Author Topic: Military Tribute Book - Two Brothers  (Read 13405 times)

Offline miskimmin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Military Tribute Book - Two Brothers
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 July 09 20:27 BST (UK) »
Ah yes! got it thanks!

I do hope they get in contact soon, I've only brushed the tip of the iceburg on this data.
Not being able to speak french, i'm struggling a bit!

thanks and fingers crossed  :)

Offline IanandArthur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 July 09 21:49 BST (UK) »
Dear All
Re Lt Ian Scott Thomson.
2nd batallion
Royal Scots Fusiliers

I am the relative with The Military Tribute books (thanks again Sue!).
The bulk of the book is made up of personal letters of condolence to my great grandparents(his parents).
I have found one reference to a withdrawl to the Comines-Ypres canal and to a farm nearby.It is contained in a letter explaining how thay think he died along with many others. What is the surname of your Grandfather? Some other names are mentioned in the letter.

Regards,
IanandArthur

Offline miskimmin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 July 09 08:21 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

My grandfather's name was Miskimmin. He was only a Fusilier, so was probably not mentioned in the letter, but I'd love to read that part of the it.

I've tried to type up some of the document, so if you speak french, here's a little extract...

Vers une heure du matin, un bruit effroyable; dans la nuit crachant des flames des montres ont surgi. Les Allemands se rapetissent, s’aplatissent, se confondent avec le sol, ne bougent plus, reardent passer cette vision de l’enfer. Ils devalent sur la pelouse, reviennent, remontent en direction de la grande avenue. Aucune lueur de balles ou de grenades ne salue leur passage. Le Palingbeek, comme frappe de stupeur et d’impuissance, s’est petrifie. A l’entree de la grande avenue, les monsters se sont arêtes. Thomson, le lieutenant en premier la pipe a la bouche leur expose flegmatique ce qu’ils n’ont pas vu, puis il leur demande d’aller porter des munitions dans le bois de l’ossuaire ou la section pourrait en manqué. Pour l’instant, il n’a rien d’autre a leur demander, mais demain on ne sera jamais trop forts. Les chars (des chenillettes) reviendront; ils le promettent et a travers le parc, s’en retournent caracolant, crachant au hazard leurs balles de mitrailleuses.

Anybody able to translate for me?

My father and I go back to the farmstead (now a golf course) every year and visit the 2 RSF's graves Hill 60 and the canal location.

The regiment's records were destroyed in a fire and the diaries were captured and never recovered. So any information is so valuable in recording this action.

all the best

Iain

Offline miskimmin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 16:13 BST (UK) »
I have more references to Lt. Thomson if you want to get back to me....

Offline IanandArthur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 13 August 09 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi again
Sorry not to get back to you sooner. Children and Summer holidays make it hectic. I will try and delve into the book again this evening.
Clare

Offline miskimmin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 13 August 09 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Clare,
I've discovered a good many details, I'll let you share them with the forum if you want, but they describe his last moments and that also that of his friend Lt. Knight.

all the best

Iain

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 13 August 09 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Have asked for a translation from a Swiss/French Friend.   Hope to have it soon.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 14 August 09 00:15 BST (UK) »
I have read this series of posts from beginning to end.  What a fascinating story - and so good that the family has the documentation back in their care.  Also, through the magic of the computer and the Internet, other peoples' stories are intertwined and outstanding questions are answered.  Thanks for sharing the outcome of this!

Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline IanandArthur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 August 09 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Iain

I copy from the Tribute Book in Memory of my Great Uncles, Ian and Arthur Thomson;

19th June 1940; Brigadier Stopford to Lord Trenchard, Colonel of The Royal Scots Fusiliers;

Heavy fighting followed until on the 27th(May?) the R.S.F. were obliged to withdraw some 1200 yards to the Comines-Ypres canal;a withdrawl 'which was very skillfully carried out.'
''I went up to see them during the afternoon and found them quite cheerful, although they had suffered a certain number of casualties and had lost most of their first line transport owing to the fact that the bridges over the canal had been blown up. During th evening orders were recieved thet the position must be held at all costs for another 24hours in order to enable the rest of the B.E.F. to get away.This message was passed to the Batallion and I recieved the heartening reply from Colonel Tod that the R.S.F. would do all that was required of them.The enemies attacks lessened during the evening and I again went up to see Colonel Tod that night leaving him at about 3am on 28th.''

I will type the rest out another time as it is late and I don't want to rush it.
Hope you understand.

Clare