Author Topic: Earsden Parish Look Up  (Read 2722 times)

Offline twardroper

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Earsden Parish Look Up
« on: Friday 16 May 08 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for the baptism record for Joseph Duxfield born abt 1803.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tony Wardroper
My ggg grand father's names are Wardroper Reah Hillyard Thompson Sillick Druery Duxfield Heads Blacklock Richley Coulsen Riddle Scott Brown Dent - mostly from N.E.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Earsden Parish Look Up
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 May 08 22:42 BST (UK) »
The IGI extraction project covered Earsdon in 1803 and I don't see a Joseph Duxfield there at all.  It also covered 1802 and 1804.

There is a baptism 3 May 1807 in Tynemouth Christ Church, a birthdate 11 Jan 1807, 2nd son of  Timothy Duxfield of Monkseaton, native of Earsdon, labourer, and his wife Mary Mires of Lanchester

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline twardroper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 May 08 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

His father is also Joseph (from  marriage certificate). IGI really only shows 3 possible candidates for  the father  - baptised at Earsden 1763, 1768 and 1787 (probably to late). Hence my request for an Earsden look up.

Tony

My ggg grand father's names are Wardroper Reah Hillyard Thompson Sillick Druery Duxfield Heads Blacklock Richley Coulsen Riddle Scott Brown Dent - mostly from N.E.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 May 08 02:28 BST (UK) »
Did the marriage certificate give an address?  Earsdon was a huge parish back then covering an area of several sqare miles and many towns and villages.

I can't offer to go to the archives as I am off on holiday next week but I have found a Joseph Duxfield in the 1851 census index who might fit - age 47, born Newsham, labourer.  From the folio number it looks like his wife was called Catherine.  Also a Joseph Duxfield age 62 born Blyth (very close to Newsham) a husbandman but perhaps a little young to be his father.

c-side

Offline twardroper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 May 08 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Joseph Duxfield b abt 1803 Northumberland was married at Dalton-le-Dale 1839 to Jane Moore b abt 1811 Wallsend - at that time he was living at Bishopwearmouth. His father Joseph was a husbandsman.

Tony

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 May 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
OK.  So not likely to be living in Blyth, married to Catherine in 1851!  There were a lot of Duxfields in South East Northumberland around that time.  What makes you think that Earsdon is the parish you need?

Offline twardroper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 May 08 19:16 BST (UK) »
On IGI only two parishes had Joseph Duxfields who could have been the father - these are Earsden and Tynemouth.

I picked on Earsden because there were more candidate father Josephs and because as he was a husbandsman which I felt better fitted the desciption of the parish on Genuki.

Tony

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 May 08 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

You're probably right though it's possible that the Tynemouth ones are related to the Earsdon ones - I know that mine were not averse to popping over to Tynemouth for the occasional baptism.

If you're still searching when I get back from my hols I'll see what I can find.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 22:57 BST (UK) »
Joseph had died by 1861 census.
Living with his widow Jane at Atheneum St., Bishopwearmouth, and children is :
Mary Duxfield, 49, sister in law, unmarried, Grocer, b. Northumberland, Mindrum (? its very blurred) Northumberland.
In 1851 census there is a Mary Duxfield living at Walker Station, Longbenton, Head, 39, unmarried, Keeper of Grocery Shop, b. ******, Northumberland. Could be Mindrum.
Can't find her in 1841 or 1871.
Another route to finding Josephs parents.
Alan.

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins