Author Topic: Walter GRIEVE  (Read 15001 times)

Offline jacqlineue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thomasina Garbutt (gt gran) and me aged 7 days
    • View Profile
Re: Walter GRIEVE
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
Not sure if I have any connection to the Grieve family you are researching but I too have this surname in my tree.  My Grieve family are Helen born in Kelso 1796 but baptised in Hawick.  She married Ebenezer Simpson in 1817 Kelso.

Her parents were Hugh Grieve and Helen Walker

If there is a link please contact me.

Regards

Jac
Garbutt Ashington Northumberland,
 Simpson SouthShields,
Clark Northumberland,
Dargue South Shields, 
Atkinson South Shields,
Ellis Tynemouth and Liverpool,
Sadler tynemouth,
Leathley, Routhledge,Forrest.
Herfy Germany,USA and London
Chester London and USA
Hopkins London
Hales London

Offline hendog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
Long time since anybody added anything to this particular post. However I thought it worthwhile to put on the information that a descendant of Walter and myself (a confirmed descendant of Alexander Grieve son of Michael Grieve and Rachel Scott) have matched DNA as 3rd - 4th cousins with a confidence of "Extremely High". This would confirm that Walter WAS also descendent of Michael Grieve and Rachel Scott. I can provide further detail. Also I have quite a bit more info on all three children of Walter Grieve and Mary Oliver. Hope someone is still out there to find this of interest! All the best...

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 July 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
NED  THEY ARE BURIED IN WELLOGATE CEMETERY.THE CEMETERY WAS TRANSCRIBED AND RECPRDED BY THE HAWICH ARCHEOLOGY SOCIETY IN THEIR TRANSACTIONS. THIS IS A COPY WITH SOME ANECDOTES WHICH WERE RECORDED AT THE TIME.

8. H.S . (6 yards from B.S.).-In memory of WALTER GRIEVE who died 9th August 1848
aged :2(1 years. The days of his youth hath been shortened. And MARY OLIVER
his wife who died 1'0th March 1902 aged 82 years.
W. G.'s wife same Oliver as John Oliver, Middle Area, IV . 4:4. He had son Michsel
ho left Hawick in 1874 to take up a position with le.rge hosiery manufacturing concern
• Leicester . When 6-0 he retired to Queensborough, dying there January, 1912. His son,
( 24 )
Thomas S. Grieve, is senior partner of the important firm T. Grieve & Co., Ltd., hosiery
latch needle manufacturers, Queen Street Works, Leicester. ·waiter also had daug. Agnes
who m. Andrew Butler, a Crimea and Indian Mutiny veteran, and an amiable Christian
man 1i,nd worker, issue-William, tailor, m. Janet Shepherd (de.ng. Margaret m. Councillor
John Burns Elliot, cashier, Gas Company); John, Newcastle-on-Tyne; Mary, m. Andrew
Turnbull, smith, Selkirk; .and Maggie. Walter had brother, Alexander Grieve, mill fore
·man, d. Galashiels, 30th June, 1848, aged 42; wife, Elizabeth Young, d . 12th March, 1914,
aged 77, issue-Rachel, m. James Mathieson; Barbare.; Elizebeth, m. J ,ames Russell, mason
(family-James, watchmaker; Alexander, m. Margaret Crozier, gran ddal.lghter, Margaret
Williamson, merchant, Kirk Wynd; Elizabeth, m. Robert Gall, gas employee; Ellen, m.
John Young; and ' Charles, hosiery me.nu.facturer, m. Isa, daug. of Robert Elliot, designer,
and Nellie Inglis), and son, Alexander, d. 5th April, 1926, eged 57, actuary, Hawick
Savings Bank, and mana ger , Hawick Heritable Investment Bank, Ltd., who left numerous
benefactions to his nat ive town.

THERE IS A LOT OF INFO FOR YOU TO GET YOUR TREE GOING. HOPE THIS HELPS.

turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 July 18 21:21 BST (UK) »
NED THIS IS TRANSACTION/ THEY ARE BURIED IN ROW 3 NUMBER 8.

"A Register of"
"Monumental  Inscriptions"
"IN"
"HER_ITC>RS' AREA,  WELLOGATE CEMETERY,"
"-         ·HAWICK;  ROXBURGHSHIRE"
"(WITH NoTES THEREoN)"
"by  James H.  Haining"
"This ·b riru             W6S  opened in  1849 u an extension to  St  Mary's Churchyard by the  Heritqrs  of  Hawick Parish and under their  control to                       &  much later date, when   by  a.  Joint  Minnie of  Agreement  between them  and the  Parish Council of the  Parish"
"of  Hawick, dat.ed lJl4 »-da. 1903,  the Parish Council accepted the   transfer  of  the   old"
"Churchyards of   St  Mary's and  this  Heritors'  Burial  Ground at  Wellogete in   terms  of"
"Section 3,  Sub-Sectioa  6,  of   the Local Government  (Scotland)  Act,    189-t,  subject  to   the Heriton  keepiJI! ...U.  IIDd  fences in  repair.     Later, under  the   Church  of   Scotland (Propert,y   &  Ealimnaeaia) Act,  1925,   Heritors  were    relieved  of   all  responsibility for"
"the upkeep of  ...US. etc.,  these charges devolving .on  the  Parish  Counqil."
"Entrance to the gro'Qlld. W6S  half-way down  the  east  border between Messer and  Not· man's stones, Row  1: 7 and  8, in  line  with  lower   middle w.alk,  e,nd  this  border was  much broader a.t :lirsi,  but a considerable strip of  ground was  taken off  to  make   the   wide  foot­ path leading to  the   present  cemetery gate,  and    at   the    oome  time  the   old   entrance   was dosed up.    The first   additional cemetery _   accommodation  would   be  provided shortly ruter the passing of  the  first   Cemetery Act  in  1855."
waddell-roxburghshire
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline hendog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 July 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan14578
Thank for this a great piece of detail and something I was not aware of. The headstone inscription itself is great as I had no date for Walter's death, but the additional detail is brilliant as it identified his brother Alexander etc which is without doubt my great great grandfather and a proven son of Michael Grieve and Rachel Scott, therefore so was Walter. This was something that I had "believed" back in 2010 but could not prove! However as per previous post I had also had this confirmed in the last couple of months via a DNA match so QED x 2. Do you have connections to this Grieve family?

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
SORRY I DONT HAVE ANY CONNECTIONS WITH GRIEVES. I AM GLAD THE INFO IS SO HELPFUL. THE TRANSACTION WERE DONE ABOUT THE 1960s but the added info brings it all together. Unfortunately the cemeteries have been ignored and have not been transcribed properly in the last 60yrs. so there is an enormous amount of info waiting from subsequent headstones in all the 3 Hawick cemeteries. I am from Selkirk and have transcribed 12 local cemeteries which the BFHS now have on Cd to help people like yourself trace their family tree. Glad to help.
waddell-roxburghshire
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline hendog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 August 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
Walter Grieve and Mary Oliver
After being able to confirm 100% both through the documentary evidence supplied by alan14578 and my DNA results that Walter Grieve was indeed a son of Michael Grieve and Rachel Scott, I have done a bit more research into the descendants of the three children born to himself and Mary. I already had done some extensive digging into Michael's line, but much less so into that of his brother Adam or sister Agnes. I now have an extra webpage for each with further details of their children where known. I have also managed to confirm that the James Hart in the 1851 census and James Grieve in the 1861 census always assumed to be a child born to Mary after Walter's death and not fathered by him was indeed such. I had even guessed the father correctly as there was a 23 year old William Hart, an irish sawyer, living in the neighbourhood around the time of the bitrth James Hart\Grieve. The evidence was found in the Roman Catholic baptismal record for Hawick which records the birth on 10 October 1849 and the baptism 7 April 1850 in Hawick of James Hart with his parents identified as William Hart and Mary Oliver. The baby was not identified as Lawful Son which suggests that William and Mary never wed. The sponsors were William Curlin and Betty Rooney, and the priest was Patrick Taggart. Mary and her family were protestant so the baptism of the infant as a Roman Catholic presumably means that was William's faith. I wonder how this sat in the commumity let alone her immediate family? Unfortunately although the mystery as to the birth of James is now resolved, it is still not known what became of him. With his bother and the family for 1851 and 1861 he can not be found thereafter. I wonder if he ended up with his father's family\relatives, possibly returning to Ireland or becoming part of the mass Irish diaspora to America and elsewhere?
All this is on my webpages
My Grieve ancestory and links to other branches http://www.genealogy.jejik.co.uk/Grieve/Grieve.html
Walter and Mary Grieve http://www.genealogy.jejik.co.uk/Grieve/appendixd.html#4
Michael - son of above - http://www.genealogy.jejik.co.uk/Grieve/appendixf.html
Adam - son of above - http://www.genealogy.jejik.co.uk/Grieve/appendixh.html
Agnes - daughter of above - http://www.genealogy.jejik.co.uk/Grieve/appendixh.html
Hope somebody somewhere finds this of interest.