Author Topic: Publican in 'Norwell'  (Read 12004 times)

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past is a foreign country, how can we go there
    • View Profile
Publican in 'Norwell'
« on: Tuesday 20 May 08 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I've just discovered my first ancestor from Notts and so this is my first post on the Notts boards!!!

My great great grandfather William Moody Lambert was born in Norwell c1859 (I am buying birth certifcate asap), he lived there until probably 1886 when he and his family moved to Tockwith, Yorkshire, which has been the base of my family home for the last 100 years.

Anyway, on the 1881 census, William is down as Publican on Gander Hill.

Just wondering Which this pub would be and if it is still there or, would William be just living on Gander Hill and be a publican somewhere else? (seems unlikely?)

Also, where is Gander Hill? Cant seem to find it on any maps?

Sorry this post is a bit vague, but as i mentioned, this is the first time I have come across a Notts ancestor! I will be posting up lots of other questiosn no doubt in the future!  :)

Many thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Lee

P.s. Census return which details the above can be found; Class RG11 - Piece 3372 - Folio 9 - Page 12

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Publican in 'Norwell'
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Lee,
Off hand I dont know where Ganders Hill is- the census suggests between "Middle Street" and "Top Town", ie in the middle of the old village. I live very near Norwell, and think there is only one pub now. But if its any use I will take a trip-maybe tomorrow if I have time, and try to find it for you. I notice he is with his grandfather Robert in 1861/71-not at a pub. Would it be any use to you if I have a look on the ground??

Sally
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 19:19 BST (UK) »
The pub is The Ploughhttp://www.newarkcamra.org.uk/pubguide/pubs/plough_n.htm If Norwell was anything like Eakring - fairly close by it had a number of pubs in the 19th cent. that have disappeared now.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 19:28 BST (UK) »
There is a "Gander Hill Cottage" in Bathley Lane, Norwell (Yahoo)

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 19:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks veyr much for your replies.  :)

The pub is The Ploughhttp://www.newarkcamra.org.uk/pubguide/pubs/plough_n.htm If Norwell was anything like Eakring - fairly close by it had a number of pubs in the 19th cent. that have disappeared now.

Thanks for that link - I couldnt find one on Google. Thats such a shame about the closure of pubs, would you happen to know if there is a pub directory or something for Nottinghamshire?

Hi Lee,
Off hand I dont know where Ganders Hill is- the census suggests between "Middle Street" and "Top Town", ie in the middle of the old village. I live very near Norwell, and think there is only one pub now. But if its any use I will take a trip-maybe tomorrow if I have time, and try to find it for you. I notice he is with his grandfather Robert in 1861/71-not at a pub. Would it be any use to you if I have a look on the ground??

Sally
Sally, that is a remarkable gesture, thank you, very much appreciated. If what Jaywit says above is true, The Plough may not even be the correct pub so I would hate you to waste your shoe soles on me!

Thanks again though, very much. :)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 19:38 BST (UK) »
LDT Have you looked at William's parentage?  It looks like he was the son of Mary Lambert who appears not to have married. This maybe having Moody as a second christian name give a clue to his father ( you will have to wait till you get his birth cert. to see) but if his father was a Moody from that neck of the woods we are probably ( through my late husband) related ;D ;D ;D
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline jamajo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My lovely gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Lee,

Have a look at this for 1881 and see if it helps  :)

www.1881pubs.com

Sue

Added   In search i typed in Norwell ( for town)
Norris  ( Somerset, Oxfordshire )
Evans  ( Berkshire )
Goodenough ( Berkshire )
Lloyd  ( Berkshire, Canada)
Dance ( Berkshire, Portsea, USA, )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 19:41 BST (UK) »
LDT Have you looked at William's parentage?  It looks like he was the son of Mary Lambert who appears not to have married. This maybe having Moody as a second christian name give a clue to his father ( you will have to wait till you get his birth cert. to see) but if his father was a Moody from that neck of the woods we are probably ( through my late husband) related ;D ;D ;D
I havent got as far back as the parents yet - I am very (very!) early in my research of the 'Lamberts'! --- but watch this space!!!!

I think you coudl be right with the link though - 'Moody' seems a peculiar middle name????

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 19:43 BST (UK) »
Well if you need any Notts PR's there are people on here with access to them, and BTW there are still Lamberts in Newark, don't know if they are related to you. ;D ;D ;D ;D