Author Topic: Military Tribute Book - Two Brothers  (Read 13398 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Military Tribute Book - Two Brothers
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 March 09 22:17 GMT (UK) »
The following information is from the CWGC Debt of Honour:

Name: THOMSON, ARTHUR JOHN
Initials: A J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Gordon Highlanders
Unit Text: 2nd Bn. The London Scottish
Date of Death: 19/02/1945
Service No: 87705
Awards: T D
Additional information: Son of James Albert and Jessie Marshall Thomson, of Wimbledon Common, Surrey; husband of Lilian May Thomson, of Wimbledon Common.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: 12. B. 21.
Cemetery: RHEINBERG WAR CEMETERY

Name: THOMSON, IAN SCOTT
Initials: I S
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Scots Fusiliers
Unit Text: 2nd Bn.
Date of Death: between 28/05/1940 and 30/05/1940
Service No: 64656
Additional information: Son of James Albert and Jessie Marshall Thomson, of Wimbledon Common, Surrey.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 6.
Cemetery: BUS HOUSE CEMETERY

The Scottish National War Memorial lists their place of birth as Edinburgh

Anne

Offline IanandArthur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 20:25 BST (UK) »
Dear Sue and Anne
Thank you so much for following up my messages about Ian and Arthur, 'The Two brothers'. Their sister, my Granny, was called Norah and my mother (67 yrs old) is called Fiona.
My brother came to stay last weekend. You may be interested to know that he was born on the 19th February, the same date that Arthur died and he has called his son Arthur. I thought that my brother had a copy of the tribute book but sadly he does not. If you could possibly retrieve the copy your Aunt had and also the documents on my Great Grandfather I would be most gratefull.
I appreciate that this may be very difficult or even impossible so do not worry if not.
Anne,Thank you very much for posting the CWGC details for me. My mother Fiona visited one of the graves about 4years ago and I thought that it was in Belgium so I need to check up on that.
Thank you to you both again.
Best wishes,
Clare

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 21:51 BST (UK) »
Dear Clare,

Am making efforts to get document back re Albert Thomson and possibly book.   Hope to have more news soon.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline IanandArthur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 22:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Sue
Many thanks for your efforts.
Clare

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare,

I have both the book and the article back from the respective people I gave them to!

The article (I couldn't remember what it actually was)turned out to be the quarterly magazine of Brown Brothers called "The Accessory" dated 1952 and it has James Albert Thomson's obituary in it from the company.   He had died on 20th June 1952.

Could you PM me an address to which I can send them.

I am glad they are "coming home".

Sue

ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline IanandArthur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue
That is fantastic news; I can't thank you enough! My brother will be thrilled to have his own copy of the tribute book. Please convey my grateful thanks to the people who let you have tham back.
I tried to send you a pm this morningbut I don't think it worked so am at a bit of a loss.I will try and get my daughter to help thisevening! Yesterday my mother gave me a letter from the man who was with Arthur when he died which whilst very sad to see in black and white I am glad to have.
Again thank you so much for all your efforts without which we would not be where we are today.
Very best wishes
Clare

Offline miskimmin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
My grandfather served under Lt. Thomson in france and was captured after the battalion's last stand on the Ypres-Comines canal.
I am currently investigating the action and have come into the possession of many documents written by the owner of the farmstead afterwards that mention him.

In the book are there any photo's on the battalion? or references to which company was which? The records were destroyed in the 80's and I'm trying to gather as much inormation from as many sources.

Thanks in advance

Iain

Offline miskimmin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 July 09 15:34 BST (UK) »
Just an aside... How do you PM in here? I'm not sure the two main poeple in this thread are still about! ???

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 July 09 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am still about and I had the book, retrieved it from whence it went, and gave it back to the relative.   I saw your original E-mail and have PM's the family person I sent it to just in case they are not still subscribed to the subject.   I do hope you will shortly hear because the info will be mutually beneficial I am sure.

There were pictures in the book and lots of details BUT as I read it a long time ago I can't remember exactly what.

To PM you need to put your cursor on the little symbols on a message and it comes up with the prompt PM (I think - I am sure someone cleverer than I am will put you right on this).

I hope this all works out for you.     I shall be watching the replies.

Sue