one as I have spent a long time trying to find them.  Hopefully  I will get to the bottom of this.

Thank you

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 May 08 12:37 BST (UK) »
Ellison ....

but I see in 1901 she states Barrow in Furness !