Author Topic: Whereabouts of "Reedham Asylum For Fatherless Children", 19th C.  (Read 18409 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Whereabouts of "Reedham Asylum For Fatherless Children", 19th C.
« on: Tuesday 18 January 05 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
Could someone please tell me where exactly was the location of the Reedham  "Asylum for Fatherless Children".  In the 1871 and 1881 Census two children of one of my ancestors,  John Kershaw, who were made fatherless by his death when run over by a London Omnibus at Highbury Corner in 1870, appear there.  Mary Kershaw was 9 years old in 1871, and her younger brother Raleigh was only 3.  The other 6 children of their family, including the youngest who was only a few months old, were looked after by their widowed mother Mary Ann and later by their grandfather too.
Does this place still exist, and where might I find records of its existence.  It was definitely somewhere in Surrey.
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whereabouts of "Reedham Asylum For Fatherless Children", 19th C.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Nicky,
Purley seems to be the place, and the Trust looks as though it is flourishing today - quite an Old Boys/Girls feel about it!  Maybe it was not nearly such an oppressive place as I first imagined.
Keith

Offline steamwolf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 February 05 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Keith,

I was born (1948) and brought up in a house opposite to the Reedham Home/School. I think we might still have some photographs showing the school, in the winter of 1963, in the snow. I used to cut through the school grounds as a short cut to visit friends in Purley. The school also used to be run as a farm at one time, I assume to help with the running costs, and I can remember watching the plowing and harvesting. After the harvest, pigs were placed in the fields between the school and road to glean any pickings left by the harvesters.
In the  late 60's (I think) part of the grounds were sold (or leased) off to the local education authority and a new primary school was built .
I don't know what happened to the site when the home was closed, but if you want to go see for yourself, it was up a road called Old Lodge Lane, turn left (going south) off the main London to Brighton road (the turn used to be opposite the old local council offices but I don't know if they are still there), up past Reedham Station, under two railway bridges. The main school entrance was then about 200 yards past the second railway bridge, on the left, a long curving drive up the hill. The school grounds that I remember then used to run along Old Lodge Lane for at least the next half mile.
Next door to my old house, now demolished, were two pairs of semi-detached cottages, which originally housed workers and their families from the home. The home itself was at the top of the hill, looking out over the grounds in both directions.
Contact me if I can help with any other memories or information.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 February 05 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Steamwolf,
Thanks so much for this fascinating recollection of Reedham from over 50 years ago - and your first post as well!  Details such as yours are invaluable, and I had thought this line of enquiry had rather ground to a halt.
I have since spoken to someone else about this place, and he said that there was possibly some kind of collection/museum of memorabilia open one morning a week; but I must get down to Purley soon and have a good old walk about for myself.
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline ROSA Historian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 March 07 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Keith - if you are still seeking info on the Asylum for Fatherless Children at Purley in Surrey, you may like to contact me through the Reedham Old Scholars' Association website at www.reedham.org.uk  Our archives do include  records of your ancestors Mary and Raleigh Kershaw.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 March 07 22:30 GMT (UK) »
ROSA Historian (How formal an address this sounds!)
This is wonderful news, after such a long pause in this thread.  To hear that you do indeed have a record of these two young KERSHAW children after the tragic events of July 1870 is tremendous.
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to contact me on here, and I'll get in touch with you through the website you provide very shortly...
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 March 07 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Nothing to do with Keith's enquiry, but really interesting Reedham links.  My primary school (Chipstead Valley) used to go to Reedham for swimming lessons, and I also remember going to scout events in the grounds.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 March 07 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Julian,
Yes, it really is an excellent website, and I've just e-mailed on there and will wait with bated breath to see what I'm able to discover about these 2 young children sent away from home at such a tender age...
keith