Author Topic: Toole to Bristol MA USA, Census L/U 1910, or 1920, or anything  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Patk

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Toole to Bristol MA USA, Census L/U 1910, or 1920, or anything
« on: Wednesday 19 January 05 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Would appreciate any advice on John Lawrence Toole, born 1880  Manchester, Lancashire. Went to the USA 1902 and I believe served in the USA armed forces 1914-1918.
Possibly the 1920 census would assist me to see if he survived, plus any family details. Or any details regarding his draft papers.
Thank you,
Patk
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bouncing Emails

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: Toole to Bristol MA USA, Census L/U 1910, or 1920, or anything
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 02:43 GMT (UK) »
I looked at the WWI draft card-
Birth date is October 25, 1879.  His occupation was a mason for the US Government.  He was naturalized and married to a woman named Harriet.
Address 44 Woodlawn, New Bedford, Bristol, MA.

1920 Census
Lived at 44 Woodlawn, New Bedford
John arrived in US in 1905 and Naturalized in 1916.  Wife Harriet A. came in 1906 and was English.  Father English and Mother Irish.
Kids- John (19), Mary (8), Alexis (5),  Josephine (4), and Clara (2). Mother-in-law Martha Hallon lived with family. She was 71, widowed, born in Ireland and arrived in 1911.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Patk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Dear nutkin
I am amazed at the speed of your reply, and thank you very much indeed.
I had another look at his Ellis Island record, and he arrived 24 Oct 1904, so I guess 1905 would be near enough.
Your advice gives me a lot to go on, and I thank you very much.
Regards,
Pat

Bouncing Emails

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 15:45 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome. ;D
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Patk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 January 05 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Dear nutkin

I do not suppose in the 1920 census there was an age for John Lawrence Toole, or his wife Harriet A,
I am sorry to ask you this as I feel sure you would have noted it for me, anyway I really would appreciate your advice or confirmation again as the only marriage I can find in Manchester to a Harriet is in 1887, when he would have only been about 8. I also searched the 1881 census for the m.i.law too and I could not find her.
Nothing is ever simple with my Toole's!
Thank you anyway for the details you have already given me, I am sure they are right.
Regards,
Pat

Bouncing Emails

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 January 05 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I am so sorry.

The age in the 1920 Census was 39 years for both Harriet and John.

I checked the 1910 Census- They lived on New Boston Road, Fairhaven, Bristol, MA.  John was 30 years old and Harriet 30 years old.  The son John junior was the only child listed at this time.  The years of marriage were 4  so that would mean they were married about 1906. Other information remains the same from 1920.

Hope this helps- Kristin

Offline Patk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 January 05 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kristin,
That helps enormously, I am sure now it is the right one!
Thank you so much once again, you are terrific.
Regards,
Pat

Bouncing Emails

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 January 05 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nutkin, I am at my wits end looking for info on a JASPER C. EDWARDS  I was given info by someone from 1930 census, he was in WASHINGTON.CO.,TN. (m) 2 years to a MARY.  He was age 32, she 21.  I need more info from that census.  Where was Mary born?  Where there any kids yet? Etc.   The prob. I have had is altho people are very willing and nice about looking things up they don't include All the info on a census and, as I am sure u know, every little bit helps as a clue to further research.  Also if u have time someday could u check for Him in Tn. in 1900 and 1910 as a child w/his parents.  He was found in 1920 in Mass. listed as Jasper Atwood and then he said he and parents were (b) TN..  Atwood prob. was recorded by census taker due to Jasper's thick southern accent me thinks.  Any info on my Jasper appreciated.   Leagen
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 January 05 14:00 GMT (UK) »
1930 US Census
Tennessee/Washington County/District 4/ED 90/Page 248B

Visit 80 / Family 80
EDWARDS
Jasper C., head, home is rented (not owned), lives on a farm, male, white, 32 years old on last birthday, married when he was 30 years old, able to read and write, born in TN, his father was born in Virginia and his mother in TN, farmer by trade, not a veteran
Mary, Jasper's wife, 21 years old, married at the age of 19, can read and write, she and her parents were born in TN, no occupation

Visit 81 / Family 81 (next door to above)
EDWARDS
Wilson, owns his farm, 57 years old, married at the age of 21 (this must be a second marriage), can read and write, he and his parents were from North Carolina, farmer by trade, not a veteran
Mary, Wilson's wife, 30 years old, married at 19, can read and write, she and her father were born in South Carolina, her mother was born in North Carolina, no occupation
Cecil, Wilson's adopted son (it says that), 10 years old, goes to school and can read and write, born in Tennessee, both parents both in North Carolina

Hope this helps. Tried to look him up in the 1910 and 1900, but you didn't include his father's name, and the 1910 is only indexed (to date) for heads of households. The 1900 index does not yet include Massachusetts. Perhaps someone can do a physical check in a book for you.

Janis Garcia, Fredericktown, Ohio