Author Topic: Had a break through  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Had a break through
« on: Tuesday 06 April 04 13:10 BST (UK) »
After lots of searching and false starts ... and not even knowing if the place existed in Victoria Australia ..... I have finally found written proof of the birth of my paternal grandfather. Lots of cheering and carrying on.
Now i just need to find out when his parents came to Australia.

His parents were Samuel Shipp and Elizabeth Downs and they were married in Gloucester in 1844.

If it is available and any one has a copy of the 1841 census for Gloucester could they please check for the above people.

In 1841 Samuel was 17 and Elizabeth was 23 i think ... bit hard to read the writing and she was born in what looks like Rangeworthy.

Thank you

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:Had a break through
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 April 04 03:13 BST (UK) »
I have kinda worked out that Samuel and Elizabeth came to Australia prior to 1864 as that was when my grandfather was born in Victoria.

Can't seem to find any of the births of his brothers and sisters yet so maybe they didn't arrive here too early.

If it is possible could some one check the 1861 census to see if they turn up then.

Samuel Shipp born c1824
Elizabeth Downs born c1818ish (can't read the age properly on grandfather's birth certificate)

They married in 1844 in Gloucester

Thanks

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline Alex_Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Had a break through
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 September 04 14:31 BST (UK) »
Jaki

I had a look in 1851 census for Gloucestershire but there is no suitable Samuel. When you say they married in Gloucester in 1844 do you mean in the city of Gloucester or the county of Gloucestershire? If it is the city then searching the 1841 census is a daunting task. Do you have a copy of the marriage cert and who is Samuel's father?

Alex
Wood, Aucterless, ABD
Milne, Aberdeen, ABD
Williams, Newnham, Gatcombe(Lydney),Berkeley, GLS
Johnstone, Rerrick, KKD
Johnstone, Gloucester, GLS
Johnstone, Lancaster, LAN
Stevens, Trowbridge, WIL

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 September 04 14:58 BST (UK) »
There is a small village in Gloucestershire named Rangeworthy so you read that OK. It is very close to the small town of Thornbury, between Bristol and Wootton-under-Edge
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 October 04 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Have just found this posting of mine again thanks to the new links that have been put on the site.

Just an update ....

Have found that my great grandparents , Samuel and Elizabeth, arrived in Australia in 1849 and that all but 2 of their children were born here. I found this information from a cousin who I stumbled across through another site and he has given me a lot of information including the fact that they married April 11 1846 in Yate. (Have yet to find the marriage certificate to confirm this) I have also discovered that my direct line liked the names of William and Joseph ... it seems to alternate generations back to about 1630 although then it arrives at a Daniel .... lol.

Thanks

Jaki