Author Topic: Publican in 'Norwell'  (Read 12007 times)

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past is a foreign country, how can we go there
    • View Profile
Re: Publican in 'Norwell'
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 May 08 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric,

Yes, i have seen that, just trying to piece them all together at the moment and write notes on them - helps me pin down theit 'unit'.

:)

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 31 May 08 09:09 BST (UK) »
LDT Have you looked at William's parentage?  It looks like he was the son of Mary Lambert who appears not to have married. This maybe having Moody as a second christian name give a clue to his father ( you will have to wait till you get his birth cert. to see) but if his father was a Moody from that neck of the woods we are probably ( through my late husband) related ;D ;D ;D

Just got the birth certificate back, and as you suspected he was the son of Mary Lambert. The name and occupation of the father are both left blank so this obvioulsy means illegitamacy.

How on earth do i find the father?!

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 31 May 08 09:27 BST (UK) »
LDT Have you looked at William's parentage?  It looks like he was the son of Mary Lambert who appears not to have married. This maybe having Moody as a second christian name give a clue to his father ( you will have to wait till you get his birth cert. to see) but if his father was a Moody from that neck of the woods we are probably ( through my late husband) related ;D ;D ;D

Cool, just found a George Moody living in Ossington (which is very close to Norwell as Sally has said earlier). Born c1926 and lodging as a farm labourer. This could be him I suppose but is it ever possible to accurately trace an illegitamte child?

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 31 May 08 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lee,
I will send a longer reply when I have time, but, thought I would let you know that I have found a  MATTHEW MOODY age 21, labourer in Brickfield, born Gainsborough Lincs, in NORWELL census,1851.
Before you assume that William's father was a Moody, (which is a good assumption I think) you may like to make sure that Moody is not a name from the maternal side of the Lamberts. There are a lot of Moodys in this bit of Notts- mainly Laxton, Kneesall.

Sally
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 31 May 08 20:14 BST (UK) »
Cool, just found a George Moody living in Ossington (which is very close to Norwell as Sally has said earlier). Born c1926 and lodging as a farm labourer. This could be him I suppose but is it ever possible to accurately trace an illegitamte child?

Hi Lee,
I will send a longer reply when I have time, but, thought I would let you know that I have found a  MATTHEW MOODY age 21, labourer in Brickfield, born Gainsborough Lincs, in NORWELL census,1851.
Before you assume that William's father was a Moody, (which is a good assumption I think) you may like to make sure that Moody is not a name from the maternal side of the Lamberts. There are a lot of Moodys in this bit of Notts- mainly Laxton, Kneesall.
Sally

Wow, thanks for that Sally (again). So that's 2 possible culprits then (I've just found the Matthew Moody you mentioned!) . . .

How common was it for the illegitmate child to be named after the potential father's surname?

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 09:05 BST (UK) »
I think from what i have read, (and seen on censuses etc)that it was fairly common to use a father's surname as a middle name, as it was to use maternal surnames.
How you trace the father of your William i haven't a clue!! I wish i had as I have similar questions in my tree!! This is probably too late a birth to hope that the parish clerk/vicar added any useful comments in the register, and too late for a bastardy inquiry etc. Norwell is in the Southwell Union, but there is no reference to Mary or William in the Southwell papers at the Nat Arch ( although a John Lambert was an officer at the time).
Have you got WML's marriage cert- a very unlikely poss that the father is named on it?I suppose he might have known his father however, as there seems to be more than just him born to Mary, acc to the 1891/1901 etc.
Do keep us informed- I am starting to find your Mary quite fascinating.
Sally
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 16:41 BST (UK) »
Yes Mary had more than one illigitimate child.
Fanny dtr of Mary baptised 11 Oct 1868
Emily Jane dtr of Mary 15 May 1869
Eleanor Annie dtr of Mary ( servant this time others only said spinster) bapt. 8 Apr 1876 and received into church 27 May 1876
I forgot to take the details  of William with me and I didn't look back before 1860, but that's not a problem I can go back to the library later in the week.

BTW Bapt. 9 Feb 1880 George William Lambert son of William Moody publican and Hannah Maria Lambert, keeping it in the family.

Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 16:59 BST (UK) »
Wow! Jaywit, where on earht did you find that info?! Thank you though, so much!

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 17:03 BST (UK) »
Nottinghamshire libraries are very good, I wasn't sure wether mine had Norwell PR's but it did. I just forgot to write the date down and I didn't go far enough back, but that's not a problem. If you want anything else from Norwell pr's ( I think they go up to 1900) just let me know in the next 24 hours and I will look for you later in the week.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk