Author Topic: Laing's Hotel, Peterhead  (Read 7206 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Laing's Hotel, Peterhead
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
I do beg your pardon, I missed that. No, they didn't live in the hotel. Off the top of my head, I can't give you their addresses  - I'd need to dig out my records - but neither was resident in the hotel at the time of marriage.

Apologies if you read my question the wrong way?
I was asking the question for the reason of 'why' they married in the hotel i.e. it is now obvious they weren't living there but as was mentioned previously, did Jane have an occupation?
This may have been her place of employment & what better place to marry as it would bring in revenue to their hotel as well as a good advert for future weddings?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 13:15 BST (UK) »
Jane Milne didn't have any occupation listed on the marriage certificate. She doesn't seem to have been with her parents in 1891 so she might well have been working in service somewhere. Strange that I seem not to have searched for her … I must remedy that!! :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
There is a 19 year old Jane Milne, born Cruden, in the 1891 census at Monymusk. Unmarried, she is a cook/domestic servant at the Parsonage. There are a few trees on ancestry, complete with photos etc. They have all claimed another Jane Milne in the 1891 census (despite her being born in Chapel of Garioch!).
regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
There is a 19 year old Jane Milne, born Cruden, in the 1891 census at Monymusk. Unmarried, she is a cook/domestic servant at the Parsonage. There are a few trees on ancestry, complete with photos etc. They have all claimed another Jane Milne in the 1891 census (despite her being born in Chapel of Garioch!).
regards,
flst

My Jane was definitely born in Cruden. Monymusk makes perfect sense. Her future husband, Peter Raitt, was boarding there at the time so that will be where they met. Why didn't I think of that? ::) Thank you.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 August 18 01:17 BST (UK) »
There is a 19 year old Jane Milne, born Cruden, in the 1891 census at Monymusk. Unmarried, she is a cook/domestic servant at the Parsonage.

My Jane was definitely born in Cruden. Monymusk makes perfect sense. Her future husband, Peter Raitt, was boarding there at the time so that will be where they met.

I think it's possible Jane may have worked at the hotel prior to marriage (given her occ. in 1891)?
It is known some women gave up work prior to marrying.

It may be worthwhile sending the hotel an email with some questions?

I was helping someone a while ago who'd had a relative on a census in an hotel & I emailed the hotel with what I'd found.

The hotel did have some info. from earlier times (which I was very surprised to find out) although I think it may have been a visitors book (the dates I was after weren't there, unfortunately) but they did have some surviving info. (surprisingly) i.e. an email may be worth the effort?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 August 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
This was posted on Peterhead when you were a kid.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn